I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 1949 is very early Land-Rover indeed!
Regards Neil

Even AutoTrader agrees it's a 1949 vehicle - so it must be old :)

I was idly looking on eBay at PTO drives and other bits and bobs for my old Land Rover last night. I'm actually planning on getting it back on the road this year - it hasn't been roadworthy and MOT'd for nearly 20 years :shock: Just need to fit the engine, a quick overhaul of the gearbox and overdrive, weld the replacement rear crossmember on, a new front dumb iron, bit of tidying and it'll be ready for the great outdoors again... and free tax disc as well :-D :-D :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

First registered 1st June 1949

You picture shows the lights behind the "grill" like this information from the "Rover" page from the classiccarcatalogue-Rover 1948 . They very much marketed the vehicle as a working vehicle doing various tractor-esq tasks round the farm!

If you click forward through 1949, and 1950 Tickford got involved in a "Station Wagon" option, and there's also a story about the military originally wanting to spec Rolls-Royce engines for their "Land Rovers" but were persuaded to go for the Rover engine.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Locomotive A No5 was in steam
Gosh, that must have seriously stretched someone's imagination to name that locomotive :roll: :lol:

And he continue in the same vein with the diesels.. :twisted:

Would have loved to have met him. Bet he really was the life and soul of the party!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: Locomotive A No5 was in steam
Gosh, that must have seriously stretched someone's imagination to name that locomotive :roll: :lol:
The naming convention for Locomoives at Consett Iron Company even went past this, can't find the reference again but I did read at one time they had 2 number 2's at one time :-D (literally!)

It does spill over into cars though big time.....your other thread on Renault being a case in point.....as well as Citroen, BMW, Peugeot,, Porshe, SAAB, Ferrari....etc..etc.

Even the superb Birmingham Small Arms Company's naming department from the world of motorcycling slipped up with letter/number id's for their models, but at least the attendant nicknames such as golden Flash, barracuda, gold star, thunderbolt, lightning and rocket were more passion stirring!.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Oct 1953 Egypt, yep that's me.
An awful lot changed in the world since that photo of you was taken, but the Land Rovers stayed basically the same :)
Imagine trying to explain to the young you the concept of Facebook, Twitter and internet fora in general - especially having to explain on the internet the intricacies of plugging a computer into a car to get the handbrake to release or the daytime driving lights to come on..... progress !! :o :shock: :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: progress !! :o :shock: :lol:
That's a very moot point :twisted:

Speaking of Egypt, a lot of the married quarters in Episkopi Garrison, Cyprus were originally going to be built in Egypt until the little spot of bother there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote: progress !! :o :shock: :lol:
That's a very moot point :twisted:

Speaking of Egypt, a lot of the married quarters in Episkopi Garrison, Cyprus were originally going to be built in Egypt until the little spot of bother there...
Regular soldiers with us in Egypt used to take their breaks in Cyprus, at Famagusta which I believe is now off limits.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: Regular soldiers with us in Egypt used to take their breaks in Cyprus, at Famagusta which I believe is now off limits.
Yes, sadly a victim of the 1974 invasion and the drawing of the 'green line' that divides the island... It's a ghost town and out of bounds to everyone bar UN Troops... The same as Nicosia airport... I used to visit it quite regularly when I was serving there and the tale of the BOAC Trident still sitting on the apron is true, or at least it was still there in the early 80s...

We used to race karts on one part of the apron...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

With Cyprus cropping up in the thread, I had a bit of a peruse to see if it was a good place for classic cars.

Firstly came across The Cyprus Classic Car Touring Club, quite a few nice examples

Then a facebook gallery for the club which just has hundreds of examples from concours d'elegance to loads lying around in scrap yards, and leaves me with the impression that for Classic Car spotting....Cyprus appears to be in the Premier League!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Cyprus was a Mecca for classic cars in my time there Neil and indeed, a lot of treasures have been rescued from there since..

The climate, if not the roads, is kind... Also, Cyprus drives on the left so there was much British tin there and all UK-spec...

That P6 is gorgeous :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Just a few from the gallery
french
italian
german
and a great British two-tone which I can't find just yet!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: and a great British two-tone which I can't find just yet!l
Found it. It looks very much like a MG Magnette Mark IV.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Those pictures are making me want to go back to Cyprus :twisted:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Does anybody remember the Dennis Weaver film "Duel"? Well, if you do, watch out on the M25. I was heading anti clockwise to the M3 yesterday (28/04) when I saw (fortunately going clockwise) what looked like the tanker from that film. I wonder how the drivers around it felt? I do hope they are not planning a sequel!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!