C5 2.0 hdi 2006 model high pressure pump not pumping?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wizaird

C5 2.0 hdi 2006 model high pressure pump not pumping?

Post by wizaird »

:roll: Hi folks... I am at a loss with this one... My c5 2.0 hdi died on me at the weekend and it's destined for the scrapyard unless I can solve this mystery....

Rac said it was my fuel filter that was blocked as the hand primer was hard to squeeze...
They towed me back... And I fitted a new one
Hand primed the new filter and it is still hard to squeeze even when I disconnected the return side to check what was going through...
So I disconnected the injector feed from the pump side to see what came out when cranked.... Nothing at all.. Not even a dribble...
I am stumped... Car was running fine... Went over a couple of speed bumps at 20 mph... The went to accelerate and it died away....

Has the pumped failed?

Or has a sensor failed....?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated

Got till Tuesday to cancel scrapyard....

Thanks Dave
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: C5 2.0 hdi 2006 model high pressure pump not pumping?

Post by BenC5HDi »

Probably needs to go on a lexia diagnostic machine which will tell you exactly what's wrong. Most of the bits - HP pump, injectors etc are cheap as chips secondhand off eBay.

Does it have an in-tank pump? You should be able to hear it priming under the rear seats. If you can't, take the cover plate off it and smack the top of the in-tank pump firmly, it might start working again. My C5 does this occasionally, and has done for about 3 years. It really needs the pump replacing but...
wizaird

Post by wizaird »

Hi... This one doesn't have the in tank pump as it is hand primed....
Need someone with Lexia to come to me really to take a look...

Just think it's electrical and something has switched off....
The Rac guy tried easystart and that made no difference... It didnt fire up? Thought it would on easystart regardless?

Thanks Dave
wizaird

Post by wizaird »

I'm in Coalville, East Midlands if anyone is offering...
Thanks Dave
ricasso

Post by ricasso »

Sounds electrical to me, if you went over some bumps and it died sounds like a dodgy connector somewhere, I'd go round all the connectors you can find in the engine bay and give 'em a good soaking of contact cleaner spray, I had something similar on my other car, a Corvette, it seemed to do the trick.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

In the handbook it says "Your vehicle is equipped with a fuel cut off switch in case of an accident." Unfortunately it doesn't say where, or if it is possible to manually reset it or needs a computer reset.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wizaird

Post by wizaird »

Had the AA out to it today..... After I attempted a BSi reset as well as checking all the fuses.

Didn't find anything amiss.... AA guy plugged in and found a load of errors..bear in mind I have been cranking it over with the injectors cracked open to see if any fuel was coming through...

P1198, unknown
P2199 unknown
P2562 solenoid boost pressure control inadequate pressure attained
P0087 rail pressure inadequate
U2001,unknown
P1693 unknown
P0238 boost pressure sensor open circuit -positive short
P2563 solenoid boost pressure too high
P2562 solenoid boost pressure inadequate
P2199 unknown .fault

He deleted them and asked me to start it... While he monitored fuel rail pressure on is computer. This showed nothing on fuel pressure at all... Just a dash.

He was baffled and threw the towel in....
So unfortunately it ends there.

Worst vehicle I have ever had.... My old C5 2003 model was a great reliable motor.... I retired that one when National tyres jacked it up on the exhaust at 190000 miles.... Had it for yrs and it only needed a MAF sensor during that time to sort some intermittent surging...

Anyway sorry I can be of no help to any other C5 2006 users

Thanks Dave