Insurance time again

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Insurance time again

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Must admit I never used comparison sites - until about 6 or 7 years ago. I used to go direct with Privilege, but one year the renewal just trebbled without reason - they probably thought the silly sod won't notice and just renew...Yeh, right, so that started my comparison days as I found I didn't have the time to spend on the end of a phoen repeating everything 20 times!

Anyway, my C5 X7 2.0 Exc., fully comp, class 1 business use, legal protection and protected NCD, £100 Excess, £100 voluntary Excess, £230, Rural Wales.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Comparison websites are a waste of time.
I tried as an experiment swapping a letter in my name and getting quotes from a comparison site.
I then got quotes directly from the same companies with my name spelt correctly and a different email address.
Typically they were about 10-15% cheaper when approached directly.

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I use comparison sites every year for both cars and very rarely stay with the same company, but always talk to the people before the purchase, this year.........Quote from Hastings £270, quote from ComparetheMarket £230, price paid after talking to the best quote (privilege) £214 (Fully Comp, Protected NC, £100 excess - no Voluntry or legal), as Bob Hoskins said in a BT advert "it's good to talk". The only problem doing it this way is you don't get the free gifts - but who cares?

Now a story - My insurance was due for a Goldwing I had and I try to sort my insurance out a month before it is due so I know what to expect, well I went on the insurers website and got a quote, good quote so thought that is that sorted, however, I then recieved the renewal through the post, it was about £50 more, so spoke with the guy on the phone and he said I could not use the webbased quote as I was not a new customer, well the conversation ended up me saying I will go eslewhere as a new customer and ended the call. He called back 10 minutes later saying if I took the quote there and then he would honor thw Web offer...........yes it is good to talk!!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I usually check the comparison sites, then get a few quotes direct from insurers either online or by phone, so that I can then discuss these with my current provider if the renewal is higher than my quotes. I haven't paid more than the previous years price for ages. Toys and crappy free gifts you can stick where the sun don't shine, but I mostly get free breakdown cover as a minimum for changing provider. I always trim down the voluntary excess to see what a difference it makes to the quote, and most times, it makes very little difference to the final figure. It's a gamble really. Take the highest excess and murphy's law says you'll make a claim! Take the lowest excess and like me, you'll be accident/claim free for 15 years. The only worthwhile "extra" for me, has been breakdown cover.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

THAT is amazing - & I thought something around that was good for the Cherokee, but that's with 50% NCB.

Now, if only I could remember why, years ago, I vowed never to have further dealings with Direct Line.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

DHallworth wrote:I've had great results recently from Direct Line for myself, Cheryl and my Dad.

They're never on comparison websites. Dad insured a 4.6 P38 Range Rover yesterday as another car on a separate policy. 0 NCB available as they're tied up on other cars. Total price with £0 excess was £157.

David.

I've never got anywhere near that quote with Direct Line, not for any of my cars, even when I lived in rural Aberdeenshire. No NCB? Why aren't they offering this to more customers?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I don't know if it's because he's got 3 other policies with them that all have maximum NCB or not. That was the first quote we got and after getting that I didn't bother going anywhere to look.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I pay £146 for the C1 and £188 for the Berlingo, both with Direct Line, living near Reading!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's about what I pay for the C1. Practically doubled when I added Robyn to the policy though....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

My concern with always going after the cheapest quote, is sometimes you get what you pay for. Whilst some of the premium is pared down by carefully selecting 'low risk' (!) drivers and charging accordingly, some of the costs must be reduced by cutting back on quality office staff ?
I've had two occasions where I've had to use my insurers after being hit by third parties, on both occasions the level of service has been dire. The first occasion my complaint against the insurers was upheld, the second occasion is still being resolved 11 months after I was hit (whilst stationary at the side of the road with a dashcam running !!). I've learned from my experience, sometimes cheapest isn't best - but you only find this out when it's too late :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My xantia is due and the renewal is £274. I was £195 for a start on the 107, up a bit as a result of the claim I had a year and a half ago. It also cost me £40 to put my old 205 on the road for a month when I needed a car when the xantia was down the road. That's over £500. For information really, as I have also bought and sold a few other cars during the year I thought I would enquire about a traders policy. So the quote is I can, for the princely sum of £492 have a traders policy, fully comp covering as many cars as I own or drive with the only restriction being that their value is less than £7500. I am seriously considering this, it also covers any driver driving my cars as long as I am in it and the excess is £150. The only downsides I can see is no windscreen or legal cover, and trade values only. I'm really undecided on this. I can't ever see me owning a car worth over 7500, any cars I buy an sell are lucky if it's even 750! I did explain to them it's a hobby, not a business, and that's OK, as long as I have at least 6 cars during the year that's fine. That's not 6 at the same time, it's 6 in total! I think I will go for it.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My cars are not usually worth repairing if anything happens to them, or I repair them myself so all I really need is basic legal cover.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

daviemck2006 wrote:My xantia is due and the renewal is £274. I was £195 for a start on the 107, up a bit as a result of the claim I had a year and a half ago. It also cost me £40 to put my old 205 on the road for a month when I needed a car when the xantia was down the road. That's over £500. For information really, as I have also bought and sold a few other cars during the year I thought I would enquire about a traders policy. So the quote is I can, for the princely sum of £492 have a traders policy, fully comp covering as many cars as I own or drive with the only restriction being that their value is less than £7500. I am seriously considering this, it also covers any driver driving my cars as long as I am in it and the excess is £150. The only downsides I can see is no windscreen or legal cover, and trade values only. I'm really undecided on this. I can't ever see me owning a car worth over 7500, any cars I buy an sell are lucky if it's even 750! I did explain to them it's a hobby, not a business, and that's OK, as long as I have at least 6 cars during the year that's fine. That's not 6 at the same time, it's 6 in total! I think I will go for it.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
You'll be required to keep your stock records up to date with the Motor Insurance Bureau notifying them promptly when you buy and sell.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The broker told me all I had to do was txt when I put one on and txt when it goes off. I'm always worried now with all the camera cars that I get booked for driving uninsured. But with road tax now as soon as I buy something it has no tax. There's no hiding places now!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Traders policy? Explain that to me please. I have 4 xantias, 2 currently insured, 1 on the mend and 1 virtually dexeased. Assuming i get, lets say 3 up and running would i be bettet off on one of these?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner