Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I could come down with it, do the clutch and drive home all in a couple of days lol. I think pug/cit dealer times are only a few short hours

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

I reckon that's possible Davie ;)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Just a walk in the park Jim, and despite my knackered back I would be able to lift the gearbox, with one hand[emoji12] [emoji13] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14308
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Damn but your back must be bad! Most people can lift that gearbox with finger and thumb!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Remember osteoarthritis in hands too!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14308
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ah, that would be why then. You need to catch and eat more haggis for breakfast!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 12580
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 1487

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by RichardW »

It still books at 4.3 hours.... Here's what's involved:

1. Removing
Lift and support the vehicle.
Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
Remove :
The front wheels
The front bumper
Drain the gearbox .
Remove :
The drive shafts
The windscreen wiper arm
The scuttle
The battery
Move aside the fuse holder box .
Unclip the electrical harnesses connected to the fuse holder housing.
Remove the battery tray.

Figure : b2c2025d

Uncouple :
The gear engagement ball joint ( 2) (black reference)
The gear selection ball joint (3) (blue reference)
Remove the bolts (1).
Move aside the gear control cables.
Unplug :
The reversing lamps switch (5)
The earth lead (4)
Move aside the electrical harnesses attached to the gearbox.

Figure : b2c2001d

Turn then slacken the clutch cable adjustment nut.

Figure : b2c2002d

Remove the return spring.
Uncouple the clutch cable from the clutch fork.

Figure : b2c2026d

Remove bolts (6).
1.1. Under the vehicle
Remove the starter motor .
ESSENTIAL : Recover the starter centring pin.

Figure : b2c2027d

Remove protection plate ( 7).
Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector (petrol engine).
Uncouple the exhaust ( 12).
Remove :
The screws (10) and (11)
The reaction link (9)
The lower engine/gearbox coupling screws (8)
The gearbox closing plate

Figure : b2c2028d

Remove the lower crossmember (13).
1.2. 384F engine
Vehicle without air conditioning :
Move the radiator forward fully and hang it on the body
Protect the radiator with a sheet of cardboard
Vehicle with air conditioning :
Move aside the horn ( 15)
Move the radiator and condenser assembly (14) forward fully and support it
1.3. DV4TD engine
Remove the front left side mud guard .
Drain the cooling radiator.
Remove the radiator.
N.B. : For vehicles fitted with air conditioning, hang the condenser on the body.

Figure : b2c2029d

Remove :
The catalytic converter heat shield
The clip (16)
The nuts (17)
The catalytic converter (19)
The (18) bolt
N.B. : Tilt the engine and remove the heat shield via the top of the engine.
1.4. Removing (continued)
Position a jack under the engine block.

Figure : b2c202ad

Position a sling chain on the gearbox between " a " and " b ".
CAUTION : Fit bolts of a sufficient length.
Place the spring hook at the centre of " a " and " b ".
Remove the gearbox using a workshop hoist.

Figure : b2c2006d

Remove :
The 7 bolts of the gearbox mounting
The gearbox mounting
The upper engine/gearbox coupling bolts
The gearbox via the underneath of the vehicle
2. Refitting

Figure : b2c202bd

Check the presence of the centring pins on the gearbox (at "c" and "d").

Figure : b2c2007d

Refit the gearbox on the engine.
Refit the 5 bolts ; Tighten to 6,4 daN.m.

Figure : b2c2006d

Refit :
The gearbox mounting and its 7 bolts ; Tighten to 5,2 daN.m
The catalytic converter and its heat shield (engine version DV4TD)
The reaction link ; Tighten the bolts (10) and (11) to 12 m.daN
The gearbox closing plate ; Tighten to 4 daN.m
The starter motor ; Tighten the bolts to 2,1 m.daN
Couple up the exhaust (12).
Reconnect the connector of the oxygen sensor.

