Mooving C5 LCD sreen down?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

vborovicfan
My Cars: 2009-2013 C5 X7 1.8 facelifted to 2013+ extras.
2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged V8 Portfolio
2007 C4GP 1.8 manual upgraded to exlusive

Mooving C5 LCD sreen down?

Post by vborovicfan »

Hi dear fellows,I have read this forum for a more than year. I have no fear for chirurgical intervensions (both in cars and human beings) whatsoever. Actualy what Mr.Vborovich does for its car its impressive- I have no doubt that he isable dismantle his C5 dashboard much faster than professional soldier dismantless his Ak-47. I and I'm quite sure they both does this each morking- just to keep skills up to level. :D

Anyway back to topic- I'm thinking to make my C5 GPS capable.

there is several ways-
1) http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-pro ... oject.html this is what is beyound my progrming abilities,so its off.

2)Fit original navigation like Vborovich did. Yet after rereading all his post its not clear 100% will it work in my car..

3) Fit Garmin or Tom tom navigation and moove my radio LCD panel to the place it should be from factoty- near cd player unit. I have darwn quick photoshop of this.

On the positive side- I will ahve very good GPS(tom tom or garmin) unit with touchscreen, I will not loose my front/rear parking visual warnings.

Question for Mr. Vborovich- is wiring long enought to moove LCD down?
2009 C5 X7 facelifted to 2013+ extras 3.40EUR/100km =D>
2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged V8 Portfolio 22EUR/100km :cry:
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Mooving C5 LCD sreen down?

Post by vborovic »

That's a bit of an overstatement ... it's not like I do it on a daily basis ... it's just that i feel comfortable and certain enough that I'm aware of what I'm doing and that I have suitable tools at my disposal for whatever I intend to do to the car ... moving along ...

The first approach, I've actually considered something like this (being an IT guy), but then I figured out I wouldn't get anything extra than what's already visible on the regular instrument panel (I don't want to decipher Lexia/DiagBox just to be able to pull out live data from the car). I still haven't completely dropped my idea of putting Android as a 2nd nav/entertainment device in my car, however, the tablet approach as I had in my mind (for the G-sensor) didn't prove easy to do, since the tablet of my choosing (10.1", the suitable hardware) is far bigger than what I can squeeze somewhere but still be able to turn it on manually (not possible to have a solution of a car-power-on stand-by or a wireless remote) ... but, that's another story ... also, at the end of the day, you need to drive the car, so you don't really have extra time to enjoy the extra gadgetry around you ... or you get tired of it ... :D

In my navigation related topic, the radio only -> RNEG navigation in the other car I did, works up to this day, without issues, the BT phone connection also works (the microphone was added successfully). I have no doubts you could easily install even the NG4 (3D Navidrive, dual-DIN unit), or the RT6 (eMYWay), or any other older unit (I'd bet also the latest one, SMEG something, that is being supplied with the really newest C5's) ... IF you can get a hold of all the required wiring (usually the video cables are problematic if you can't get them from the same seller who dismantled/stripped the car). My RNEG -> RT6 conversion also works, although I can't fully telecode (50% is blocked) it for a reason still unknown (error F303:: Protected telecoding). As an end-user, anything goes, and I've been contacted by quite a number of people who also successful converted initially non-nav cars to some-nav cars (PSA units).

As for the final part, it should be possible to move the small screen's cables low (the total length will be suitable), since the screen will actually be closer to the radio, BUT, you'll need to cut out the connector wires from the whole cable loom (that isolation rubber/fabric that envelops the genuine wiring), since the starting point is that you actually have a very short portion of the "main" cable (the one that connects a lot of other things behind the dash from one side of the car to the other), that is available to be connected to the small screen on top (if I recall correctly, the hazard lights switch cable is also preventing extra movement to it). The cutting out (actually, just releasing the target wires from the complete loom) is simple, but the access to it is not (unless you dismantle the whole center console - both air con & radio must come out) ... after you get the small screen's cable to be as free as possible, you can position the screen wherever you want ... or, you could introduce new wires to the existing cable, cut out the small screen's connector with some spare wire, and insert the extra length from the cut wires to the new location, where you'll solder/connect the screen's connector to the mid-wires (from memory, 5 of them) ... whatever you find more plausible ...
vborovicfan

