C5 Estate HDI 2.0 2003 FUNNY NOISE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kayjas
My Cars: Citroen C5 estate

Re: C5 Estate HDI 2.0 2003 FUNNY NOISE

Post by kayjas »

Today on my commute it didn't make the noise once, is it temperature related I wonder ?

How easy is changing the swing arm bearings and does anyone have a photo or diagram showing which ones need changing please ?
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Don't think I took any photos when I did mine but I'll take a look through.
How hard? Hard question. You're at least interested in car maintenance I'm guessing - If you can service your car yourself, have a driveway/ off road area and jacks etc you're more than three quarters of the way there at least. Might need access to a press though. You've always got a certain forum to help!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
kayjas

Post by kayjas »

Me again, I still have the strange noise, I do not know what the part is called but its the part the sphere screws onto and it has a gaiter over it. Is it possible this part can make a sort of twangy zebedee sound. Like a ruler being twanged on a desk.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

that is a hydraulic ram kayjas.. and no, I don't think it would make any noise under any circumstances..

as said, your trailing arm bearings are creaking away, and I would look to do them at some point in the near future

John

I have never done them, I don't know how much work to take apart, have a look and regrease, but on the other hand I imagine most of the work to change them is getting to the point where you can inspect them..
kayjas

Post by kayjas »

jgra1 wrote:that is a hydraulic ram kayjas.. and no, I don't think it would make any noise under any circumstances..

as said, your trailing arm bearings are creaking away, and I would look to do them at some point in the near future

John

I have never done them, I don't know how much work to take apart, have a look and regrease, but on the other hand I imagine most of the work to change them is getting to the point where you can inspect them..
Hi John
Any idea which ones I should buy ?
My mechanic will fit these, all I have to do is supply the part.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/control ... _g251.html
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This may help: C5 trailing arms kit
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

if you are getting someone to do the job, maybe get him below the car (on the garage lift) and you in the seat and try full low to high and back, to see if that will make the noise and prove its arm and not some silly thing like a twang from a shield etc.. ?
kayjas

Post by kayjas »

jgra1 wrote:if you are getting someone to do the job, maybe get him below the car (on the garage lift) and you in the seat and try full low to high and back, to see if that will make the noise and prove its arm and not some silly thing like a twang from a shield etc.. ?

Sounds like a good idea, i am getting the front spheres changed next week so could look then.

BTW the noise only happens occasionally. Never heard it when the temperature is cold.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This is the bits you need: Rear arm repair kit Very good price at the moment!!

The job itself is not too hard, but there are a couple of stumbling points, which can be near show stoppers....

1. it requires removal of the brake caliper, which means getting the bolts out. On the C5 they are loctited into the caliper, and they can be nearly impossible to get out. This will be a good time to clean the inevitable corrosion between the arm and the caliper - which probably means new pads (and perhaps discs). If the pads are OK and not wearing off square then leaving the caliper on the arm and just disconnecting the brake line might be the easier option.
2. You need to remove the clip on the suspension ram. Now, this can range from Hayne's "pull the pin out" version to being impossible to remove. Don't know exactly on the C5, it might be possible to remove the arm complete with the push rod attached if you can get enough clearance. I know from bitter experience you can do this just on a Xantia, but the layout is different.
3. The ABS sensor connector is above the fuel tank, so it will need to be pulled through with a piece if string to get it back in place afterwards.
Richard W
kayjas

Post by kayjas »

RichardW wrote:This is the bits you need: Rear arm repair kit Very good price at the moment!!

The job itself is not too hard, but there are a couple of stumbling points, which can be near show stoppers....

1. it requires removal of the brake caliper, which means getting the bolts out. On the C5 they are loctited into the caliper, and they can be nearly impossible to get out. This will be a good time to clean the inevitable corrosion between the arm and the caliper - which probably means new pads (and perhaps discs). If the pads are OK and not wearing off square then leaving the caliper on the arm and just disconnecting the brake line might be the easier option.
2. You need to remove the clip on the suspension ram. Now, this can range from Hayne's "pull the pin out" version to being impossible to remove. Don't know exactly on the C5, it might be possible to remove the arm complete with the push rod attached if you can get enough clearance. I know from bitter experience you can do this just on a Xantia, but the layout is different.
3. The ABS sensor connector is above the fuel tank, so it will need to be pulled through with a piece if string to get it back in place afterwards.

Thanks Richard for sharing this info. Very much appreciated.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I looked up the official procedure which is to remove the brake pipe at the caliper and to remove the ABS sensor from the arm. Removing the ABS sensor requires dropping the fuel tank....
Richard W