Toddler problems 2002 c15 1.9 diesel van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Toddler problems 2002 c15 1.9 diesel van

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

My son Left his passenger door open on his 2002 C15 van with his keys
on the passenger seat whilst he was parked on a friends driveway.
The friends toddler got into the car and poked the keys into the ciggy lighter socket
The Little B***r was caught doing this. #-o :roll: [-X
Now he has no power to the cigarette lighter socket and no warning lights on the van.

we have checked the fuses under the drivers side dash and all seem ok.

does anybody know where the fuse may be to the cigarette lighter socket or the warning lamps
please?

we have temporarily lost our C15 manual. with wiring diagrams that are neither here nor there.

Many thanks in advance

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Toddler problems 2002 c15 1.9 diesel van

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Does the van start?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Oh yeah everything else works just the ciggy lighter & warning lights don't.
can't help thinking its a blown relay possibly.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Mine's got blade fuses x several above the passenger parcel shelf & one is for cigarette lighter + (I thought) the interior lights.

If it's got 2CV fuseboxes x 2 on the bulkhead under the bonnet (but, again, they're on the other side - or is "yours" LHD) it MAY have a separate fuse for the lighter, check along the wiring, there may be an in-line fuse holder.

Still puzzled by the dash lights, but have to start somewhere.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
falling-out-with-my-car

The ciggy lighter fuse serves the ciggy lighter (obviously) the interior lights and the Warning light circuit.
I've found out that this is fuse No F4 on the drivers side fuse box RHD.
Must have missed it somehow the printing on the black fuse box cover is not really good and you need a torch to read it.

My Son lost all power to the dashboard once on his C15 it turned out to be the negative connection terminal
Under the Battery tray, there is a black plastic terminal that separates the earth cables to the engine, body and gearbox which ultimately connect
to the battery terminal. Citroen did not provide enough cable it really needs another 5 inches of earth lead so it can flex without tension.

I've got a 2cv and the fuse boxes in the C15 are not like them at all. (white plastic covers over cylindrical glass fuses).

Will bear in mind the fuses over the passenger parcel shelf (Thanks) there might be something hidden up there.

Citroen Dash light bulbs do tend to blow and it means pulling out the dash to replace them all in one go.

Have you got a Variable switch wheel under your steering wheel to adjust the brightness of the bulbs? (a little plastic wheel).buried in the steering column cover.
Maybe the bulbs have been dimmed?
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Earlier C15's had 2 fuse boxes (which I'm sure ARE 2CV derived - but have only see piccies) on the l/h side (at least on RHD vehicles) of the bulkhead, as you look at it from the front of the van.

On those (according to my Haynes manual) fuse 4 (that's 4th from the right) is the cigar lighter, interior lights, clock & hazards. As you will know these fuse boxes have a reputation for poor contacts.

The later ones had a larger fuse box with numerous blade fuses but when this change came in I don't know, which is where I suggested, i.e. immediately behind where the earlier ones were. Mine doesn't have a cover; whether it should have I've no idea but, so far as I know, it's the only fuse box. I'm pretty certain the one fuse protects the same circuits, from memory is the 2nd from the left, as you look at the fuses. I can check my handbook at the weekend. Mine's a 2005 whereas my manual only covers up to '98, so it may be that some time after ditching the underbonnet fuse boxes & 2005 the fuse box changed/lost its cover/moved to the other side.

According to Haynes the warning lights are on another circuit but the circuit diagram seems to suggest some of them are fed from the clock.

You say the fuses seem OK, I'd be inclined to swap at least the one for the lighter, etc for a known good one anyway, at least as a starting point.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Perhaps I should have added, the radio's on that circuit too.

Oh, & there are no relays (other than those for the fans).
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
falling-out-with-my-car

They do call it the Haynes BOL. (Book Of Lies)
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

not heard it called that before but they certainly have a reputation for errors, omissions & inaccuracies.

That said, generally, I've found their wiring diagrams useful, especially for vehicles tat didn't change much over the years.
Anyway, that's all I've got & providing I interpret it with my eyes wide open - & fully focussed on the job in hand/component in question - I should be OK.

Just spotted major gaffe in earlier post: old style, under bonnet, fuse boxes are on your RIGHT as you look at the bulkhead (i.e. the l/h side of the vehicle).

But, as to the particular problem, what is it you take issue with Haynes over?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, if you have the copies for the S1 and S2 Xantia, the instructions for changing the fog light bulbs has just been copied over to the later manual, despite the fact the actual fog light assemblies are very different, and (according to Citroen) the bumper has to come off to change an S2 fog light bulb.

This is just one example of issues I have come across. Taking out the instrument panel on an S2 has (I believe) again just been copied over. It suggests you need to take the steering wheel off. WRONG (true for the S1 though)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car

I take issue with Haynes in them not actually stripping down a vehicle and putting it back together as they say they do
In every manual. if they had actually stripped down every vehicle they wouldn't make so many mistakes.

The past was good with old Haynes manuals but the modern ones just keep referring you to a main stealers
because it needs a special tool for the job or they just couldn't be bothered to buy a tool and lead you through the process
of getting the job done.

The Citroen GS and GSA manuals actually show you how to make the special tools necessary to do the jobs
Not Haynes it is easier to charge you £40 for a manual supposedly based on a complete strip down and rebuild then refer you to a main stealer.
what a rip off. (airbag removal is one popular such subject) there is nothing frightening about removing airbags provided you disconnect the battery for 15 mins before you
remove any airbags. this discharges the capacitors that hold the charge to fire the airbags a power surge of 1mv is enough to fire the bags prematurely.

The inaccuracies are vast and the page numbering system is ridiculous to say the least what was wrong with a simple numbered system?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The old Haynes manuals were great (for someone who knew nothing).
I had the Hillman Minx, Renault 4, Hillman Imp, Princess, Volvo 265, Visa, Fiesta, GS and probably others and found them invaluable but then they started to come up short on information and advice, haven't had one for about 20 years now, just wing it or hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing.

Naturally this site is currently the premium source of information and advice on Frenchies. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My old R4 BoL is so good you could practically build one from scratch using it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

I think right up to the Citroen BX when we had the separate diesel engine book Haynes
got it right, since then its been a terrible journey through Manuals that prove there has never
been a full strip down and rebuild of the vehicle in question. Heck they even seem to copy that statement from cover to cover.

Thanks to Van, we located the fuse that protects the C15 ciggy lighter, interior lights and warning lights up under the passenger side dashboard.

Jobs a goodun.

cheers Nigel.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote:The old Haynes manuals were great (for someone who knew nothing).
I had the Hillman Minx, Renault 4, Hillman Imp, Princess, Volvo 265, Visa, Fiesta, GS and probably others and found them invaluable but then they started to come up short on information and advice, haven't had one for about 20 years now, just wing it or hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing.

Naturally this site is currently the premium source of information and advice on Frenchies. :)
Who's the gorgeous lady in your avatar?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.