EGS clutch replacement....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

EGS clutch replacement....

Post by RichardW »

After getting a new clutch fitted in our C4 Picasso a couple of weeks ago, the clutch has now seemingly gone on my mate's C4 Picassso - except his is a 2.0 HDI with EGS. He's in Glencoe, lives in Ulverston, and we're inbetween in Lanark.... for various reasons I think he is getting it here to replace the clutch. So..... anyone done an EGS clutch, and any tips on how it differs to a std one? I found a thread which referenced a procedure for a C2 for adjusting the pre-load when refitting (3mm) and then initialisation via Diagbox. I assume similar. Does the gear selector just unbolt from the box (or do you in fact not need to remove it?) Garage that did ours took the subframe out, but that was a bit of a mare due to the front bolts being seized - is it at all possible without getting the sub out?
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: EGS clutch replacement....

Post by RichardW »

OK looks like a concentric slave, fed off the main box actuator, so the procedure given there is not right....
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Went through Glencoe to Moidart on Sunday. Back down through it last night with the Donk. Is he working or playing up there?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

pardon my ignorance but what is EGS? Is it a semi auto arrangement or a dual clutch setup? Either way it is usually far from simple
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have replaced many of these now, and it is straightforward if you have Lexia.
To begin with you depressurise the hydraulics.
Always fit a new electronic clutch cylinder ECP now stock these at about £40 less than Citroen. On rebuild, you then depressurise the hydraulics , then bleed them (all this is done with Lexia, sitting in the car) finally you program the gearbox grid , and then on road test, carry out a procedure of pulling away fairly sharp about 10 times . This adjusts the biting point of the clutch.
All procedures in the workshop require a voltage applied to,the battery to keep the charge up. We have a specific voltage stabilisation charger for this, but you can use a set of jump leads from another car. It will not carry out the procedure if you try and use the cars standard battery.
Sounds complicated, but it's all step by step on Lexia.
Physically changing the clutch is the hard part, takes about 1 day one else you are good at it.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cheers Lighty. In the end we decided not to tackle - he found somewhere local to him that said they would do it. However, they thought they were going to do it without Lexia....hmmm! He has just bought one though, so should be able to configure it if they can't when the new unit is in.

Do you take the subframe out on these, or can you manage it with it in?
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

No subframe had to come out, the 2.0 diesel is the easier job of the two compared to the 1.6.
I have a 2.0 to do this week, actually enjoy doing them now :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Official Cit procedure is to remove the engine and box complete - and bill the customer 9.5 hours!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Looks like in fact the gearbox has lunched itself.... garage drained the oil, and most of the internals came out with it! He's on the trail of one out of a breaker that has only done 46k.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Clutch and box replaced, but it's not happy.... Only had a brief chat with him, but it went OK for a bit then started with random incorrect gear selection. Any ideas? I wondered if perhaps it's not bled properly, or the initiation procedure has not worked / been fully carried out.
Richard W