Facelift C5 - What are they like?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Captain Slow
My Cars: C5 Estate V6

Facelift C5 - What are they like?

Post by Captain Slow »

I've done this the wrong way round. Decided I'd like a C5 estate, and focused on the facelift from circa 2005.

Having found one and just ironing out some bits, I thought it best to find out what they are actually like before committing. I'm looking at an estate with the 3ltr V6 & 6 speed auto box.

So what are they like to live with on a daily basis? Whats the ride quality like? Handling? Engine? Gearbox? Interior? Stereo? Etc Etc. I've read some reviews, but need some first hand experience.

Currently driving around in a 2001 XC70 with the 2.4T petrol lump (which has been brilliant) and and have owned a XM CT auto (didn't get on with) along with a few Activas, C4 VTS, Xsara VTS and a BX estate if this helps with comparisons.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: Facelift C5 - What are they like?

Post by BenC5HDi »

Interested to hear that you like the XC70. I have a feeling my next car might be one of those after having a hankering for a big petrol auto.

I think I own your ex-C4 VTS...:)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Don't know about a 3.0 v6 estate, but I owned a 2007 2.0 hdi vtr saloon for 6 months or so untill I crashed it. I have also owned a 2003 c5 2.2 hdi sx, and a 2007 c4 vts. The face lifted c5 wasn't quite as comfortable seats for me as the earlier sx or the vts. But then an exclusive I would think would have better seats, I have heard the leather ones are as comfortable as any. Autobox, no idea! Ride quality was excellent on both c5's, softer than the C4, but not overly soft. The earlier o e had the sport button, the 2007 one didn't and to be honest I noticed very little difference. The newer c5 had better roadholding, but then I had aftermarket 18" alloys shod with quality 225/40 x18 tyres that were also on the C4. I would say the c5 surprisingly handled as well as the vts, but then I very rarely push a car to its limits. Engine/gearbox, nothing I can say about my hdi can intrest you looking at a v6 auto lol. I preferred the interior of the earlier sx, it was mainly because of the seats though. Slight differences in the instruments and centre console between them but not enough to have much opinion on. I, if I wanted an estate, would have no hesitation buying a c5, it would have to be an exclusive if a facelifted one, have to be auto, any engine, but I have a hankering g for a v6.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

BenC5HDi wrote:Interested to hear that you like the XC70. I have a feeling my next car might be one of those after having a hankering for a big petrol auto.

I have the manual as the autos have a habit of dying. I cannot fault the car, I do really like it. Its taken everything we can throw at it well. My issue is now that its got a bit of an oil leak, blue smoke, wheel bearing needs replacing, the body has a few knocks and the awd isn't working. Truth be told the bodywork I knew about 18 months ago but the awd not working I wasn't aware of. Its at the point now where I either chuck some money at it, or move it on before something big occurs. It's not a good enough example to keep ploughing money into if you know what I mean. I'd quite happily have a new one, but I'd need to spend around 5k to get a good one it seems. They are great cars, but I can get a C5 estate for circa £1500. Thats a lot of back up money.

Have you still got the C4? M666? That was indeed mine. Great car, just not great with a new born.
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

daviemck2006 wrote:Don't know about a 3.0 v6 estate, but I owned a 2007 2.0 hdi vtr saloon for 6 months or so untill I crashed it. I have also owned a 2003 c5 2.2 hdi sx, and a 2007 c4 vts. The face lifted c5 wasn't quite as comfortable seats for me as the earlier sx or the vts. But then an exclusive I would think would have better seats, I have heard the leather ones are as comfortable as any. Autobox, no idea! Ride quality was excellent on both c5's, softer than the C4, but not overly soft. The earlier o e had the sport button, the 2007 one didn't and to be honest I noticed very little difference. The newer c5 had better roadholding, but then I had aftermarket 18" alloys shod with quality 225/40 x18 tyres that were also on the C4. I would say the c5 surprisingly handled as well as the vts, but then I very rarely push a car to its limits. Engine/gearbox, nothing I can say about my hdi can intrest you looking at a v6 auto lol. I preferred the interior of the earlier sx, it was mainly because of the seats though. Slight differences in the instruments and centre console between them but not enough to have much opinion on. I, if I wanted an estate, would have no hesitation buying a c5, it would have to be an exclusive if a facelifted one, have to be auto, any engine, but I have a hankering g for a v6.
Thanks for that. All good info. What is the switchgear like? Radio etc?
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

