Memories of Past Cars Sadly Gone...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Memories of Past Cars Sadly Gone...

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, a 205STDT would be a lovely choice. In my mind, the best 205 after the 205 Gentry..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've never been sentimental about cars to me they're transport but I've always enjoyed fixing them hence my trade for the last 60 + years.
However I did wish I'd been able to keep this one but at the time money was more important so I sold it to a guy in San Francisco back in 1961.

I've often wondered if it still survives and on a couple of trips to SF I've looked for it, without any joy, Asking the US DMV is worse than trying to get info from our DVLA, they want a fee and you have to have a good legitimate reason for asking which unless it's to check on an accident or a defaulting payer seems to be not acceptable.
It's a 1928 Rolls Royce 20HP which I saved from going for scrap back then.

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Wonderful - straight out of The Devil Rides Out !

This was my first car (in 1965), a 1935 Rover Ten sports saloon, but BKP438. I still have the Owner's Manual for it.
It went to college in Manchester with me, and a couple of years later I acquired my next - a 1960 P5 Rover 3-litre, in City Grey. Those were the days when you could afford to do a few things on a student grant (remember those?). £1 bought you 4 gallons (18L) of petrol back then, and DoubleDiamond* 12p a pint in the Union bar.

* You can't have everything.
Chris
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Davie, a 205STDT would be a lovely choice. In my mind, the best 205 after the 205 Gentry..
I concur.

A metallic grey one would be nice as that has the black dash rather than the beige(ish) dash fitted to the gold ones. I cannot remember what the inside colour choice of the Sorrento (sp?) Green had.

They are generally a bit like hens teeth though. I do not even remember seeing that many about "at the time" either.

If a 5 door was required, then the D-Turbo (if you can find one!) or the GRDT are both good, there is little between them apart from the seating and the DT has the GTi instrument panel.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My favourite colour is Sorrento green for an STDT or Gentry Andy. Did the gentry come in any other colour? All the ones I've seen seem to be Sorrento green...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:My favourite colour is Sorrento green for an STDT or Gentry Andy. Did the gentry come in any other colour? All the ones I've seen seem to be Sorrento green...
:) Yes in that metallic gold colour, I'm afraid I do not know its correct name and then in (very rare) metallic grey the same or almost the same shade as my DT was in.

Sorrento was the most popular one, followed by the gold and lastly the grey. I'd actually suspect given its sort of 'limited availability' there may of not been much colour choice for new buyers in that the dealer would say "Sorry they only have green available" or suchlike.

From memory I've only ever seen two or three at most gold ones and one grey one.

EDIT... Sorry! I misread your post, I thought you were asking about STDT colours. :oops: :oops: The 'Gentry' I'm not sure about I think it was Sorrento Green only, at least as far as I know, complete with full black leather.

The um "import" 205 1.9 Auto is almost a gentry though, well kind of. ;)

Interestingly the 405STDT (rare!) only seemed to come in that green, complete with black (with nice green checks) seat pattern. The SRDT 405 was available in a wider choice of colours, white or grey seeming most popular for that one.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Andy, I quite like the gold colour too...

Ahh, now a 405STDT :D Another very desirable Pug!
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

" Wonderful - straight out of The Devil Rides Out ! "

Chris