I'm no longer a Citroen owner

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

I'm no longer a Citroen owner

Post by Kowalski »

After many years and many miles of Citroen ownership I'm no longer a Citroen owner, no longer even a French car owner.

The obvious car to replace my C5 with was a newer C5, an X7 in fact. Citroen changed the practical hatchback into a less practical saloon and that meant that I'd need a C5 estate if I was to get another Citroen. Searching for C5s there aren't so many about, even fewer with the Hydractive suspension. My next car to search for was a 508, again an estate. So I found one, test drove it and wasn't impressed.

The choice came down to a Mondeo, an Insignia or a Mazda 6 and the Mazda won in the end. Its very different to drive, Mazda have tried to make it sporty. The gear shift has a shorter throw and the ride is much more firm but that means it dives much less under braking. In terms of practicality it has more steering lock and bigger mirrors than the old C5. The C5 was a good car but I prefer the Mazda!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: I'm no longer a Citroen owner

Post by Peter.N. »

Me too, after about 30 years of hydropnumatic Citroens from CXs to C5s. The CXs were fantastic, the XMs very good but I don't really car a lot for the C5 - early ones of course. I am now running Peugeot 406s, I reckon they are the best car Peugeot have made and the 8 valve Hdi engine is the best engine, and I can repair them.

The C5 was rather a disappointment after the XM and CX, large and fairly comfortable but not up tp previous standards, the 406 is not quite as big and doesn't have quite the same ride but for a combination of ride and handling I haven't found anything better, even the ride is less jittery than then C5.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear from you Kowalski :D All the best with your Mazda....

I still fancy an RX-8....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Peter.N. wrote:Me too, after about 30 years of hydropnumatic Citroens from CXs to C5s. The CXs were fantastic, the XMs very good but I don't really car a lot for the C5 - early ones of course. I am now running Peugeot 406s, I reckon they are the best car Peugeot have made and the 8 valve Hdi engine is the best engine, and I can repair them.

The C5 was rather a disappointment after the XM and CX, large and fairly comfortable but not up tp previous standards, the 406 is not quite as big and doesn't have quite the same ride but for a combination of ride and handling I haven't found anything better, even the ride is less jittery than then C5.

Peter
I felt that in some ways the C5 was a massive step forward from the Xantia. I went from a XUD9 with 90 bhp to a DW10 with 138 bhp and got an extra gear at the same time. I got a computer screen, satnav, tyre pressure sensors, parking sensors, self dimming mirror, cruise control and xenon directional headlights too. The ride was more comfortable than the Xantia but the C5 wallowed and would dive under braking too. The Xantia was better to drive than the C5 (you could tell what the tyres were doing but never could with the C5) but was but underpowered

It was a big car to park and I couldn't always get it into the parking spaces at work in one go, even with the parking sensors and an empty bay either side! The suspension was reliable and needed none of the maintenance that the Xantia needed. No sticking height correctors or sphere replacements required. The downsides were that I had to replace a clutch and flywheel, It also needed two front brake calipers, hygroscopic fluid is not as good as LHM!

I'm sad to see the C5 go after 7 years but it was getting old and it was time for it. The Mazda has its strengths but just in terms of reliability it has an enviable record to compete against.
CitroJim wrote:Good to hear from you Kowalski :D All the best with your Mazda....

I still fancy an RX-8....
The RX-8 isn't the only interesting car that Mazda makes don't forget about the MX-5!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Mine was only the 2.0. Hdi, I did have a 2.2 which I must admit handled and rode better but the fuel consumption was abysmal so I got the 2.0. which was much better, 60 mpg on a decent run and only £145 road tax.

The way you describe the suspension was just how I found it, I drove an XM last year and the ride was superb in comparison, if there was a decent affordable 2.1 manual estate about I would have it.

Peter
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I had a Mazda 323 (78 plate I think), anyway lovely car, done everthing I asked of it, never let me down once. Sold it to my brother, he put it into a ditch, waste height in water, had it pulled it out a drove it home - then sold it on!!

I own an X7 and unless I can be convinced that this new suspension system Citroen have developed is any good, this will probably be my last Citroen. I agree with the ride softness comments, as Citroen have devoloped it the suspension has becomoe firmer, even with the 3rd sphere, yes there is less body roll but in straight line crusing the X7 softness is no match for the earlier Citorens I have owned.

Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I didn't buy them to corner at 60 mph I bought them for comfort. :shock:

Peter