Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: "The Pickled Egg"-your virtual local

Post by CitroJim »

One thing I don't eat as a rule. Plays havoc with my sensitive teeth. Not long back I tried some coconut ice cream and found that nearly OK and quite enjoyed it... Think it was in Wagamama...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you are ever on the Isle of Wight, Minghella Ice Cream (owned and run by the Minghella family) came up with a fiery ginger variety. I did try it, and it worked. The contrast was VERY strange; cold teeth and heated taste buds! I don't know if they still do it, but they are willing to try new ideas.

http://www.minghella.co.uk/
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:If you are ever on the Isle of Wight, Minghella Ice Cream (owned and run by the Minghella family) came up with a fiery ginger variety. I did try it, and it worked. The contrast was VERY strange; cold teeth and heated taste buds!
I'd love to try that James :D I'd also like to try a chilli ice cream if such a thing exists.. I adore chilli and incorporate it, in varying strengths, into all my cooking... I'm particularly fond of a bit of chilli chocolate...

Just cooked a vegetarian squash curry with bird's eye chillies.. It's a demon :twisted: :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: I'd love to try that James :D I'd also like to try a chilli ice cream if such a thing exists.. I adore chilli and incorporate it, in varying strengths, into all my cooking... I'm particularly fond of a bit of chilli chocolate...
Lakeland has a recipe for it!

Simple ingredients for a small bowlful.
3 red chillies, sliced
600ml double cream
¼ tsp chilli powder
4 large egg yolks
100g caster sugar
150g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50g dark chocolate, chopped

Comes unstuck at the end though when you have to put it in their digital ice cream maker! although I'm sure there are manual methods which could be used.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Neil :D If I can work around the need of a digital ice-cream maker I'll be giving that a go...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Jim, I'm sure you have the engineering skills to set up a contraption like this

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Ice creams a bit difficult with no churner Jim. Sorbets not so hard to manage but it goes a bit icy if you improvise and is better churned. Basic ones are about £20 which do the job if you really want a go, I've never upgraded my cheap one. Theres nothing quite like homemade ice cream, I love it..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm seriously getting tempted now :D I really fancy some home-made ice cream...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You'll not regret it, go for it.
Heres one
You'll never eat packet ice cream again after one of these and you'll appreciate places like the Beddgelert ice cream shop that make it better than I ever could at home.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Thanks James :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

elma wrote: You'll never eat packet ice cream again after one of these and you'll appreciate places like the Beddgelert ice cream shop that make it better than I ever could at home.
Had a bit of an ice-cream fest on our little holiday as you do, including Beddgelert, and Parisella's at Conwy, and Forte's in LLandudno. My personal favourite being Parisella's Madagascan Vanilla. In spite of the variety of flavours on offer I quite boringly chose a vanilla on each occasion :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Pickled Egg prides itself in minimising waste, so has recently invested in a little herd of natural recyclers. Seems like they have sophisticated palates.....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see a new Pickled Egg Neil :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Preparations are well underway for the Summer Solstice at the Pickled Egg. A specific table at the window in the snug has been set up, and some of the punters have been precisely setting up the geometry of the various components ready for the big day.....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Love it!
Jim