Peugeot 309 Rear Wiper Defunct!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlanBP
My Cars:

Peugeot 309 Rear Wiper Defunct!

Post by AlanBP »

Hope someone can help here. Wife's 309 GLD (89F Special Equipment model)suddenly lost function from rear screen wiper.
Took motor assembly etc off & tested it on battery & works fine smoothly etc. Noticed from multi plug which has 3 wires going in. One is earth, one is permanent 12V supply & I'm not sure what the other does, presumably from the relay? Fuse is OK, washer motor runs OK. Checked wires running to rear tail gate, & they seem clean & good nick. Noted 2 wires to heated screen at the top, and two wires feeding in along the tail gate struts (which I recently replaced, but cleaned up & fitted new spade connectors etc) Also connected tail gate earth point direct to good body earth with a jump lead in case this helped, but it didn't!!
Any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem? Also which relay is the rear wiper one. I've got 3 on the fuse box.
Hoping its not something to do with the park switch in the motor its self.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Alan P
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The permenant live (via ignition switch) going to the motor is there to keep it running untill it reaches its park point after being switched off, the permenant live is then disconnected within the mechanism and the motor stops, the switched live is then required to set it going again and to keep it going.
Your task it would seem is to find out why the switched live is dead.
Check the stalk switch if it has one, they're not very robust.
Dave
AlanBP
My Cars:

Post by AlanBP »

Thanks Dave
The wiper operates from a push button switch in the central dash area. It operates the wash pump but alas not the wiper motor. When I put 12 volts thru the 3rd contact the motor runs through a revolution then stops.
Do you suppose it might be a wiring problem or could the relay be at fault?
Thanks again
Alan P
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

There is a relay located in the main fusebox on the 309. The wiper relay is black in colour, and quite expensive from your local peugeot dealer! Like the 205 model, there could be some more located elswhere in the tailgate.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have you tested the switch Alan.
Also if you connect the permenant live and supply a live to the third terminal does it keep the motor going.
Dave