Captain Slow wrote:
BenC5HDi wrote:Interested to hear that you like the XC70. I have a feeling my next car might be one of those after having a hankering for a big petrol auto.

Have you still got the C4? M666? That was indeed mine. Great car, just not great with a new born.
I have, though I got it's old reg back, and it's now GF05 again. It had some "issues" over the summer, not least of which was the clutch exploding, but it all seems good again now, just ticking over onto 93,000 miles. It'll be sold on soon I think..

I really do fancy an XC70, or perhaps a V70 2.4 or T5, but it'll need to be an auto.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The radio was good enough quality for me, and I found the switchgear ligical enough and nothing broke on either car and both had covered about 120k when I last saw them. The only problems I had that could be the same as the v6 were both climate control issues. The first one needed the ecu, I don't really know if that's what is called, down in the driver's footwear replacing as the heater fan stopped working. A 5 minute job to change it, once you find it under the carpet and s rape your knuckles on the clutch pedal, and the replacement part was only about £25 off eBay if I remember correctly. The second one a bit worse problem, the heat temperature flap in the heater box packed op on the driver's side and only blew cold air. This could either the motor goosed or the plastic drive wheel on the motor broken, both possibly caused by the flap seizing. There are 4 of these motors, the left side ones can be bodged by removing the glove box and cutting a hole in the heater box, I think, the driver's one, tough, do the job properly. That means a dash out job, which I did not do, but was booked in to get done when I bashed it. The only other fault really worth mentioning as it is very common, is the rear radius arm bearings have a tendency to beak up, easily spotted looking at the wheels like this /-\ Not really the end of the world, think I was about £200 to a garage to replace one on the second car. None of that would put me off buying another some day.
I agree with you about the c4vts, a lovely car, but the problem for me was it wasn't very buggered back friendly, I really struggled to get in and out of it, mainly due to the length of the doors and not getting them opened far enough. Would I have another of them? Afraid to say no. It was also too peaky for me and encouraged me to drive like a hooligan, a 2.0 hdi would be ok, but not as a vts, as an exclusive 5 door. That would be ok and I would consider one
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

Thanks. Good info.

Any others with some feedback?
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

Despite never sitting in a C5, I've just agreed to buy one. Hopefully should get it in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hope it's a good one
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I hope the exhaust is in good condition, because when David Hallworth was looking for a back box for a C5 V6 hatch it was over a grand.....!!!!
Richard W
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

RichardW wrote:I hope the exhaust is in good condition, because when David Hallworth was looking for a back box for a C5 V6 hatch it was over a grand.....!!!!
:rofl2:

Thanks for telling me...kinda wish you hadn't!

I'll be getting one made if thats the case!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yeh.....it was sealed for life :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

Quick question, been reading a bit about navidrive.

As I've not seen the car, I have no idea what's fitted. This is the only pic of the interior fitted. Was it even fitted to the 05 cars?

Mdon

Post by Mdon »

That looks identical to my c5 (even the same colour that show sticky baby marks like nobodies business!) theres no sat nav fitted to that car in the picture.
Current vehicle
2010 peugeot 3008 1.6 HDi exclusive
2007 Citroen C5 20.HDi estate exclusive

Past French cars
2000 Xantia HDi 90 Forte
2002 C5 HDi 110 LX
2002 Renault laguna 1.8 16v
2008 Renault laguna estate 1.5dci