Correct battery for Xantia HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Correct battery for Xantia HDI

Post by white exec »

Northerner wrote:Got a 77AH Bosch Silver 5 in my V6. Goes flat every couple of weeks cos the car's not running so something must be eating juice at a fair rate while she's idle?
Not sure of exact figures for your V6, but for late XMs, the total "quiescent" (parked up) current drain is approx. 40mA, maximum.

If you check yours (IGN off, doors closed, everything off and quiet) by putting a multimeter in line with one of the battery connections, and you get something like 50mA or less, everything is probably in order.

If the current drain is anywhere near 100mA, this is very high, and something is sapping current. You can selectively remove fuses to pinpoint the culprit. (It's not unknown for cheap recon alternators to drain battery current through their permanent-live (BAT) connection, but this is eaily checked.)

With a 77Ah battery, there will be something like 50Ah useable capacity (before the voltage drops significantly), and theoretically a drain of 50mA should be suppliable for around 1000h (40 days). This corresponds with real life, where you could expect a parked-up car still to be startable after one month, or so.

If the car is being used intermittently, one of these is a great device to keep the battery is good condition, and avoid the over-charging that basic chargers don't prevent. The CTEK units get particularly good reviews.
CTEK MXS 3.8
http://www.ctek.com
They can be left connected to the battery indefinitely.
Chris
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Correct battery for Xantia HDI

Post by xantia_v6 »

Northerner wrote:Got a 77AH Bosch Silver 5 in my V6. Goes flat every couple of weeks cos the car's not running so something must be eating juice at a fair rate while she's idle? Otherwise fine.
Only Mk2 Xantia V6s seem suffer from this, not Mk1s... I seem to recall that there is increased battery drain unless you leave the transmission in "P".

They (Mk 2s) also sometimes don't run properly (or even start!) after a flat battery unless you disconnect and reconnect the battery to give the engine ECU a clean boot.