MK1 C5 vs MK3 C5?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IHateMySelf
My Cars: Citroen C5 HDI 2.2 Auto 2001 (51)

MK1 C5 vs MK3 C5?

Post by IHateMySelf »

Has anyone owned both cars for extended periods of time who can give reliable comparison between the two?

I'm more interested in comfort and handling.... for example the MK1 has big comfy captains seats whilst from what i can tell from pictures the MK3 does not.

Of course the MK3 build quality and design trumps the MK1 but thats a different story.

Thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: MK1 C5 vs MK3 C5?

Post by Paul-R »

As I'm currently contemplating an X7 I'll also find any answers interesting.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Mk3 has two different seat designs available, you've probably just seen one type ... I didn't actually own the Mk1, but have driven it for a while and know how it handles (the Mk2 is available to me on a daily basis, if needed) ... what do you want to compare specifically, it is hard to generalize, since it is all a matter of personal preference (disregarding that it is somehow "normal" to have a newer car if possible) ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just general observations, I've owned the Mk1, the face-lifted Mk2 and the X7 (see my cars on the left for specs).
Interior: The Mk1 plastics are a bit 'squeeky', improved on the Mk2. The X7 is completely different - very much more solid and the quality of the plastics are much improved throughout. The X7 does feel like it 'cocoons' you. The seats are very comfortable. My leather ones are infinitely adjustable. Unlike the Mk2, the X7 also has an adjustable top part for your shoulders. Over the Mk2, the 'shiatsu' massager built into the drivers seat is heaven, but as the seats are so comfortable, I only use it when I have a bad back, where I nip out into the car for 10 minutes :-D.
Mk1 & 2 door bin holders - insanely annoying - everything slides around (get some rubber mesh matting and cut to size to cure). The X7 has felt added to stop this and with the ambient lighting option, the door bins light up as you put your hand in them. Also the ambient lighting has very subtle amber lighting for the door handles, along the bottom of the dashboard and passenger glovebox that give a warm glow at night, plus a light that aims down from the ceiling console to place a warm light over the gearbox area. Really nice touch.
Steering Wheel: The X7 has a fixed centre steering wheel, which means none of the extensive controls, wheels and buttons spin around like a merry go round when your are going round the roundabout trying to turn the volume down! You soon get to memorise the button locations.
Boot - Unlike both Mk1 & 2s, the X7 isn't a hatchback and I do miss this on occasion. Although you can lower the rear seats flat, sometimes having the extra height of the hatchback on the previous models is a real help.
Headroom: Mk1 & Mk2 had higher ceilings and were easier to get in and out of. When I first had the X7, I must of clunked my head getting in and out of the car God knows how many times - as the sides were lower and the headlining area by the pillars is thicker. I am now used to it of course, but it you are of a taller stature and have the exclusive with the memory seats, you can easily programme setting 2 to lower the seat to ease getting out! :-D

Handling:
Wheels: Mk1 C5s can be a bu**er to balance. Always had wheel balancing issues on the fronts that caused some vibration at different speeds for some reason, despite numerous brands of tyres and different garages fitting them. (All my cars were Citroen main dealer maintained and serviced, so nothing wrong with the steering/driveshafts/links etc.). Never had this issue (yet) on the X7.
Ride: The ride on the X7 surpassed both my Mk1 & 2 C5s. The ride is firmer and less 'waffty' than it's predecessors, yet still retains the comfort. The sports setting makes a huge difference when you're having a Carlos Fandango moment. It has the new generation stability programme (haven't had a chance to see this in action in the ice & snow yet), but if it's as good as they say, you shouldn't notice it anyway!
First time I drove the X7 it felt like I was in an old Ford Capri - the bonnet was much longer than previous models and took a while to get used to.
Noise: The first thing my mate said to me after he re-positioned his jaw from the awesomeness of the car when he first got in was how quiet it was. You can actually have a conversation without having to have the stereo on to drown out the road noise, unlike the previous 2 models. They have added a lot more sound deadening material on the X7 and if you have the Exclusive, you'll also get laminated side windows too (2 layers of glass and one plastic).
The Hydractive X7's running gear is lifted from the Citroen C6.
Just a few observations, as not sure what you are looking to hear, but overall it is my opinion that the X7 is the best of the C5s. They have learned from many mistakes on the previous models from customer feedback and have come up with all together more solid car (some of the exterior panels are now metal rather than the plastic of the earlier C5s). That's not to say there won't be any faults as there inevitably will be with a new car, but that's what great forums like this are all about. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