Post by vborovicfan »

Thanks for quick and prompt answer(as always Yours answers comes from practical side- I have discused this with my friend but it nothing like to talk with man who really dismantled his dashboard for xx time)

in case nr2 It seems that I will need to buy some diagnostic tool to lock new equipment (my previuos car was made by Ferrari :-) and from the first months I purchuased dealer diagnostic sofware as I need to work quite much with it electronic.. I doubt lexia/diagbox will work with ELM327 interface?)

so to conclude case nr2-
1)All C5 have same wiring from factory and simple mp3 cd player (rt4?) can be swaped with nav unit (rt6) or newer unit, where SD card is used for maps/playing and also even for 2 DIN newest unit? after fitting those are needed to accept with car body computer(need to have security number,like in my previuos car?) whats the major diferencies with those units? or any of them is fine with navigation?

2)What exact things I need?- I know that new plastic panel, new LCD, unit itself- , but also what exact wiring, antenas,etc? if I need to dismantle all car interior to lead some new wire GPS antena wires to back of car its no go for me.. I cant swear bu I think I do not have any usb box neither in ar rest neither in passenger side box..

BTW if I will get in my car.. have You finally solved DRL problem- c5 automatic ambient light turns off way too early- even in a bit cloud daytime i got swith from DRL to usual ( and all displays inside dimms quite much -not being readable to be true) is there any option in Lexia softwae to change this behavuor or maybe some resistor in series/paralel to "cheat" ambient light sensor?..
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

For the PSA cars, the only bomb-proof solution for successfully changing the software parameters on different car's computers is by using the dedicated PSA Evolution tool ... can't say about exact prices, but they're usually in the 100 GBP range ... the tool looks like this (some other connectors might be provided, but the picture shows the minimum what you need) ... and you use either LExia or DiagBox (newer generation software) with the PSA tool:

The usual radio/mp3 unit in these cars is either RD4 or RD45 (small hardware differences, the latter should have BT connectivity). Like I've said, you can put whatever else compatible unit inside, if you have all necessary wiring (this was explained in detail in my navigation topic for the two provided nav units) ... in case of the RTx devices, it would be possible to change their VIN code ID to match your car without the diag software (a small piece of software called MiraScripts does this without issues - in case you don't match the VIN code, the unit will work in the car, but you'll get a warning beep every 10 secs or so) ... but if you'd like to enable the instrument panel navigation page, you can't do that without PSA XS ... so, either you get the tool yourself, or go to the dealer or other garage that can do the programming for you.

The nav units that can be installed are (in no particular order, rough descriptions):

RT3 - not actually sure about this one, but it might be possible
RT4 - compared to the RT3, it has a higher resolution screen, on board HDD, 3D maps and radar warnings
RT5 - similar to RT4, but has BT phone connectivity
RT6 - BT phone + music streaming, no HDD for music, maps are copied via USB to the internal storage, like on the previous units
NG4 - 3D Navidrive, DVD movies player (can't be used during driving)
RNEG - similar to the RT6 (the interface is different), no BT music streaming, maps are put on the SD card and inserted in the device
SMEG/SMEG+? (the latest touch screen variant, the type which is provided with C4 Picassos etc)

The GPS antenna can be installed behind the dash, you'll get good reception. The USB cable and socket to the central handrest are an easy job. The rest of the cables, depends on which exact unit you'll go for. Consult my navigation topic once again, it is explained there.

I've never managed to find any photo sensitivity option in the diagnostics (I believe I've seen almost all of the available options in it), so it is up to the basic electronics of the sensor itself ... the last couple of days the DRLs on my car are on even when it is foggy and you'd expect to get dipped beams, while on some other cars (different manufacturers) they're not, so go figure ... one "funny" thing I've figured out is, if you're driving on auto lights, with the dipped beam on and front fog lights, if the auto function will switch to the DRls, the fog lamps will remain on ... wouldn't figure it out if I hadn't noticed something "not-logical" on the instrument panel icons (sidelamps + fog, without the dipped beam) ...
vborovicfan

Post by vborovicfan »

Thanks again for help, it seems there is no-go with nav units from ebay and other sources, and the only option is full set with wiring.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I wouldn't write off ebay, I've purchased mine from a guy that lives in Poland (very helpful person, we've exchanged maybe 40 emails prior and after the purchase regarding my RT6) ... in the case of RT6, there are two variants, ones that don't have the single-DIN look (like your radio for instance), but that are an integrated part of the central column (Peugeot 508, Citroen DS5) ... you must get the first one for the C5:

This unit is fine for the C5:

This one isn't:

If you don't wire everything as per the diagrams, you probably won't have a working navigation unit (no screen image, since 2 cables are required for it). A quick search gave me these 2 results:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Gen ... SwfZ1WaDEA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNEG2-RT6-Peu ... SwBLlVOADB
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Fourth option would be Android Tablet (Nexus 7" for example). I would think that's much easier than CarPC.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Does this help anyone ??
http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu_10. ... ard_idx=14

I do not know (and will never know) if it does :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I know I was looking at some similar controllers some time ago, that might take steering wheel buttons for some other "buttons" or combinations of keys on some kind of device ... even with the X7's steering wheel, you'd have trouble navigating around on a Windows based platform ... Android might get a passing grade, but since most of the apps are touch based (menus are scroll based), hard to imagine you could safely operate it while driving
vborovicfan

Post by vborovicfan »

I found chinnese GPS unit specialy for c5, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVD-GPS-pla ... W~&vxp=mtr

and they claim for steering whhel button control(not sure about parking sesnosrs beep and visual on lcd)
but only now I realised that there are two diferent dashboard inlets -right side have diferent lines than mine. i google and indded saw genue c5 with that lines http://bestnewcar2016.com/wp-content/up ... rer-17.jpg
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The bigger size dash plastic I believe is for the chinese C5 X7 only ... you can also see the difference on the 2nd image in front of the gearbox stick, 2 closed compartments, and the central column is slightly redesigned ... I think you could find the right "C5 specific" sat nav from the chinese on aliexpress.com ... however, it is nothing like the genuine units, and support on it is hard to get from the sellers ... the usual OS is Widows 6.0 over which they put a custom screen (much like what HTC, Samsung and others do to Android) ... maps can be anything, from iGo, to TomTom to Navigon, you won't know until you get the actual item ...
vborovicfan

Post by vborovicfan »

OK working on that.. will keep updated.. besides, I see you working on c5 acessories esthetic.
I always had coupes, and this is my first 4 doors sedan. I wonder why peugeot had coupe version of 407 but citroen didnt. I played a bit with back lamps and doors with paint :)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Citroen did have something like this in mind at one point - the Airscape ...

vborovicfan

Post by vborovicfan »

Well seems my video of mooving lcd screen down was not only for me at the end its clear view of lcd moved down..

I wonder how he gets front/rear parking beeps when speakers connected with media unit..
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

It's puzzling, kind of like a parallel installation of multiple units (or a heavily modified single RNEG unit by the button layout). When he presses the Menu button on the wheel (that's @ 1:06), you can clearly see that the bottom orange screen also gets to the main menu (of a different device, like you'd get from a RD4 radio) ... the same is with the parking sensors, the lower orange screen shows the car silhouette @ 2:57 ... which is stupid and redundant IMO, or clearly shows the lack of such integration, that that kind of information can't be displayed on the bigger screen ... but, that's the difference between genuine and aftermarket units ... everything else is nice and smooth (DVD, audio player, phone), at least from the looks of it