A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Looks very similar!

Excellent song from tears for fears as well

Regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That is a Bj7 :)

this is a Bj8.....note the door caps for the windows.
USA Spec

and UK Spec

Indacators
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Well this is one half of a nice pair of pop videos featuring
Classic cars......far too easy for whatsthisthen? heavyweights :!: :)
The second half was to be West end Girls by the Pet Shop Boys, which I do believe has an Austin Maestro cruising through the West-End at night (3.09 to 3.11)at some point though I could be wrong. Probably a metro on its inside anyway!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...discovered PistonHeads had a decent thread on cars in music videos including a link to Stainsby Girls by Chris Rea, and a reminder for me of the excellent work of Chris Rea and a track worthy of a space on the PE Jukebox anytime!

...oh and a link to the cavorting of Britney Spears "Radar" which I will spare you from, but she did include a rather nice grey MGA :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

When is a nice pair not a nice pair that is the question......?

When one of them is a V8 Allegro? All a matter of personal taste of course. Me....I rather like the Princess, the Allegro...not so much...but still interesting and I'd give it a second look if it passed by :-D

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:When is a nice pair not a nice pair that is the question......?

When one of them is a V8 Allegro? All a matter of personal taste of course. Me....I rather like the Princess, the Allegro...not so much...but still interesting and I'd give it a second look if it passed by :-D
regards Neil

Yes! - I had a Princess, one of the best car I had in the 80's - 1.8 HL, would drag a Vauxhall Viva HB in Banger Racing Guise at 60+ straight as I die - wonderful comfort - fantastic car - Brother had a 2.2 Worsely Princess, same ride but no big differnence in performance. Biggest problem was rear swing arm rubbers & corrosion!!

What did they replace the name with?
Mine was a "Princess", then there was a "Princess 2" - I am sure there was another!! #-o
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ambassador.

I learned to drive, and passed my test in my dad's princess 2.2 hls, which took over from the wolsey 6. That probably is where I got my love of bigger comfy cars. It was a 1977 R reg, TSE 599R. Glacier white with a blue vinyl roof, and blue velour seats, with armrests. It was reliable, but needed about 3 resprays before he sold it in 1981, 4 years and about 20000 miles.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Last edited by daviemck2006 on 29 Jun 2016, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: Mine was a "Princess", then there was a "Princess 2" - I am sure there was another!! #-o
daviemck2006 wrote:Ambassador

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Yes the Ambassador....it was a "heavily updated" Princess and included a hatchback 5th Door, but not a great sales success.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

That's it!! -Thank you, I will be able to sleep now!!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
NewcastleFalcon

daviemck2006 wrote: ...Glacier white with a blue vinyl roof, and blue velour seats, with armrests......
This has got to be close Davie :) £7,250 asking price from the Netherlands details here.

It had a hatchback fitted by Tor Cars of Torrington for the owner.

They also did a line in camper conversions, quite a nostalgia fest there, waiting to be investigated...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I used to occasionally drive an Ambassador in the early 80s.. We had one as a staff car....

I quite liked it.. Comfy old barge...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I sold a glistening black Ambassador to my mate, it was an immaculate car but it literally drank petrol, there was an SU cold start device (auto choke) on it that BL and SU never really got quite right, he kept it for a long time then traded it in for a Hyundai Pony estate, a horrible piece of sh... that he kept until he died.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, they certainly knew how to drink!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Just out of idle curiosity, was the Austin/Morris 2200/Wolseley six, and subsequently the Princess the only cars ever in the history of the World, to be fitted with a straight-six mounted transversely at the front?
from Wiki
The Austin 1800 range was expanded in 1972 when a 2.2 L six-cylinder version of the BMC E-Series engine was installed transversely. The Austin and Morris models were called 2200 and the Wolseley version was called the Wolseley Six. Although this engine was originally designed by BMC in the 1960s it was British Leyland who completed the planned upgrade to the 1800 range when they fitted this motor. This motor then went on to be used in the same configuration on the Princess which superseded the 1800 in 1975. This motor was designed to be as short as possible so the six-cylinder would fit transversely, no water bores were between cylinders and the cylinders were too close together to allow boring; the only way to gain extra capacity was by lengthening the stroke.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had a friend who had a Wolseley Six back in the 80s... The engine bay was a bit busy as I recall and it burned a bit of oil..

Apart from that, a great car!

Can't think of another transverse straight six...

Got a feeling some Tatras were transverse V8s... The engine was in the back on those though...

There's been a few conversions using transverse straight sixes..

This has to be the best:

No idea what engine it is but amazed it fits in there...

EDIT: Some detail:
1959 Saab Monster: transverse two-stroke 1.5L inline six. 138 hp, 122 mph. “The project was terminated because it proved impractical.”
Jim