I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Classic car Autumn/Winter Collection (Spring/Summer S.H.!)

Post by CitroJim »

Nice :D Not see a Moke in years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

It would be fun to drive Moke in warmer places like along the Promenade des Anglais 8-) but it was -7 °C that day :mrgreen:

CitroJim, have you seen Thames lately?

Behind Ford Thames is also seen a Peugeot 403 and a Fiat 500.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: CitroJim, have you seen Thames lately?
Not seen one for years now but a gorgeous looking van, as all Ford vans of tat era were...

It's good to see one here :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

One for Zel...

Spotted a brick red Saab 96 in Newport Pagnell this afternoon... Looked in immaculate nick too...

It was a V4 I guess, it had a lovely burble about it :D
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

VertVega wrote:Mini Moke

"The Mini Moke is a vehicle based on the Mini designed for the British Motor Corporation (BMC) by Sir Alec Issigonis[7] and John Sheppard.[8]

The name comes from "Mini"—the car with which the Moke shares many parts—and "Moke", which is an archaic dialect term for donkey.[9][10][11] The Moke has been marketed under various names including Austin Mini Moke, Morris Mini Moke and Leyland Moke."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

There was also a "Double yoked Moke." or "Twini Moke" which was built with engines front and rear.
http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/twini.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

IIRC, BMC were trying to get the MOD interested in purchasing the twin motor prototype; the overtures fell on stony ground!

Used to be a "standard" Moke running around Plymouth area in the early '70's; owned by an Estate Agent. It had a fixed green canvas top with a cream fringe all round and looked fabulous - "the surry with the fringe on top" as it used to be known by us.The owner was a character and real Gent of the old school, complete with clipped white moustache! Used to give my boys a ride in it, "siren" whistle, bulb horn, it really got them excited. Sadly, only took the children out in it :( , down the hill and back up. Happy days :) .
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
Zelandeth wrote:Here was today's spot up at the big second hand furniture warehouse at Kiln Farm.

Lovely indeed.. :-D Always wanted one of those when I had an ordinary Mini... Would still like one now...

That as a Woseley Hornet wasn't it? The Riley Elf was very similar but one was a little posher than the other... Can't recall which now...
Unfortunately they didn't fare well when run into stone walls, this is my son's mates Hornet after a little black ice on a bend, my son in the passenger seat was unconscious for six hours and had all but bitten his tongue off, his mate, driving, broke just about everything but survived.

[URL=http://s57.photobucket.com/user/fo ... .jpg[/img] [/url]
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

My word they were lucky. They didn't have the safety measures back then.
I was nervous when ear 'oling my Imp when I learned that in the event of a bad collision the cars had a tendency to break in half and because the belt mounting points were behind the front seats on the floor, the driver too could come in half. Didn't bear thinking about, but as I recall didn't slow me down. Suspension and tyre pressures altered of course.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Blast from the 1980s just now. On the bus through Bicester and we were just overtaken by a C plate Nissan Cherry 1.3SGL. Family used to have one of them back in the early 1990s. Remember that as a youngster I found the fact that the legends on everything and the dash lettering were all orange. Good stereo as I recall too.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Cor! That's a good spot Zel, don't see many of those around these days...

Yes, I remember well their fondness (OK by me!) for orange..

Who made the stereos? Was it a Datsun made one or one they bought in from a well-known maker as Citroen used to do with Blaupunkt and Clarion?
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Speakers in the back were Clarion and looked factory fit. Radio and tape deck were integrated into the dash but were physically separate units. Not sure who they were made by, worked well though. Auto reverse tape deck too which was far from a given back then. Really pretty decent audio though, came with a King Crimson tape in the glovebox too so that was where I first heard of them. Usual Pink Floyd test tape appeared as soon as I'd finished that though.

Really wouldn't mind one to be honest, for all it's basically a Sunny hatchback with a slight restyle, always looked far more interesting. Comfy too from what I remember, and the interior in ours was very, very blue (except for the orange bits). They actually look quite striking now being so different to today's traffic.

Having traded up from an absolute dog of a D plate Fiesta Mk II, it really felt like a Rolls-Royce to us at the time!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, in so may ways they were streets ahead of the British stuff available at the time...

And even a lot of the European stuff...

Shame they were not too well rust proofed...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:Indeed, in so may ways they were streets ahead of the British stuff available at the time...

And even a lot of the European stuff...

Shame they were not too well rust proofed...
A fair bit of their stuff at the time was copied from the Brits and improved upon and of course they didn't have the 'British disease' of trade union power.

Brit stuff was being built on pre war machinery because all the income went out in wages and none to re-equipping the factories.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Bumper haul yesterday.

D plate Nova 1.2 Merit in white. Immaculate and *gasp* looked absolutely stock.
H plate Maestro van in BT yellow (might just about be ex BT at that year, was 92 they changed to grey wasn't it?).
A plate Austin Metro City X in very faded red, being driven by an older gent. Original owner I wonder?
B plate white VW Scirocco, tidy but original, parked next to that in the car park at the end of N 12th Street.
Unknown age Saab Classic 900 convertible on H6, had a private plate but I can tell it's a post 86 car.
Finally an X plate (as in X suffix) Daimler Double Six, that was parked up in the lower carpark in Sainsbury's. Owner arrived back at the car at the same time as I did and we must have spent half an hour chatting. He was as interested in the Saab as I was in the Daimler!

In contrast, today have seen absolutely nothing of interest!
Current fleet:
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Zelandeth wrote:Bumper haul yesterday.
Here's a pictoral reminder of one of your bumper haul Zel
D plate Nova 1.2 Merit in white. Immaculate and *gasp* looked absolutely stock.
Couldn't find a white D-reg but here's a yellow!
From Petrolblog-Minor Details no2-Vauxhall Nova flared arches
In the UK, the Nova suffers from a damaged reputation following its tendency to be the car of choice for the ‘chavved-up’ brigade in the 1990s. But today its stock is rising. Find an original and unmodified example and you’ll have yourself a nicely proportion, economical little runabout. You’ll also have a set of the best rear arches this side of the Golf Rallye.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey