Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I always thought a Rover 2000 would make a nice convertible

In 2005 this example was bought by Heinz Luder of Burgdorf Switzerland......some of the history of this Graber conversion with more pics, translated from the original German is here.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..In 1967 Zagato thought the Rover 2000 would make a nice Coupe

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

In 1967 Zagato was mistaken
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

What collection of pictures of convertibles would be complete without an...

Alfresco Allegro :)

http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/ado67conv_02.jpg

http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/ado67conv_01.jpg

Not many of us will have had the first hand pleasure of driving an Austin Allegro convertible .

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:What collection of pictures of convertibles would be complete without an...

Alfresco Allegro :)

Regards Neil
In answer to your question - this collection of pictures of convertibles would be perfectly complete without any Allegros in it :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well they should be congratulated for making an Alegro look even worse....that is quite an achievement :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I like that Rover P6 (2000) Convertible :D One of my most favourite cars made even better!

Saying that though, my choice of convertible P6 would be a 3.5 V8 ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

d
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ohh, that's lovely Neil :D Brought a bit of sunshine into an otherwise rainy day!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I have had the privilege of driving the Zagato TCZ, a couple of decades ago. The creation of the car happened almost by accident, apparently. My recollection of the story is as follows:

During road-testing of the P6 prototypes in the early '60s, several lightly disguised cars were driven around Europe, including mountainous Switzerland and Italy. One of the road test engineers was a certain Ted Gawronski, who had worked extensively on the new P6 engine and mechanics. The car was badged 'Talago' (after Ted) on the bootlid to gently throw onlookers off the scent.

It seems, while taking a break at a northern Italy roadside cafe, the two drivers were approached by an Italian gent, who complimented them on the vehicle outside. "Must be the new Rover..." he then added, and it was apparently not denied. "So who might you be?" the Rover guys asked. It turned out to be Zagato himself. "Hmm...very nice...but what I wouldn't give to be able to take one of those and put my own styling body on to it!"

To cut a long story short, in 1967 (four years after the P6 launch) Rover sent Zagato one of the new 2000TC's, in white, and with compliments. Apparently, six weeks later, the car was sent back by Zagato - but this time with its revised lowered coupe sports body, mainly in fibreglass, but complete with restyled upholstery and hand-stitched brown leather dash.

Apart from the extensive body reworking, underneath the car was very much standard 2000TC, except for some exhaust bodgery, and some hasty wiring alterations. It drove well enough, but Rover never proceded with it, and it was put to one side, much like the later mid-engined V8 P6BS.

After a spell in the Rover museum collection at Syon Park, the TCZ was sold off, and bought privately by a collector in SW London. He drove it about for some years, but not being a mechanic, the rather delicate creation became neglected. The P6 Rover Owners Club became aware of the car's fate, and one of its members in Maidstone offered to rebuild it mechanically and electrically. I was there during some of this work, which took a couple of years. When finished, the owner was - amazingly - more than happy to leave it on long-loan to Alan who rebuilt it, so it could get some regular use.

During this time we put it on the Club's stand at the NEC Classic Car Show, along with two other Rovers. All three were 1967, white, and 2000TC: one totally original, one totally restored, and one totally unique (the TCZ).

At the end of the show, I had the huge pleasure of driving the TCZ off the stand, and for about 50 miles to an overnight stop. I drove it gently, out of caution and respect, but do remember toeing it a little as I pulled down a sliproad on to the M6. Steve, driving his 3500S behind, later said, "WTF, what gear were you in? I couldn't keep up with you!". IIRC, I was in 3rd, and at about three-quarters throttle. Magic!

A day I'll never forget.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Interesting he worked in Fibreglass
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

It was a one-off, a styling exercise. At the back end, iirc, there was even some substantial plywood in the construction!

Google Rover TCZ for lots more pix.
Also worth a look:
Rover P6BS I briefly got to drive this too.
Rover P9, P10 Another sports opportunity missed.
Rover SD1 estate Built just four. Crazy for Rover not to have gone ahead with this, except it would have rusted too, unlike the Volvo.

And, the now famous Rover - The Long Goodbye - well worth watching, but so so sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-9dVb7keM

Rover publicity also hired British Pathe Films to make Assignment P6 in 1961
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4b_R8wTqA
but Pathe seem to have lost the first half of it.
I have the whole thing (29 mins) on DVD, from a Rover Heritage vhs recording.

Less well known is Pathe's 8-minute short Engineered for Protection 1971
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/engin ... crash+test
Contains footage of rally driving through snow, and crash tests.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: A day I'll never forget.
Wow! fantastic! And nor would I either! That is brilliant and loved reading it!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

white exec wrote:I have had the privilege of driving the Zagato TCZ, .......... Magic!
....A day I'll never forget.
CitroJim wrote: Wow! fantastic! And nor would I either! That is brilliant and loved reading it!
Couldn't agree more, thanks for the post. Its what I like best about the FCF, the random links which tease out interesting stories :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Its what I like best about the FCF, the random links which tease out interesting stories :)
Same here :D It is what makes the forum :wink:
Jim