C5 2.2Hdi accelerator cable adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

C5 2.2Hdi accelerator cable adjustment

Post by xantom »

Hello Guys,
I've got massive play in my accelerator pedal, about half of its total travel. This is indicated on a couple of posts as being the source of a couple of bad behaviors by the car so I'm keen to adjust it. I located one post that says ow to do it but it doesn't seem as simple as described. I can't locate the engine bay end of the cable to adjust it. I've removed the battery but I'm a bit anxious about removing the 'fuse box behind it' as described because in my car that's a pretty big job as it has ECUs and all sorts pretty securely bolted in. Can anyone give ma a more specific indication of where the accelerator cable is connected in the engine bay so I know I'm in the right place before I start a pulling away all the fuses and ECU from that big plastic box behind my battery.
Thanks.
Tom
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 2.2Hdi accelerator cable adjustment

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's the potentiometer adjustment - I found this post for you:
http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/ci ... tor-pedal/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's a very useful piece of information Mark.
Would you mind posting it in the "Useful Links" section please.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Will do - just on a dial in with a member at the mo! :-D

Marc
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

Thanks Guys, got it done. Had to take a deep breath before I had the courage to set about the fuses and ECUs in there. Never quite confident that things will still work after they get disturbed. Too many old cars and old electronics. There isn't any more adjustment available now as I've had to put the clip is so far down the connector sleeve now it only just holds into its mounting without wobbling. It has made a terrific difference to most of the car's performance though. She accelerates much more energetically and kicks down perfectly. Only thing is the initial acceleration from rest, that's still poor until the turbo kicks in so starting across junctions and roundabouts is never relaxing. I'm sure it shouldn't be like that, I've driven other cars with torque converters and they had decent bite and acceleration at low revs. Any suggestions?
Tom
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I'm not sure how much different it is to the 2.0 8V HDi - sounds very similar, but if you are brave enough and have reasonable dexterity, it's actually possible *just* to do it without removing the fuses or box - I managed this on 2 of mine, it's done blind and one-handed, but it is possible, just.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the additional tips - I've taken editorial licence and consolidated this into a small article and posted it to the Useful links section as Steve suggested:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 26#p477626 8-)

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Marc
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Just an observation believe that slack throttles only affects models up to the Facelift, after that the Pot and pedal were an integrated assembly fitted on the fwd bulkhead.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

xantom wrote:Thanks Guys, got it done. ........ She accelerates much more energetically and kicks down perfectly. Only thing is the initial acceleration from rest, that's still poor until the turbo kicks in so starting across junctions and roundabouts is never relaxing. I'm sure it shouldn't be like that, I've driven other cars with torque converters and they had decent bite and acceleration at low revs. Any suggestions?
Tom
How many miles since the last FAP change? there is another thread running with slow pick up as one of the symptoms, that one looks like there may be comms problem with the gearbox.
One thought about this that keeps coming to my mind is is the turbo modulating sleeve sticking, a not uncommon fault on VAG engines I understand,
Might be worth disconnecting the VAC control line to the turbo from the electrovalve, no vacuum should put the turbo into max boost mode if the turbo is working correctly it should work o.k most of the time but under some conditions it will / should go into overboost and then into limp mode, however if the sleeve is stuck then it is unlikely that much will change.

A Lexia would allow the boost pressure to monitored and compared or a normal boost gauge could be used, though getting a length of rubber pipe into the cab could present a challenge :-)
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC