Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

First entry into a whatsthisthen? from Spain Its a Pegaso Z-102. Quite rare but a mainstream vehicle producer from Spain which I hadn't come across before. What preceded Pegaso, Hispano-Suiza no less, and after.....just merged into Iveco. Much more to Spain than Ford Fiestas and SEAT's when you delve a bit.

A fringe benefit of a whatsthisthen is learning about things you wouldn't normally come across, even know the Spanish for good luck which was the subtle clue at the start of this one.....

Plenty of pictures at this site, Silodrome

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Found some more pics of the Pegaso 102-Berlinetta Touring in red, in white, and this (to my taste) totally gorgeous example in light blue.

and I like the lines and the quirky design features,

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Pegaso also made an interesting-looking Race-Transporter called the "Bacalao" (the codfish). Not left-hand drive, not right-hand drive but centre-drive, and very nearly a horizontal wheel :)

It appears only to survive now in model form, cannot find a single colour picture of the real thing.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Interesting looking thing. Only centre drive vehicle I've encountered in person from behind the wheel is an Alvis Stalwart...and that was a hoot.

Driving from the middle felt a little odd, but to be honest the grin that I had on my face due to the fact that I was driving what was essentially a life size Tonka toy far outweighed any initial unease!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Spotted this on "Chasing Classic Cars"
Designed by Pininfarina and build by Marshall Bodywork, Cambridge. There supposed to be build a total of 21 units, first a series of six, then a batch of 15. First series were slitghly different from the second, mostly in the front and side mouldings. They were shorter and rounder. A few were used by The Competition Dept. as race transporter and support vehicles.
Another "bus" with Tail fins

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

They cut those off an Austin Farina !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:They cut those off an Austin Farina !
I thought I recognised those rear lights too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

More interesting rears......so who was famous for the dorsal fin?

Regards Neil

By no means just a one off even maade it to Somerset :!:

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Image :mrgreen:

I do recall these -

And these -

but proper buses - used mainly as school buses as far as I remember.
All the buses where I lived came from Plaxtons, in Scarborough.

The icecream vans had fins like that on them too - at least the Mr Whippy ones - Trillo's were still using an horse-drawn one :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Giles (the cartoonist) made his own caravan, and a modification was a large dorsal fin which was actually a 50 gallon water tank. The only major problem he had initially with the caravan was that the first time he took it out, the wheels collapsed under the weight. He managed to get a set of lorry wheels that fitted, and that sorted out that problem. If you scroll down the link you will see several photos of this caravan;

https://www.cartoons.ac.uk/collections/CG/5/4/4/6
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 06 Dec 2015, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Well, Giles (the cartoonist) made his own caravan, and a modification was a large dorsal fin which was actually a 50 gallon water tank.
Gosh! I hope he never tried to tow it with that fin full of water :twisted: The C of G would have been so high it would have been dangerous...

These days that caravan would be too big to tow.. I remember as a kid when we had our big static (with tiny wheels) by the seaside the older 'van next to it was equally as big but was actually a tourer with full size wheels and lighting. By then it was illegal to tow and had been static for many years...

I seem to remember it was a Pemberton but finding a picture of it has proved elusive... Neil, you're good at such things :wink: :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: These days that caravan would be too big to tow.. I remember as a kid when we had our big static (with tiny wheels) by the seaside the older 'van next to it was equally as big but was actually a tourer with full size wheels and lighting. By then it was illegal to tow and had been static for many years...

I seem to remember it was a Pemberton but finding a picture of it has proved elusive... Neil, you're good at such things :wink: :-D
Here's another couple of Somerset rear ends to ponder while I have a little search.

Regards Neil

PS I have an electric window problem on my Flood thread, any ideas welcome over there...
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Am I getting warm...

Regards Neil

This is well and truly static but is a Pemberton, and does have a bay window

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Dec 2015, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you take a look, that dorsal tank wasn't very tall, and ran a good length of the caravan. The Land Rover also wasn't the quickest car on the road, but it got them there. He was famous for his tours (almost as famous has he was for his cartoons).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Am I getting warm...
You are Neil, That was the later version without the touring bits but the same size. The earlier one had a foreward sloping flat front (like a Ford Anglia in reverse) and a pair of massive wheels..

Can you imagine trying to tow a caravan that big?

Those in the picture were as common as muck in the early 70s and much nicer looking than the 'Lego brick' static caravans of today...

I enjoyed the Somerset coaches.. I remember those...
Jim