I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Jag's got to be one of these hasn't it, an XK150 Fixed Head Coupe.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

.....another interesting snippet related to the Singer Chamois. A letter from W. Elsey, Director of Advertising & Sales Promotion, Rootes Group to all "Singer Main, Area and Retail Dealers, and Stocking Traders". Entitled "Publicise your "Spring Specials" as the spearhead of your Singer Chamois Campaign" I enjoy the snapshot of time and language provided by original documents like this. Its only one page long and goes as follows:-
Dear Sir,

Publicise your "Spring Specials" as the spearhead of your Singer Chamois Campaign

Further to the Sales Division's letter on the availability of the Chamois Saloon in Gold and Silver metallic colours as "Spring Specials", the attached portfolio sets out the guide-lines for your Spring Campaign on the 1967 Singer Chamois models.

This is a golden opportunity to build Chamois sales to a new high level - with the incentive of the Special Spring Offer, and the wide use of Chamois publicity: local advertising, Showroon display, direct mail, and screen advertising.

The following points are given in amplification of the Basic Plan outlined in the portfolio:

"Spring Spedial" cars:
Each one has a rear window sticker - "This is a Spring Special!" - to be affixed to the Showroom models, demonstrators, and by agreement, to customer's cars. These stickers will attract attention! (Really?)
Showroom display:
Use the campaign window streamer, "Ask for details of the Spring Special Chamois". This enables Dealers to dto their Gold and Silver models, or to prepare their own "special" cars - as a campaign leader. A 40 x 30 in. Showroom poster is also being provided.
Press advertising:
Lay-outs are enclosed of steroes for local use. Order from Clark & Perry.
Direct Mail:
A specimen direct mail letter is enclosed, incoporating the Special Spring Offer. Order quantities from The Wellington Press.
Screen advertising:
You are reminded that 15-second cinema filmlets are avaliable on the Chamois Saloon (though this is not linked with the Spring Specials) and the Singer Vogue. Take advantage of screen advertising, which is moderate in cost. Order filmlets from advertising Films Division, Rank Organisation.
Editioral publicity:
A Press release is enclosed to help you gain editorial coverage in your local papers. Get maximum publicity for the Special Spring Offer!

This then is the detailed plan. Now it is up to you to put your local arrangements into top gear, and to start your Chamois promotion on Monday, 20th March, immediately prior to the Easter holiday, and to carry it through with enthusiasm and vigour into the peak selling months of April and May.

Go NOW for yout Spring Special campaign, and get those Extra Chamois sales.

Yours faithfully,

W. Elsey
Director,
Advertising & Sales Promotion,
Rootes Group

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:The Jag's got to be one of these hasn't it, an XK150 Fixed Head Coupe.

Regards Neil
Pete Ham of the Group Badfinger had one of those, I did some work on it for him, it was a bit of a dog really but he liked it. The petrol tank leaked badly and new ones were not available so his roadies encased it in Holts Catalloy fibre glass.

Pete and his mate Tom Evans unfortunately are not with us.

https://lonesomebeehive.wordpress.com/2 ... t-anymore/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Your mention of badfinger is a bit of a coincidence for me this week. On wednesday i was chatting with a customer and asked as i usuaĺly do what he was listening to at the moment. Answer badfinger..., which i immediately confused with bad company.

Never thought about either since the 1970's but 2 unrelated mentions this weeķ

Regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Terrible shame about Badfinger, could have been a major band given a little opportunity.

May not work - computer is upgrading to 16.04 at the minute and some things are disabled while it does it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote:Terrible shame about Badfinger, could have been a major band given a little opportunity.

May not work - computer is upgrading to 16.04 at the minute and some things are disabled while it does it.
That must be the re-formed band, I don't recognise any of them.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That was as said done blind as the upgrade had shut down a lot of functions including flash.
Wasn't a good example unfortunately.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is the one that's still providing royalties:

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yeah - worked well for him!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Whilst nipping down to Chichester this morning I passed a rather nice 1949 Series 1 Land Rover, open topped and in period 'Racing Services' livery being driven by a gent wrapped up against the cold :) A bit later there was a primrose yellow FHC E-Type Jaaag, and then on the way back in amongst a bunch of boring BMWubbleYous out on an outing there was a lovely condition 1974 BMW2002. Out of them I think I'll take the Land Rover, thanks :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:Whilst nipping down to Chichester this morning I passed a rather nice 1949 Series 1 Land Rover, open topped and in period 'Racing Services' livery being driven by a gent wrapped up against the cold :) ...... Out of them I think I'll take the Land Rover, thanks :-D
1949 is very early Land-Rover indeed!

This was the prototype from 1947, based on a "willy's jeep", with the steering wheel in a central position like an agricultural tractor.

It developed into this, probably very similar to the one you spotted.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I just love those old adverts... Oh to have their like now...

The artistry in the drawings is just wonderful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:This is the one that's still providing royalties:

.....yet another link today......a question on "Popmaster" on Radio 2......KB played Mariah Carey's version her first UK No 1 in 1994, and asked who had a number 1 in the UK in 1972 with the same song.

Badfinger didn't get name checked though, and I bet many people think that Nilsson's version is the "original".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A nice pair of Wolseley 16/60's spotted on Sunday at outside the little Stephenson Railway Museum North Tyneside.

I always find something to interest me at these little places. Now there are undoubtedly more stylish and beautiful and interesting locomotives, than those that used to be the workhorses of the Consett Iron Company but the steam Engine No5, and strangely the Diesel No 10 were fascinating to me.

Locomotive A No5 was in steam and taking passengers on a 4 Mile return trip in the old corridor and non corrridor coaches.

Alongside Number 10 was an accompanying photograph of a large group of men, virtually all with cloth caps on, who had been responsible for building the locomotive at the Consett Iron Company Workshops in 1958. Yes no evidence of the hand of exotic-sounding Italian design houses there :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 1949 is very early Land-Rover indeed!

This was the prototype from 1947, based on a "willy's jeep", with the steering wheel in a central position like an agricultural tractor.

Regards Neil
I'm only going on what the Gov MOT search says ! It did look nicely original.

Whilst I'm here :-D - another couple of spots today, but nothing too interesting. An MGBGT and a Moggy Minor going in different directions but seen within seconds of each other.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(