New Garage For Newport Pagnell!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: New Garage For Newport Pagnell!

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:.....another one for the old garage tourist

The Laurel Garage, Ramsbury, Wiltshire to be precise. As of 2009 it had the oldest working petrol pumps in the Country, but was only getting 10 customers per week so it may be doubtful whether it has survived to today. The street view is 2011 so the pumps were still there then.

Regards Neil
Perhaps we should all turn up in convoy in our Citroens to give them some business. See if we can run the pumps dry :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

....why not?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: Perhaps we should all turn up in convoy in our Citroens to give them some business. See if we can run the pumps dry :lol:
I suspect the pumps have probably already run dry at 10 customers per week!

Clare Kendall has compiled a photographic record over a 10-year period of independant petrol stations across the UK published in this book. NIce coffee table browse.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and another icon of the filling station world now gone the first self-service petrol station in the UK...Turnbull's Filling Station in Plymouth....the image caught my eye as being not the best composition with the telegraph/street light pole cluttering the foreground, but its redeeming feature from an FCF point of view is that looks very much like one of ours out front!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and this one is the oldest of the lot and a local news article in 2009 claimed the owner was going to refurbsh the tanks and start selling petrol again.....Turnastone Garage Herefordshire.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That Austin Atlantic broke a lot of world records when it was introduced Neil but from a sales point of view it wasn't very successful.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:That Austin Atlantic broke a lot of world records when it was introduced Neil but from a sales point of view it wasn't very successful.
The tale is nicely told from about 10-16 Minutes into this, and how out of the ashes of the Atlantic rose the Healey 100/Austin Healey 100

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Atlantic was a product or the immediate post-war 'export or die' mantra and was supposed to appeal to the yanks. It didn't as we knew not how to build a good 'yank tank'; something the yanks were far better at.

We proved much better at copying 'yank tanks' in miniture. Look at post-war Fords and Vauxhall for typical examples.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:The Atlantic was a product or the immediate post-war 'export or die' mantra and was supposed to appeal to the yanks. It didn't as we knew not how to build a good 'yank tank'; something the yanks were far better at.

We proved much better at copying 'yank tanks' in miniture. Look at post-war Fords and Vauxhall for typical examples.
The post war problem was that there was no home market for big cars, the government did their utmost to stop it happening by imposing high purchase tax and higher road tax depending on horsepower, we couldn't produce big cars for export if we didn't have a home market for them.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.