Are Citroën a load of rubbish?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bigjl2
My Cars:

Re: Are Citroën a load of rubbish?

Post by bigjl2 »

I don't think £1000 has been spent on maintaining my Berlingo since it was new.

The mate who owned it from new didn't take it to Citroen ever and it never gave any problems.

27000 miles in nearly 9 years means it hasn't really needed much other than a set of pads/shoes, tyres and an oil change now and again.

I think it often went a year or two on the same oil.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
dave

Post by dave »

I've a 57 Berlingo with 149k on it which I thought was high mileage

until I saw this on autotrader-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

looking at old mot's mileage is not a typo !
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Anybody who buys a Citroen expecting them to be reliable and normal is deluded (they may be quirky, but reliability is not something they are known for). If anybody buys another Citroen after the experience of the first they need help.

Erm, all four of the cars I have owned (I do not include Company vehicles) have been hydro-pneumatic Citroens (this includes my current C5). My doctor wants to send me for psychological evaluations, but I keep forgetting when the appointments are, and I am never in when he sends round the men in white coats with their strange patient jackets.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

My doctor just told me I'm totally insane as I've had so many Citroens.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm on my 5th hydraulic Citroen.
I think this one has lasted almost as long as the previous four combined.
Hydraulics and electrics have never been a problem - the odd glitch but less than the other cars, bar the Accord.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Anybody who buys a Citroen expecting them to be reliable and normal is deluded (they may be quirky, but reliability is not something they are known for). If anybody buys another Citroen after the experience of the first they need help.

Erm, all four of the cars I have owned (I do not include Company vehicles) have been hydro-pneumatic Citroens (this includes my current C5). My doctor wants to send me for psychological evaluations, but I keep forgetting when the appointments are, and I am never in when he sends round the men in white coats with their strange patient jackets.
VAG cam chains.............boom !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Merc autoboxes failing and A classes falling over, Mazda Wankel engines (all Wankel engines ever), Nissan gtr bell housing rattle, Mondeo rear subframe bushes, Toyota floor Mats and throttle pedals?, Audi A4 with 2.0tdi engine..........,......

We could do this forever
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

............Mitsubishi L200's filling the sump with fuel and the dealer telling you it's normal operation :evil:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

My first saxo was unreliable but probably due to negligence. You could sat the vtr was but it did mental miles every day so weaknesses were bound to come up. Its major bugbear (dicky fan and PAS) turned out to be a loose battery cable, because the tray was buggered and all the cornering (ahem...) Pulled the cable taught and broke it!

The fiesta i had just shat itself one day and never recovered!

Funnily enough the most reliable car was the 206. It got an absolute battering, rattled like a tin can full of marbles and sounded like a tank but just kept going. The MC failed and turned it into a deathtrap, and it was never going to pass another MOT (rotten and buggered rear beam) but the engine and box were bombproof. It even ate an aux belt, slipped the timing and still ran when retimed!

The Xantia could be potentially called unreliable. Off the road 5 times maybe in 2 years, for a pas return line leaking, a leaky diesel return, the matrix dying, a new front hub/bearing and then the first MOT which needed parts sourcing. But take that into account (and the fact it barely moved prior to me owning it) it's not missed a beat, and has just flown through an MOT
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Statistically, the most unreliable cars I've ever had are Xantia V6s... The only cars in recent times that have left me stranded and needed flat-bedding home... Once for an ignition coil failure and the other for a show-stopping hydraulic leak...

The previous to suffer such a fate was a Volvo 340...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...