C2 power steering intermittent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

C2 power steering intermittent

Post by Stewart(oily) »

As stated the power steering comes and goes intermittently, stopping the engine and restarting cures it until next time ? anyone seen this ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C2 power steering intermittent

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you are getting heavy steering one or both ways, intermittent loss of assistance, steering pulling to one side then any or all of these are symptoms of the steering rack on the way out which is likely to lead to complete failure if not sorted

This could be several things - first, it is critical for the battery to be in tip top condition. If there isn't enough power it can cause all sorts of electrical issues including the Power Steering ECU which can think the car is turned off!

Another possibility is the motor in the rack shorting out which in turn is turning off the ECU on the unit. This necessitates replacement of the whole unit. If you disconnect the power and reconnect it from the unit it will temporarily cure it until it shorts again (this would fit with what you have said about turning the car off and starting it again). Check the battery - but also check the leads from the rack to the battery - if these are not making good contact it could also be the cause of the problem.

I believe this is a known C2 issue and these are a combined power steering and steering rack unit in one. They can be anything up to £1600 from a dealer, but they can be refurbished (with a replacement off shelf unit or you own refurbished).
Here's a link to ACS Power Steering:
http://www.acspowersteering.co.uk/citro ... 2003-2010/

Could be worth getting a lexia on it - but if you get the ECU failure - it could be because of the shorting of the motor as I said earlier.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: C2 power steering intermittent

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Thank you Marc, that sounds like the problem.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.