Stepper motor/ heater query

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orosurf
My Cars:

Stepper motor/ heater query

Post by orosurf »

Hi folks, sorry if this has been asked before, I have been searching for days and my head hurts. The heater in my Xantia hdi with climate control/ac has suddenly started to only blow cold air. This is a big problem for me as it is -22 here in Russia. I have checked that the matrix hoses are both hot, had all the control unit out . All flaps seem to work except the one with a stepper motor at the bottom of the heater box. I have also located the climate ecu. I think I have narrowed it down to either the ecu or this stepper motor. My first question is, could this motor be the reason I have no heat ? Secondly , can I take the motor out and move the flap manually as a temporary measure until I can get parts ? Any help much appreciated.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Stepper motor/ heater query

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't remember hearing of this fault on a xantia before, but yes you should be able to remove the stepper motor and manually turn the flap.
You may be able to read back the stepper motor position with a Lexia, but perhaps only on the later versions of the system.
orosurf
My Cars:

Post by orosurf »

Excuse my ignorance , but what is a media ? Am I correct in thinking this flap can prevent the heat from coming through ? Thanks for trying to help.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Sorry, the Android spell checker strikes again, I typed Lexia, but it did not like it...

Yes, I think that that flap is the only physical thing that regulates the air temperature.
orosurf
My Cars:

Post by orosurf »

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. Pretty sure there is nothing else physically wrong with it. The switch unit is toast and I can't easily get another here, Xantias are rare in Russia. I will get one when I am in Europe and cannibalize it. Thanks for your help =D>
orosurf
My Cars:

Post by orosurf »

Not sure if the problem was the stepper motor , the ecu or the control unit, but the flap was stuck, possibly frozen due to the extreme cold and condensation. I managed to get the motor out, open up the reduction gear and manually turn the cog that moves the flap, I now have heat ! Not pretty , but I don't care, at least I can drive the car to Spain now. I will fix it properly later when I am there and can get parts. Just have to put the dashboard back together now !