S1 Xantia V6 - no start, no central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: S1 Xantia V6 - no start, no central locking

Post by DHallworth »

My dads old Series 1 Activa used to unlock itself whilst parked on the driveway or when he was at work. It was traced down to water ingress in one of the front door latches if memory serves me correct... He had that when I was in high school... so it was a long time ago!!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DHallworth wrote:My dads old Series 1 Activa used to unlock itself whilst parked on the driveway or when he was at work. It was traced down to water ingress in one of the front door latches if memory serves me correct... He had that when I was in high school... so it was a long time ago!!
Hi David :)

That sounds very similar to what happened to Dad's Xantia - it kept unlocking itself randomly so you'd come back to the car to find it unlocked... I'm not sure what's worse - having your car unlock itself while you're parked in the city and away from the car and finding all your contents "removed", or having it lock by itself while the key is in and the engine is running while you open a gate! #-o

On his car I'm pretty sure the problem was in the switch assembly in the front passenger door - and we just used contact cleaner on the switch and plug to fix it. The switch certainly wasn't replaced as there were no easily available over in NZ.

Naturally my locking has not misbehaved one bit since the problem went away a week ago. #-o I'm sure it is biding its time, waiting until I have been lulled into a false sense of security so it can lock the keys in the car for me... :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: Naturally my locking has not misbehaved one bit since the problem went away a week ago. #-o I'm sure it is biding its time, waiting until I have been lulled into a false sense of security so it can lock the keys in the car for me... :lol:
Oh ye of little faith! :lol:

Wise though :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Two months on and not a single re-occurrence of the phantom door locking... still scratching my head as to what the original cause was but I have given up worrying about it as I have bigger fish to fry!
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hopefully it'll now stay away for good Simon... It's a bit like the very intermittent cutting out issue on my daughter's 207. Since a BSI reset back in January it's been OK but again can go for months on end without suffering and then it has a spate of it..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Mine has occasional phantom unlocking I think, never totally sure I locked it when I return and it is open.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

elma wrote:Mine has occasional phantom unlocking I think, never totally sure I locked it when I return and it is open.
Isn't that called age ? :-D I have that problem too... (the occasional panicked, "did I lock the house/car ?" after its too late to check...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Mandrake wrote: Isn't that called age ?
I'm only 50% older than the car, we're basically teenagers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:
Mandrake wrote: Isn't that called age ?
I'm only 50% older than the car, we're basically teenagers.
That's a good way of looking at it James...

I'm nearly three times the age of my Xantia though...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm less than half the age of my motorbike :rofl2:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm younger than some of my vintage wirelesses though (just)...

I bought a Mullard transistor circuit design handbook at a vintage wireless rally at the weekend. The book is dated 1960, in the days when transistors were still very new. That was a year after I was born!

When I was born they were still just making steam locomotives....
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

and hanging people .....ahh the good old days :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:and hanging people .....ahh the good old days :)
Yes, indeed they were - just!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mandrake wrote:
elma wrote:Mine has occasional phantom unlocking I think, never totally sure I locked it when I return and it is open.
Isn't that called age ? :-D I have that problem too... (the occasional panicked, "did I lock the house/car ?" after its too late to check...
Rarely lock the car but have been known to wander off and leave the door wide open. Did it this morning :(
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:I'm younger than some of my vintage wirelesses though (just)...

I bought a Mullard transistor circuit design handbook at a vintage wireless rally at the weekend. The book is dated 1960, in the days when transistors were still very new.
In my garage in NZ, I have a General Electric (USA) P711 transistor radio made in 1958. Transistors were very expensive then (they are actually in evacuated metal cases e.g. 2N76), and they made the radio work with just 4 of them: a LO, a mixer, an IF amp/af preamp (reflex), and a class A audio amplifier. To keep battery consumption reasonable, the volume control (as well as attenuating the audio) varies the bias on the output amplifier, just keeping in the linear region. here is an advert for it https://books.google.fr/books?id=KD8EAA ... io&f=false (mine never had the optional rechargeable batteries). Despite the implications of that advert, the class A output stage is quite hard on AA cells.