coolant leak from rear D/S of engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiAl

coolant leak from rear D/S of engine

Post by XantiAl »

Can anyone advise me as to the likely source of this leak on my 2003 C5 HDI 2000cc turbo, it appears to be from somewhere just above the water pump,I cannot identify exactly where or from what even with a small mirror, such is the congestion in that area. I dont know what to strip first frankly.
thanks to anyone with the time to reply.
alan
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: coolant leak from rear D/S of engine

Post by lexi »

The cam belt covers are not too bad to come off if you follow procedure. That will let you have a look.
Are you sure it is not the water pump housing gasket that is leaking? It covers an area that is wider than the pump sprocket.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
XantiAl

Post by XantiAl »

hi Lexi , Good of you,
This water eventually sheds from the rear engine mounting, this, after trickling down the rear side of the block, on starting up I can see it from the off side wheel arch (wheel removed) in a fine spray approx 3 inches from the rear of the water pump and an inch or two above it, the direction of the spray of course is towrds the rear,
Ive been unable to get my hand to it or even a small inspection mirror.

With engine off and after refilling its a steady trickle,
I have never seen the back end of an HDI block unfortunately, there are core plugs of course,though not visible in situ,
I cant see much alternative except a very tedious strip down, mileage is 135,000,
i have combed the forum for a similar tale but without result.

What do you reckon?
atb alan.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Alan, if you spend a Saturday on it, change the cambelt and Water pump its a tough day but not too bad if you have somewhere (warm and secure) to work on it..if the water pump is a suspect.. they do leak.. to prove it is leaking is half the work of fixing it, so I don't know.. if you are armed with the belt and pump it could be worth a look.. tough call I know..
starter out, batt disconnected first, wheel up and off, liner out of way and you are getting there..

whether you can keep the pump and replace the o-ring I don't know..
but.. in getting the access to the pump, if its not that you will have a much clearer idea of what it is anyway..

annoying

Have you belt or pump change history?
John
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I've no knowledge of your engine, but your saying a "fine spray" reminds me of just such a leak I had from a pin hole which developed in a heater hose on a BX. Could it be a possibility, with it being hot and maybe oily in that area at the back of the engine, causing the hose to soften?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It'll likely either be a split heater hose, or the plastic water pump intake housing has split. Access is not too bad from underneath AIUI - once you have removed the drive shaft......
Richard W
XantiAl

Post by XantiAl »

My thanks to all you gentlemen for your considered responses, Ive no doubt they are all equal possibilities too.
When Im minded (in a day or two perhaps) I think I will start where Richard mentioned and remove the drive shaft,hopefully it will at least give me a better view as well as improved access

John has reminded me with regard to belt/pump history and this evening I will review that in the past service history which I have only glanced through 18 months ago on buying.
I look forwrd to being able to answer my own question sometime soon on this lay up leak.
atb alan (W Cormwall)
XantiAl

Post by XantiAl »

A quick up date, this little problem has been trying, access is so very frustrating,from above or below,and viewing that part of this RHZ block is very nearly impossible,
However with the egr valve and heat exchanger partly removed for close inspection the leak worsened , and it does appear that the joint closest to the EGR valve could be the suspect, I am not familiar with the sort of clamp used on these S/Steel unions ,it doesnt appear to be reuseable, as for what makes these joints water tight also is unknown to me, some form of O ring I presume.
When I have the final 10 mm nut free and the heat exchanger off I will perhaps post a photo, it just may help someone further down the line with a sudden leak from the nether region of an HDI.
cheers for now,, alan