Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by Stickyfinger »

If ever there was a dog perfect for the passenger seat in a E Type.....this is the guy
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A zero post day on Frenchcarchat.......couldn't let it happen. Following on from our hols in spite of the TV now being a feature of every room you ever stay in, television hasn't been watched then or since we got back, for the last 3-weeks and counting. Quite enjoying it really...I am getting nicely out of touch! So here's a reminder of the old white dot which used to appear on TV screens at the end of the evenings viewing just after the National Anthem! as my picture of the day :-D

http://amarkedman.com/wp-content/upload ... -on-TV.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've not watched the telly for months now Neil :D

Interesting TV in the picture above... Not one I recognise but if you want to find a really iconic one I used to fix many years ago look for a Philips G6. This was one of the very early dual standard colour sets available in 1967 when UK colour first started.

They were an amazing set with a great many valves and much complexity. They were either loved or hated by the TV trade...

I loved them to bits...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:I've not watched the telly for months now Neil :D

Interesting TV in the picture above... Not one I recognise but if you want to find a really iconic one I used to fix many years ago look for a Philips G6. This was one of the very early dual standard colour sets available in 1967 when UK colour first started.
I loved them to bits...
Quite a pleasing bit of furniture as well if this is one...

If you haven't discovered google books yet, I came across some "Popular Mechanics" (US magazine) issues from the 1950's which I found fascinating. I love the language and design of the adverts of that period. They were also full of the "how to make money" type ads a good proportion of which were courses to become a television engineer, or a lawnmower blade sharpener etc etc.

They are a bit awkward to view and read but I found something interesting on every page.

This one has a nice front cover

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Quite a pleasing bit of furniture as well if this is one...

That's it :D that's the one! We used to have to remove the legs if we needed to put one in the van to take it back to the workshop for repair.. We tried to avoid that as they were exceedingly heavy...

There was a console model too, with doors - a beautiful piece of furniture but even heavier....

Happy memories :D Thanks for finding it Neil!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

This is the rear view of the G6 showing about 50% of the thing...

Lovely :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Anyone know Beaford in Devon?

If a chap called Mike fulfils his ambition, it will be the location of the South West England Vintage TV Museum.

The picture I included above comes from one of his galleries. This is the description accompanying the image...
Next is a Philips Dual Standard TV, model number G25K500. This first-generation colour set was manufactured in July 1967 in time for the official start of colour in December 1967. This set uses the Philips G6 chassis, and is switchable between 405 lines monochrome and 625 lines colour. The set was donated by a very kind chap called Mike from Dorchester. As one of the first ever colour TV's in the UK, these sets were somewhat difficult to work on. All the panels were hard wired to each other, and access to components buried deep in the set was rather awkward. However, when set up correctly, the Philips G6 chassis had arguably one of the best pictures of any set of its time. There were other variations of this set (G25K501, G25K502 and G25K503) which had different cabinet styles. These sets were also to be found wearing "Stella" badges with the model number Stella ST2500.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Used to have one of those rebadged to Radio Rentals :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Anyone know Beaford in Devon?

If a chap called Mike fulfils his ambition, it will be the location of the South West England Vintage TV Museum.
No but I will as soon as that place opens Neil ;D Brilliant and what a lovely site..

I've fixed so many of his exhibits in the past and know a lot of them intimately!

Thanks for posting that.. Very enjoyed :D
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Threads turning into a Tv Nerd-Fest :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What an f'ing horrible picture Alasdair :evil:

Bit like early colour TVs had after a few years serviice as the tube started to deteriorate...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: No but I will as soon as that place opens Neil ;D Brilliant and what a lovely site..

I've fixed so many of his exhibits in the past and know a lot of them intimately!
Perhaps you need to get down to the Amberley museum, Jim. This is a bit of their collection, although I'm guessing some of these even pre-date you :-D

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: Used to have one of those rebadged to Radio Rentals :)
Yes a major technological breakthrough in the late 1960's early 1970's linked the Orpington Branch with Consett Co.Durham and good old Auntie Ada from Kent provided my Grandma with her first black and white TV. She even had a proper little folder...silver if I recall right for her Radio Times.

There was also Rediffusion on the high street.....no prizes for guessing the decade this image comes from :!: :-D

I can still do a reasonable impression of the bloke on the right today!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I keep telling Jim about Amberley . . . Get down there, Jim! :wink:
Chris
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

And thinking of Sussex, there can be snags when Citroens gather in Brighton . . .

Chris