Diameter of holes for rear parking sensors.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Diameter of holes for rear parking sensors.

Post by larkspeed »

Does anyone here know the diameter of hole that the factory fitted rear parking sensors are in on a 2006 Xsara Picasso?

My neighbor's parking sensors have stopped working and I'm wondering if I can pull the factory sensors and use the holes to install a kit from Ebay, those sensors need a hole diameter of 21mm
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Diameter of holes for rear parking sensors.

Post by DHallworth »

Get someone with a lexia to plug it in and see why they've stopped working first of all.

It'll probably be one knackered sensor that's dragging the system down. I remember diagnosing a C5 X7 Estate for someone whose sensors had stopped working. It turned out to be the inner left sensor that had packed in and was dragging the whole system down.

There's a map of Lexia owners on here, unfortunately, most users are in the UK though.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

I have already tried that route and there is nobody near me with one, this is why we want to change the system out and need to know the size of the holes.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Ah, ok. How much are the after market kits? It just seems a lot of hassle to go to when it could just be one sensor? A dealer shouldn't charge much for a diagnostics which would allow you the ability to change the sensor yourself?

The after market ones won't integrate with the car as well as the originals I wouldn't of thought, you'd probably end up with a separate buzzer mounted somewhere inside the car.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

after market kits run about 10 euro and a diagnostic scan runs about 75 euro plus the cost of 1 or more new sensors so over 100 euro at least.

So financially it just makes more sense to change to a different system

I know it's a full new kit I have no intention of integrating them into the factory system I want to bypass it all together.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

larkspeed wrote:I have already tried that route and there is nobody near me with one, this is why we want to change the system out and need to know the size of the holes.
Well there are 100's of Dutch guys already signed up for the CCC International show this year in the Netherlands.......really no one close to you ? I am surprised.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

Stickyfinger wrote:
larkspeed wrote:I have already tried that route and there is nobody near me with one, this is why we want to change the system out and need to know the size of the holes.
Well there are 100's of Dutch guys already signed up for the CCC International show this year in the Netherlands.......really no one close to you ? I am surprised.....

well I have looked at that list and the map and there are only two people listed outside the UK and they are on the other side of the world.

So no none close that I know of.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ask here I am sure they will have a list...(well hope for you )
http://forum.xantiaclub.net/
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

Stickyfinger wrote:Ask here I am sure they will have a list...(well hope for you )
http://forum.xantiaclub.net/
While I do appreciate that you are trying to help let me just clear up a small assumption on your part.

While I do live in The Netherlands I am not dutch, I don't read, write or speak dutch. If I did I would be posting on a dutch forum :)

The factory parking system on these cars is problematic at best and I have discussed the lexia option with the owner of the car and he wants it switched out for an aftermarket system if possible, all I was trying to do by posting here was establish if anyone knew the size of the original holes so I could figure out if this was a feasible option, i'm not going to add more holes to the bumper and if the factory holes are larger than the 21mm of the aftermarket sensors then they won't fit in the holes and he won't bother.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

larkspeed wrote:............. i'm not going to add more holes to the bumper and if the factory holes are larger than the 21mm of the aftermarket sensors then they won't fit in the holes and he won't bother.
Hi, I am going the other way from an 'Ebay' kit, to OEM and, my Ebay kit came with a 22mm cutter, where as I have measured the parts of the OEM sensor that pokes through the bumper and that is about 16mm, so I am having to get 4 adapters made.

My suggestion, just as a safe guard, pop one of the sensors out and measure it.

Remember, if you are going to take the 16mm diameter hole to 22mm diameter, you will need to make the cutter guided to stop it slipping around.
S
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

Sloppysod wrote:
larkspeed wrote:............. i'm not going to add more holes to the bumper and if the factory holes are larger than the 21mm of the aftermarket sensors then they won't fit in the holes and he won't bother.
Hi, I am going the other way from an 'Ebay' kit, to OEM and, my Ebay kit came with a 22mm cutter, where as I have measured the parts of the OEM sensor that pokes through the bumper and that is about 16mm, so I am having to get 4 adapters made.

My suggestion, just as a safe guard, pop one of the sensors out and measure it.

Remember, if you are going to take the 16mm diameter hole to 22mm diameter, you will need to make the cutter guided to stop it slipping around.
S
Cool thanks for that, holes being smaller is workable bigger is what I was worried about.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Np.....I thought Dutch people all spoke English :)

You option will be quicker/as good I think
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider