Insurance time again

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: Insurance time again

Post by BenC5HDi »

daviemck2006 wrote:The broker told me all I had to do was txt when I put one on and txt when it goes off. I'm always worried now with all the camera cars that I get booked for driving uninsured. But with road tax now as soon as I buy something it has no tax. There's no hiding places now!
Which broker Davie, this sounds interesting...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

xantiamanic wrote:Traders policy? Explain that to me please. I have 4 xantias, 2 currently insured, 1 on the mend and 1 virtually dexeased. Assuming i get, lets say 3 up and running would i be bettet off on one of these?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
No, traders policies are only valid for trade business use.
Coppers are wise to it and will check the terms of the policy if they stop you on a personal journey.
Playing with fire if you ask me.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: Insurance time again

Post by daviemck2006 »

BenC5HDi wrote:
daviemck2006 wrote:The broker told me all I had to do was txt when I put one on and txt when it goes off. I'm always worried now with all the camera cars that I get booked for driving uninsured. But with road tax now as soon as I buy something it has no tax. There's no hiding places now!
I'm nae telling you cos you called me a porridge wog [emoji12] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: RE: Re: Insurance time again

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

daviemck2006 wrote:
BenC5HDi wrote:
I'm nae telling you cos you called me a porridge wog [emoji12] [emoji23]

It could have been a LOT worse1
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote:
xantiamanic wrote:Traders policy? Explain that to me please. I have 4 xantias, 2 currently insured, 1 on the mend and 1 virtually dexeased. Assuming i get, lets say 3 up and running would i be bettet off on one of these?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
No, traders policies are only valid for trade business use.
Coppers are wise to it and will check the terms of the policy if they stop you on a personal journey.
Playing with fire if you ask me.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using Tapatalk
That's not correct elma, you can have social domestic and pleasure included on a trade policy but as I said you do get involved with the MIB bureaucracy.

There is one other downside, no claims discounts earned on trade policies are not accepted on private car policies if in the future you want to return to private.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know what's suddenly happened to the insurance industry, about a week ago I was getting quotes from the comparison sites for around £180 for my 406, this week they have all gone up to around £220 - 240 but I got a quote from Direct Line for £200. :? :shock: :(

Peter
elma

Post by elma »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
That's not correct elma, you can have social domestic and pleasure included on a trade policy but as I said you do get involved with the MIB bureaucracy.

There is one other downside, no claims discounts earned on trade policies are not accepted on private car policies if in the future you want to return to private.
Is that not just for a single vehicle? If it's for multiples then it would be handy.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:

Is that not just for a single vehicle? If it's for multiples then it would be handy.
After I sold the garage business I continued trading from home and at the auctions, usually with three or four vehicles at a time.
During that time, from 1988 until just a couple of years ago I shopped around regularly for the best deal, I also had trade plates which were covered by the policy (Not for SDP of course).

As a sole driver all my motoring needs were always covered, towards the end though the premiums were getting much higher and I was trading much less so I opted for a private car policy which is when I came across the problem of no claims not being accepted and despite having forty + years without claim they wanted me to start again as though I was a seventeen year old new driver.

In the end I was able to persuade LV to accept my discounts and since then there's been no problem.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

So basically, you were still a trader? Not sure that I would be comfortable having a traders policy just because I went through a half dozen "personal" car a year. With the well known insurance companies penchant for sliding out of a claim payment, I'd hate to have them do some sort of check and find that I wasn't really a trader at all.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was thinking back to when I first started trading, from home, back in 1955, it was so easy then, my first policy simply said "Any vehicle in the custody or control of the insured.", No mention of restrictions, no mention of trade or private, third party fire and theft for £7-9-6. :) That's seven pounds nine shillings and sixpence for those not of that age :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

qprdude wrote:So basically, you were still a trader? Not sure that I would be comfortable having a traders policy just because I went through a half dozen "personal" car a year. With the well known insurance companies penchant for sliding out of a claim payment, I'd hate to have them do some sort of check and find that I wasn't really a trader at all.
I think they're much more likely to hit the guy doing the opposite i.e. trading on a private car policy for which there is a clear "Does not cover for any purpose in connection with the motor trade." exclusion written on the certificate.
elma

Post by elma »

I wouldn't be massively worried about that. It's the police charging you with driving without insurance that's the concern. A trade policy that allows more than one car for personal use would be great. Whenever I've researched this I can only find a trade policy for trading and a multi car policy for personal motoring.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Your own car is always for sale though. You just can't get anyone to buy it [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

You back working at Dyce Davie?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine is up for renewal too. Usual palaver.
Cheapest was the one Confused emailed me about (and reminded me it was renewal time).
Out of a sense of obligation I did some trawling. Some of the quotes were astronomical.
Adrian Flux is phone only by the looks of things.
Admiral couldn't quote on the C5 :?:
1st Direct (I think) just got stuck in a loop when I added my son as second driver.
All had largely unanswerable questions.

I always mean to make a note of the good experiences other members have quoted, along with those on autoshite.
Invariably forget :(
I think I will stick with confused, describes me well.

As King Crimson said!