Figure : b2c2002d

Refit :
The clutch cable
The return spring
The gear control cables (in accordance with the coloured marks)
The cooling radiator (engine version DV4TD)
The lower crossmember
The front bumper
The battery tray
The fuse box
The battery
The scuttle
The windscreen wiper arm
The drive shafts (see the relevant operation)
The front wheels ; Tighten the bolts to 10,3 m.daN
Fill the gearbox.
Reconnect the battery negative terminal.
Adjust the clutch cable (see the relevant operation).
Check that there are no gearbox oil leaks.
ESSENTIAL : Perform the operations to be carried out following reconnection of the battery (see the relevant operation).
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 12580
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 1487

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by RichardW »

Although this guy manages it without even removing the front wheels, much less the front bumper!!

Richard W
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
Posts: 588
Joined: 30 Nov 2015, 20:21
x 45

Re: RE: Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by BenC5HDi »

CitroJim wrote:
I'd be very happy to do a 107 clutch, a lot easier than an Activa I reckon
Berlingo wishbones are what you really crave doing though aren't they Jim? You can admit it, it's ok [emoji13]
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: RE: Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

BenC5HDi wrote: Berlingo wishbones are what you really crave doing though aren't they Jim? You can admit it, it's ok [emoji13]
I've done 407 wishbones and lived to tell the tale. I'm sure Berlingo ones can't be as bad as those...

It's all academic for now as the workshop is closed until further notice whilst I sort out dad... No telling as yet how long that is going to take...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I'm just home after a bit of activa spirited driving. Took son in law into airport for a 5.30 am check-in. 42 miles gentle driving there. 56 miles of fun home. I must say the cornering of it is amazing! I had a good look of the tyres once parked. The pirellis on the front won't be on long. Image
Of course I hate pirellis anyway, so these wheels coming off and my 17" ones with uniroyal rainsports will be out on when I do the rear brakes. Nothing wrong with the tread of the pirellis but I don't like this cracking around the edge.
Image
There's a pic of the activa and 107 getting reaquainted with other last week.Image
And a pic of the 107 getting friendly with a sister outside work[emoji4] The 107 continues to do what it should do without any drama. Two new tyres are waiting to be fitted, that will happen this week when I get out to the tyre fitters. The clutch is getting a bit noisy, may be the release bearing getting ready to let go. Id better buy the necessary bits so I am ready to go. Or I may get a quote from peugeot or citroen just to put it in and pick it up later the same day. It may well be as easy and as cheap if the dealers have fixed price deals on. It may well still run ok for ages yet. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Good to see the cars getting on well with one another :D

Davie, your Activa is a good one... Definitely worth all the love you can give it ...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
Online
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11832
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2003

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

daviemck2006 wrote:I'm just home after a bit of activa spirited driving. Took son in law into airport for a 5.30 am check-in. 42 miles gentle driving there. 56 miles of fun home. I must say the cornering of it is amazing! I had a good look of the tyres once parked. The pirellis on the front won't be on long. Image
Of course I hate pirellis anyway, so these wheels coming off and my 17" ones with uniroyal rainsports will be out on when I do the rear brakes. Nothing wrong with the tread of the pirellis but I don't like this cracking around the edge.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
How old are they Davie ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Ive no idea the age of the pirellis. Haven't looked for the date code. I will look later. They were on the rear with new nexens on the front when I got the car. I didn't like the nexens on the front so trying the pirellis on the front. The other set of wheels have a variety of michelins, but at least 2 of them are scrap. I'm not really too happy with running any of these tyres. As far as I can remember Chris bought the set of wheels with michelins on then decided they were too old and slidy. I've never been a fan of michelins in the past either. I've always liked uniroyal, vredestien, and goodyear. I hate pirellis as the 55plate 206 my ex had kept spinning with her and me on them, I hate continentals as the only blow out I have had was one of them and it wasn't very old. The 17" wheels I have are shod in two new uniroyal and two decent uniroyal, the 107 will be on two vredestien on the front and uniroyal on the back by the end of the week but don't really need to be so fussy on it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

The pirellis date code is 0610. If I have been told correctly that's week 6 of 2010 making the 6 and a bit years old. I'd continue with them if it was a car for just about town but for the use the activa gets they need to go.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.