Top Gear again!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Top Gear again!

Post by daviemck2006 »

Who is all glad that Chris Evans has packed up after 6 shows? 6 shows too much for the little red weasel!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Top Gear again!

Post by Stickyfinger »

100% glad.....Mr Boobing about and shouting like a kid has gone.....wheyyyyyy
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I think they should give Matt a chance as head presenter, and give the show a big revamp, so it's all new, not more of the same as Clarkson did.

And ditch Eddie Jordan. He's annoying and can't drive to save his soul.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

With Jordan and Ginge gone the show would be great i think, once Matt settles down and the awkwardness falls away i think it could do well.
I will still be watching the new clarkson show though.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Truth of the matter is Top Gear WAS Clarkson. With him gone, it's something else albeit with the same name. Bit like the band still touring as Canned Heat - although all the original members are dead!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

When they make it a sensible show about normal cars and running same as it was in the very early days I'll watch it again.

Until then... So long and thanks for saving me the time I might have wasted watching it. An hour to me is valuable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On a different forum I am a member of I posted this in response to basically the same thread;

"The problem the BBC have is that Top Gear was (during the Clarkson era) a massive cash cow. They could not just drop it. OK, Chris Evans always had a huge pair of shoes to fill, and it could have been (and was) a poisoned chalice. He has done the sensible thing in quitting. This could well put a buffer between Clarkson Top Gear and the next phase of the program, allowing the BBC to develop it further. If Matt Le Blanc is allowed to be the presenter he could be, Top Gear could well be successful again."
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, words of wisdom :D
Hell Razor5543 wrote: Top Gear could well be successful again."
I really hope that will be the case [-o<

There's precious little worth watching as it is...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

It most certainly got better as it progressed, but, chris maintained the Loud persona, tg isnt that, imo.
I honestly don't think Chris had much choice but go, would be interesting to know if it were ever on the cards for him to do more than that, but trying to use the same format but with new presenters was never going to work, i very much like the 2 road test guys, they seem to know their onions, sabine and eddy, not sure, matt leblanc was actually pretty decent, decent style and quite listenable, Really didn't like the 'celebs' introducing each other as was far too obvious that they were reading the autocue!
Time for a change in format i think!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

CitroJim wrote:When they make it a sensible show about normal cars and running same as it was in the very early days I'll watch it again.

Until then... So long and thanks for saving me the time I might have wasted watching it. An hour to me is valuable...
I am with you on this one Jim - I liked the old days, with cars that you would see on the road and could someday see yourself owning or staying away from.
I recorded the last 4 episodes and watched them back, I think I got about 15 miutes of veiwing once all the rubbished had been removed.
If Top gear is to live then it must be revamped and targeted at a population who can possibly one day own a car the have on.
Also,
Timmo wrote:Really didn't like the 'celebs' introducing each other as was far too obvious that they were reading the autocue!
what is a celebrity? - It used to be someone who had achieved something special, not just someone who gets paid too much to do something normal that most people given the chance could do!!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I meant to say also, one of the mums on the school run said, 'Did anyone else notice that Chris Evans wore the same outfit for all the shows??' up until she mentioned that, i hadn't noticed! :-D
When 5th gear started they did attempt to go the sensible reviews format, unfortunately it comes across very dull, there's a certain style you need to be able to pull of informative honest interesting reviews, not many have it anymore, they all try to copy the humorous tg style,
There is scope for a new style of car program, but its finding the style to go with and sticking to it, Could be worse though, they may bring the 'Used car Roadshow' into mainstream telly! :-D Jason whats his chops and Penny Mammories! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Until it was mentioned elsewhere I had not noticed that CE had worn the same outfit for each episode, but it does make sense. Sir David Attenborough does the same for every wildlife program he does (light blue shirt, pale tan trousers), as his attitude is that the programme contents are important, not what the presenter is wearing.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!