GiveMeABreak wrote:They have added a lot more sound deadening material on the X7 and if you have the Exclusive, you'll also get laminated side windows too (2 layers of glass and one plastic).
Why this hasn't been on my to-do list is beyond me ... :D .. probably because I first have to remove the door card to see what I could actually do once the raw metal shows its face ... :D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Just general observations,
Brilliant. Just the sort of thing that I've been looking for. As someone who now suffers from the occasional bad back I'd not considered the lower roof line.
Last edited by Paul-R on 09 Feb 2016, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Jocm1
My Cars: C5 MkIi C5 Mkl C4 Grand Picasso

Post by Jocm1 »

I put circa 100k on a MK 1 2003 VTR+ saloon and am now driving a 2008 MK3 tourer - 25k done so far on the MK3 its a great car but I think the MK1 is better - better ride if you like the oil (which I do) and more reliable and more economical. The roof is lower on the X7 right enough but you soon get used to it and it does feel more grown up than its predecessors in fact more German which is how it was marketed but I think the last great Citroën - apart from the C6 - was the MK1 a real gem in the 2.0HDI format.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

What did you find better about the ride , jocm?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The X7 is I think a far better modern car, the Mk1/2 are softer and less precise on the road by a wide margin with very woolly steering that is not great for med/fast country roads and a massive lack of feel and wash out on the front.

The road holding is miles ahead with the X7, more like a Audi without the super stiff ride. Feed back "feel" frnt/rear is very good on the X7
Brakes are far better on the X7 as the chassis is more stable.

Wet roads/rough roads do not inspire confidence in the Mk1/2's, the X7 rides them well with very good front/rear end grip in comparison. I would not like the Mk1/2 in the mountains :) and I hated it in snow.

Mk1/2 is a bigger car with a taller roof line in the boot, but both are very good for me with my radiator loads :)

Seats are more supportive and sporty in the X7 with more adjustment (Exclusive) but I find the squab a little thin, seats in the Mk1/2 are big chairs and are perfect for motorways but not for a car that handles like the X7.

I LOVE the cabin in the X7 despite lack of room for bits and peices.....but you quickly get used to the lack of clutter you carry.

It is so different is a little hard to compare the two really, chalk and cheese.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

See that's exactly how I compare the two sticky .. annoyingly the exact opposite way though ;) !
Are you about on Fri late afternoon.. I should be passing ish .. be interested to see how ours compare ..
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yes I will be in, will put the coffee on :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Shame I'm not closer to join you, to show you how the steel springs cope with your fine bottoms ... :D
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

I drove a 2002 C5 for 3 years....Pros, big comfy seats, practical tailgate, more roomy interior. Cons, pig ugly, wallowy in corners unless Sport mode activated, wheels a nightmare to balance. Now driving an 09 X7 Exclusive for last year... Pro's, sexy looking car which does get comments from other people, well put together with nice switchgear and instrumentation. Cons, storage space at a premium, saloon boot lid, low roofline means you will brain yourself a few times until you get used to the low roof.
Ride comfort i can't pick either way, my 02 had Hydractive 3+ with the extra spheres and Sport mode, the X7 Exclusive is just as capable but no better than my MK1 in a straight line, in corners it outhandles the MK1 by a country mile.
Its a no brainer for me...X7 every time.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

vborovic wrote:Shame I'm not closer to join you, to show you how the steel springs cope with your fine bottoms ... :D
The seat squab cushioning and being thin is the problem for long drives for me (not the cars springs/spheres) , but I have a bone for a bum with no fat on it..... unlike fat Germans we are told they were designed for :)
The seats in general are a perfect fit (being tall this is rare in any car) but I miss the arm chair base padding of the Mk1/2 on a long journey. Hardly a deal breaker when all other things are taken into account.

I have never brained myself on the roof and at 6-4 I regard myself as a tall lanky streak of you know what...:) Try an Audi A4 estate for that !

The static wheel center/controls are like many things "Citroen", they take a little time to get used to then they excel (eg: do NOT believe the reviews based on cars driven for 1 hour/day)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Forgot to mention, i regularly take a 6' 8" passenger in the front of my X7 and he commented on how roomy it was for his very long legs.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink: