Speed Cameras part 17

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Speed Cameras part 17

Post by Jon »

30/06/2004 13:11:17
One of the first safety-camera-carrying motorbikes in the country was launched by Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership on Tuesday 29th June at Salisbury District Hospital at 10.30 a.m and at The Great Western Hospital in Swindon at 3.00p.m.
Bought by the Wiltshire and Swindon Road Safety Partnership from money collected in speeding fines, the 650cc Honda Deauville carries the same speed enforcement equipment as the vans do.
‘But it reaches the places the others don’t,’ said safety camera unit manager David Frampton.
‘Unlike the camera vans, we can position a motorcycle in narrow lanes and on verges in villages and the countryside where a mobile van would obstruct a driver’s view.’
The shaft-driven bike will only be used for speed enforcement when it is static on its stand with the camera mounted on a post and bracket at the rear. The bike has two large panniers and a top-box to hold the equipment.
‘It’s also been modified to be identifiable as a safety camera vehicle,’ said Mr Frampton.
‘So it’ll have a high profile in rural areas where, we believe, it will encourage drivers to slow down and make roads safer – particularly for the vulnerable.
‘In Wiltshire, the number of people killed or seriously injured at safety camera sites has fallen by 64 per cent – higher even than the national rate of 40 per cent.
‘We aim to build on this success and the new bike is an important tool in targeting areas we couldn’t reach before.’
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

This brings a wonderful image into my mind - bike lying in the dirt with pieces of camera scattered about the landscape, rider/operator getting to his knees about 40 feet away, driver of white van leaning out his window and yelling "Sorry mate, I didn't see you!"
Stu.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Heard about this on the local radio yesterday.Same station then broadcast that it was on a main A road in Swindon.Swindon???mmm,dosen`t sound very 'RURAL' to me!!!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

So, since the number of deaths at camera sites has fallen, so has the justification for a camera ( x deaths in x years isn't it ? ) at various sites.
So, presumably now that these sites are safe, the cameras will be removed ?
Perhaps this is what the bike is for, and the partnership are being honest and open ?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Trouble is, most (or maybe all) individual sites don't have enough accidents to make stats worthwhile. e.g. 3 accidents last year, only 2 this year with the camera! Maybe 4 next year though?! No real proof of cameras working.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

If you don't like speed cameras (who does?)try this game [:D] :-
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/game/camerakiller.htm
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Excellent game, though not as effective as the necklace method.
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Excellent game, though not as effective as the necklace method.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or indeed the angle grinder and can of 4* (employed locally to remove camera housing then toast it).
Personally I feel the cordless drill, HSS bit and can of expanding foam (£4 for the cheap stuff from B&Q) is a winner.... Works every time and apparently wrecks the camera and box - but wont trigger any alarms fitted to them. Sometimes they survive the necklace.
www.tuftufclub.com for really inventive methods of camera control...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, I have also been aware of the Tuf Tuf Club.
Although I couldn't sort out getting on to their site prior to my post earlier.
They are not known as the Tuf Tuf Club anymore because of legal action against them! I am looking further into it, and I will endeavour to let you know more.
They can still be contacted on this site www.flitsservice.nl
The site used to have an English translation when known as the Tuf Tuf Club, and was very interesting to look at, and see the pictures of what people had done to the speed cameras.
Although now after the legal action, the site still exists it is only in Dutch now!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As promised here is the Tuf Tuf Club update.
The authorities in Holland have taken them to court, and are trying to shut them down! They have changed the site address to www.flitsservice.nl as shown in my previous post. The site is quite different from before, and because of the Big Brother tactics on their freedom of expression, has tamed down. It is still very much worth looking at, and exploring the pictures on their site. I realise as it's only in Dutch with no translation, so it might be difficult, but at least the site still exists!

Also their site used the name of a childs cartoon character, so it was taken to court not only by the authorities, but also by the company concerned. The outcome being the change of site name etc, etc.
So as I said at least the site still exists, because the same cannot be said for their friends in Belgium. As the Tuf Tuf Club in Belgium was shut down due to legal action from the authorities, and is no more now!
Exploring the pictures it's apparent that they really do hide their operator controled equipment very much out of the way, hiding in bushes in unmarked cars a long distance from the road, also hiding the seperate camera so you would have no idea it was there!
On the other hand check out the unmarked cars, with what look like oddly mounted fog lights on the front, and the camera equipment on the dash either shooting through the windsreen, or through a hidden camera lens sneakily hidden in the front bumper.
The best bits are where you see what people have done to the fixed (not anymore[:D][:D]) cameras.
Note, they have too many of them there, like us !!!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Shame - I used to enjoy their camera control antics.....
Its an interesting fact that the average motorist checks their speedo 3 times when passing a fixed camera - taking their eyes off the road for anything upto 42 feet at 30mph.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Excellent game, though not as effective as the necklace method.
Stewart<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
O.K. I am curious about this. [:)]
What is the necklace method ?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Excellent game, though not as effective as the necklace method.
Stewart<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
O.K. I am curious about this. [:)]
What is the necklace method ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">#
Old tyre, placed round top of camera mounting like a neclace so it hangs over the yellow box under camera - then inner bit of tyre filled with petrol and match applied.
Camera usually does not survive this compleetly illigal and thoroughly irresponsible act of wanton vandalism.
This sCamera housing lasted only 2 weeks and has only just been replaced nearly 2 years on...
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I can't see why everyone bleats about camera - 19 years of conviction free driving under my belt and i've owned cars as mental as Integrales and BMW 750s, down to my current (and very sensible, Mum) 406 HDi.
Actually, I think i've made a breakthrough. See, i've noticed that the harder I push the pedal on the right, the faster the car will go. Equally astonishing, i've noticed that if I keep the number on the speedo equal to or lower than the numbers on the big reflective signs at the roadside I don't get into trouble.
Amazing!
Ragandbone
My Cars:

Post by Ragandbone »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by turbolag</i>

i've noticed that if I keep the number on the speedo equal to or lower than the numbers on the big reflective signs at the roadside I don't get into trouble.
Amazing!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
HMM, not always the case - Blackpool and some areas of Manchester have the gatsos trigger at 31MPH ( I knows this cos the boyfriend works for the Road Saftey Partnership[:(] - My old Honda used to under read by about 4mph, so keeping car at 30 would still trigger the camera.
I think we needs more propper coppers not yellow boxes on poles.