A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by Peter.N. »

They had a whole range of Farina's Jim. I passed my driving test in an Austin A40 Devon van but they brought out a new A40 which was a Farina design, completely different car though. The Morris Oxford Farina was one of a group of nearly identical cars, the A60 Cambridge as mentioned, there was also a Wolsely, Riley and MG version, basically the same mechanics just different grills and interiors.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wolsely and MG had twin SU 1.1/2 inch carbs on the A60

Wolsley was called a 16/90 (?) and the MG a Magnette.

The larger Austin Westminster had the 2.8ltr engine as used in the Healey, this was NOT the C type engine btw. The reason you cannot find them now :)
....I used a Westminster block re bored to 3.2 ltr, rebuilt with new a Dennis Welsh Ally head, stage 2 Cams, 3 Webbers ect
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: Wolsley was called a 16/90 (?) and the MG a Magnette.
I believe, may be wrong, but the 16 bit was the horsepower (similar to the French CV ratings) and 90 was its top speed...

Magnette I think is a fantastic name for a car...

Don't say much for the poor old 4/44 does it!!!

Peter, my dad had several A40 Farinas when I was a lad... They still look good to this day... Farina never produced a bad looking car... Timeless...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

....the aforementioned MG Magnette in mkIV form.....no stranger to a bit of two-tone-age

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

buy it, sell engine to AH owner, fit US 5ltr V8...= MAKE money to fund the Hot Rod but loose the rear axle and the front King-Pins (Fit MG V8 (F) Jag (R))
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:....the aforementioned MG Magnette in mkIV form.....no stranger to a bit of two-tone-age

That is gorgeous 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: I believe, may be wrong, but the 16 bit was the horsepower (similar to the French CV ratings) and 90 was its top speed...

Magnette I think is a fantastic name for a car...

Don't say much for the poor old 4/44 does it!!!
Found this on wiki, so I presume the 18/85 which looked like an Austin 1800 had an 1800 engine, and 85hp on tap.
Wolseley often used a two-number system of model names. Until 1948, the first number was engine size in units of taxable horsepower as defined by the Royal Automobile Club. Thus, the 14/60 was rated at 14 hp (RAC) for tax purposes but actually produced 60 hp (45 kW). Later, the first number equalled the number of cylinders. After 1956, this number was changed to reflect the engine's displacement for four-cylinder cars. Therefore, the seminal 15/60 was a 1.5-litre engine capable of producing 60 hp (45 kW). Eventually, the entire naming system was abandoned.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Feb 2016, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Neil :D I was sort of 50% right then!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

..just to veer off on a Magnette tangent for a moment this is a MG Magnette ZB Varitone (I like that description equivalent to 2-tone, bicolor,etc)

I stumbled across a picture of the dash/ instruments/ steering wheel......very stylish in my opinion.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Excellent stuff Neil :D I was sort of 50% right then!
The Aussies got a 24/80
The 24/80 was based on the British four-cylinder Wolseley 15/60 model.[1] It was powered by a six-cylinder version of the 1,622 cc (99.0 cu in) B-series engine, known as the "Blue Streak" straight-six engine with a capacity of 2,433 cc (148.5 cu in) and developing 80 bhp (60 kW; 81 PS). Coupled to the engine was a three-speed gearbox, adapted from the Nash Metropolitan, with synchromesh on the upper two ratios and a steering column gear change.

You can tell from the palm trees its not Northumberland!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I stumbled across a picture of the dash/ instruments/ steering wheel......very stylish in my opinion.

A true work of art...

We need dashes like that again, beats plastic any day.. Love it..
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: The Aussies got a 24/80
The 24/80 was based on the British four-cylinder Wolseley 15/60 model.[1] It was powered by a six-cylinder version of the 1,622 cc (99.0 cu in) B-series engine, known as the "Blue Streak"

Wow ! :shock: They powered it with one of these:

It must have gone like.... erm.... a rocket :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: The Aussies got a 24/80
The 24/80 was based on the British four-cylinder Wolseley 15/60 model.[1] It was powered by a six-cylinder version of the 1,622 cc (99.0 cu in) B-series engine, known as the "Blue Streak"
Wow ! :shock: They powered it with one of these:

It must have gone like.... erm.... a rocket :-D
There's an article from the Australian Magazine "Wheels" in 1963 entitled "How to make a Blue Streak Missile"

Nothing sinister just tips for tuning the BMC Straight Six "Blue Streak" fitted to the 24/80. The triple carburetter modification turned it into a 24/97 on its own :)

BMC itself has taken an unprecedented step for a major motor manufacturer in this country of offering through its dealers, a triple SU carburettor kit. In its finalised form the strictly bolt-on kit pushes the Blue Streak's power up to 97bhp at 4500rpm (an increase of 27 percent over stock) and torque is raised to 132 ft/Ib at 2750rpm (or 7.3 percent better than standard).
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The early Farina Oxford types had rear fins and the 1500cc engine, the Wolsely version was a 15/50, the later ones had the 1600 engine and no fins, the rear wings rolled off at the back, the Wolsely with that engine was the 16/60.

I bought a LHD Oxford estate, it had come from Lebanon and didn't have a spot of rust on it, neither did it have a straight panel or suspension arm - but it was cheap. 8-) I got all the bits from the scrap yard and refurbished it and straightened the panels and resprayed it. I bought it when we lived in Kent in the late '60s and still had it when we moved down here, it proved to be a very good car, the ride was superb, hardly a bump was felt, mind you it may still have had crossply tyres.

It was due for MOT and the steering box was failing, the chances of getting a replacement LHD one were pretty remote so I went to my local friendly scrap yard in Bridport and took all the bits to change it to RHD from a Wolsely 16/60 including the walnut dash and steering wheel, looked very smart. I ran it for a few more years and then fitted a BMC 1500 diesel engine, not a brilliant conversion, should have put a Perkins 4/108 in as I did in a number of other cars, much better.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote:I went to my local friendly scrap yard in Bridport and took all the bits to change it to RHD from a Wolsely 16/60 including the walnut dash and steering wheel, looked very smart.
would have looked something like this then Peter...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey