Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by myglaren »

Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a Riley Elf.
A long story but I dropped the C5 off to have a few bits fiddled with and walking home was passed by an ancient green Riley Elf.
First one I can remember seeing in about forty years.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myglaren wrote:Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a Riley Elf.
Spot the difference Hornet v Elf

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen? Whatsthestory?

......so whatsthisthen? whosthisthen? and whatsthestory?

give it a go!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: Whatsthisthen? whosthisthen? and whatsthestory?

Post by BenC5HDi »

Oh that's easy, that's Camille Jenatzy driving "la Jamais content".. the first specially built car to attempt a land speed record, the first car to officially break a previously set LSR, and the first car to top 60mph.

All on electric too..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

BenC5HDi wrote:Oh that's easy, that's Camille Jenatzy driving "la Jamais content".. the first specially built car to attempt a land speed record, the first car to officially break a previously set LSR, and the first car to top 60mph.
What an anorak!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
BenC5HDi wrote:Oh that's easy, that's Camille Jenatzy driving "la Jamais content".. the first specially built car to attempt a land speed record, the first car to officially break a previously set LSR, and the first car to top 60mph.
What an anorak!
"la Jamais content".. was a snipe at his wife, it means "Never content."

How's that for anorak. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I bet she was even less content when he spent all his spare time building that...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: How's that for anorak. :-D
Solid gold anorak that!

:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
What an anorak!
"la Jamais content".. was a snipe at his wife, it means "Never content."

How's that for anorak. :-D
Yes Ben, absolutely spot-on =D>

Bit more about him....little piece from the New York Times reporting his unfortunate shooting!

I like the "jumped out of his car and struck an inoffensive onlooker whose demeanour displeased him" anecdote.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That';s priceless Neil :rofl2:

So now we can understand the full meaning the cry of 'Gordon Bennet!!!!' :wink:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That';s priceless Neil :rofl2:

So now we can understand the full meaning the cry of 'Gordon Bennet!!!!' :wink:
Welcome back to whatsthisthen? Jim, I for one have missed your usual quantity (and quality of course) of posts, over the last couple of weeks.

Not bad for an electric vehicle in 1899!
The land speed record was established on April 29 or May 1, 1899 at Achères, Yvelines near Paris, France. The vehicle had two direct drive Postel-Vinay 25 kW motors, running at 200 V drawing 124 Amperes each [1][4] for about 68 hp, and was equipped with Michelin tires. Chassis number was n°25.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, it's good to be back :D

No telling when I might have to lay low again to recharge the old batteries but for now here I am....
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

The Gordon Bennett Cup in 1903 won by Camille Jenatzy, took place over the roads of Ireland, and gave rise to the birth of British Racing Green. Wiki does a pretty good job of telling the story of the Cup.

James Gordon Bennett himself never witnessed any of the six Gordon Bennett races now considered to be the ancestors to modern Grand Prix racing. In fact he objected to have his name associated with the races at all and preferred to call them "Coupe Internationale".

Gordon Bennett, owner of the New York Herald, had been known to be a supporter of controversial events. It was in fact Gordon Bennett who had sent out Stanley to look for Livingstone in darkest Africa back in 1869 and he had also been involved in sponsoring an Arctic expedition. In 1899 he turned to motor racing, donating a silver trophy to encourage manufacturers particularly in United States to develop the cars through competition. Setting up the rules for the future events there were two controversial things that eventually would prove fatal for the survival of the Gordon Bennett races. First, entries were limited to three cars per nation, the entries representing the national automobile club rather than a manufacturer, and second, all parts of the cars including tyres had to be manufactured in the country the cars represented.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's interesting on Gordon Bennett Neil, thanks for that :D

Doesn't explain why we exclaim his name in moments of shock and surprise though... Any thoughts on that aspect?
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: Doesn't explain why we exclaim his name in moments of shock and surprise though... Any thoughts on that aspect?
No definitive answer I have found, but in general most likely just to be a substitute for swearing (possibly god dammit), along the lines of Cor Blimey known as "Minced Oaths". Like "feck" in Father Ted!

The Gordon Bennett's (Snr and Jnr) proprietors of the New York Herald may lay some claim to its use, in particular junior who was well known in the USA and Europe, for a controversial and "playboy" lifestyle of some notoriety.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey