Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mayor Anne Hidalgo, banning all cars that are registered before 1997, with a fine of 39 Euros, which rises to 78 Euros as of 1st January 2017.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes spot on James, Dont know if its been discusssed on here before, but I picked it up from the "Drawing of the Month" from Gazoline Magazine.

Not sure where the 235 cities came from, but Paris is definitely one of them.

Bit more info here

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and seeing as it got a mention...a nice two tone which would be subject to the "ban"

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

and the big red STOP light fits right in :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Now if you ever holidayed in Scarborough as a child, then you may well have had a ride on the North Bay Minature Railway from Peasholm to Scalby Mills. My particular vintage for this was early 60's. The railway was opened on 23rd May 1931, and Triton resplendant in apple green arrived in 1932, and 84 years later, pulled our little train yesterday and hopefully created some memories for the next generation.

So here's Triton, as my Picture of the Day, or should I say yesterday :)

Now as a child I was under the impression that they were steam locomotives but my illusions were shattered. I asked the driver, the rather stupid question for anyone in the know,......has it been converted to run on diesel now? To which he replied It always has sir! The illusion of steam was given by a "Steam Outline"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely :D I always like pictures of trains Neil, even baby ones...

The perspective of this picture make it look full-size...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Its always nice to find information freely given and well researched on all manner of topics on the good oldinternet.
Yes as you might expect there is a minature railways forum :-D and this compehensive little piece by Colin Peake probably tells most people more than they ever wanted to know about larger guage minature railways in the UK, but its there waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

Larger Than Life-Colin Peake examines the larger gauges in the miniature railway sphere

It features a bit of Yorkshire and Lancashire, a touch of Devon, bit of Scotland, Woburn and a more than a soupcon of Billy Butlin!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just proves by theory that there's a forum for every conceivable subject and interest...

That one is excellent :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would take my hat off to them.....but

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Well its July now......summer holidays coming up maybe....in general as a boy we always used to go away in the first two weeks of the school summer holidays. I was very fortunate those two weeks took us to all different parts of the country, and very often "way on down South" or more often than not way on down "South West" to Devon and Cornwall.

This was the late 60's early 70's before the invention of the by-pass and extensions to the motorway network into Devon and Cornwall. The journey would start from Co Durham at a ridiculous hour in the morning because we had to check in at the B&B in Torquay, Ilfracombe, Helston/ Newton Abbot/ Coombe in Teignhead or wherever by 6.00 Saturday Night!

Now in those days and at that time of the year Somerset/Devon and Cornwall were logjammed with cars and caravans all doing the same thing. I did learn then of course that on a boiling hot day in a traffic jam it was necessary to make the interior of the car clad in vinyl seats even more oppressive by operating the heater full blast, to prevent the engine "boiling over". By this time having been on the road since 4.00 in the morning, and progressing at about 1 foot per hour its amazing anyone actually made it to start their holidays!

So here's a queue of holidaymakers in the 1970's

http://holidayroads.webs.com/photos/und ... y%2075.jpg

Anyone have similar memories, and are the traffic problems down to Devon and Cornwall any better now...its a while since I've been down that way! Bridgewater in Somerset used to be an absolute nightmare for some reason.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

d
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Well its July now......summer holidays coming up maybe....in general as a boy we always used to go away in the first two weeks of the school summer holidays. I was very fortunate those two weeks took us to all different parts of the country, and very often "way on down South" or more often than not way on down "South West" to Devon and Cornwall.

This was the late 60's early 70's before the invention of the by-pass and extensions to the motorway network into Devon and Cornwall. The journey would start from Co Durham at a ridiculous hour in the morning because we had to check in at the B&B in Torquay, Ilfracombe, Helston/ Newton Abbot/ Coombe in Teignhead or wherever by 6.00 Saturday Night!

Now in those days and at that time of the year Somerset/Devon and Cornwall were logjammed with cars and caravans all doing the same thing. I did learn then of course that on a boiling hot day in a traffic jam it was necessary to make the interior of the car clad in vinyl seats even more oppressive by operating the heater full blast, to prevent the engine "boiling over". By this time having been on the road since 4.00 in the morning, and progressing at about 1 foot per hour its amazing anyone actually made it to start their holidays!

So here's a queue of holidaymakers in the 1970's

Anyone have similar memories, and are the traffic problems down to Devon and Cornwall any better now...its a while since I've been down that way! Bridgewater in Somerset used to be an absolute nightmare for some reason.

Regards Neil
It's not a lot better now! Currently 4-5 mile que's East and West bound at Temple due to widening of the single lane section, pretty much daily from half 9 through to half 6ish, a lot of locals take the Plymouth route to avoid it! Further down its the Perranporth turning that blocks things up, we don't travel far in peak season now ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Bridgewater in Somerset used to be an absolute nightmare for some reason.
It still is :twisted: I'm currently traversing it every day and it's still a bottleneck for the West Somerset/North Devon coastal resorts where traffic from the M5 is directed off... It's then along the A39 which for the most part is more akin to an unclassified road than it is to a major A classification trunk road...

And silly Beeching cut the rail links to both Minehead and Ilfracombe. He must have never seen the roads around there at the time... Minehead station (now the West Somerset railway) still sports extended 12 coach platforms to allow it to take the long holiday trains that used to bring happy campers from the North down to Minehead Butlins direct...

The M5 too... Don't even go there...

We had our own caravan at Blue Anchor, near Minehead, when I was a kid so the trip to the seaside was never too long or difficult but we still had to negotiate Bridgewater and the A39 to get there... It was never a quick journey... Oh and the vinyl seats.. A blanket sorted that!

The Mini Van reminds me strongly as for many years when I was a kid dad had an Island Blue wooden Mini Traveller...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Ah. memories Jim, I did part of my National Service at Norton Manor Camp, Taunton, we could hitch hike to Blue Anchor from there and if lucky even get to Minehead.

On a later occasion I took my wife down that way, we stopped off at Butlins Minehead and went for a swim, the pool was bitter cold and if my missus hadn't helped me out I'd likely have drowned. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Ah. memories Jim, I did part of my National Service at Norton Manor Camp, Taunton, we could hitch hike to Blue Anchor from there and if lucky even get to Minehead.

On a later occasion I took my wife down that way, we stopped off at Butlins Minehead and went for a swim, the pool was bitter cold and if my missus hadn't helped me out I'd likely have drowned. :(

Ps. Beeching did the only thing that could be done at the time, if Attlee's government hadn't nationalised it all the private companies who built it in the first place would have kept it running.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.