Glow plugs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Glow plugs

Post by np »

Sods law.Glowplugs need doing again.Starts up ok,but runs worse than a tractor for 10 secs or so.Do the glowplugs twice & it starts & runs smooth.I only did then 2 yrs ago,surely they should last longer than this?
Have read alot about Halfords own on the forum,i will put Beru in this time.
If only the fuel pump wasn`t there[}:)][:(!][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

D'you know Neil, im sure if you replaced all but the plug under the pump it would start fine.
Before i got the ZX it had only 2 functional glow plugs - and still stsrted and ran perfectly (it now has 3 functional glow plugs and still starts and runs well).
Im sure I will be lambasted for doing only half a job (or 3/4 of a job) but lazy is my middle name!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

When i done them before,it took about an half an hour or so to do the 3 easy ones,then about 2 hrs & lots of cuts on my hands to do the fuel pump one.I will do all of them,as i recon i could have them done in an hour or so.Once you`ve slaved away at them the first time,its quite easy the next.
Just read on the Citroen forum that they can last uptp 60k odd miles.Depends on how you do those miles though i spose.Stop start or long distance.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Anybody got any thoughts on the best plugs out there? I've just put a set of NGK in to the 504, after a dodgy mixture of Lucas and Bosch were taken out. Always found their spark plugs perfect.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

There's no question about it! Beru every time. Having said that, about a year ago when I was in the Calais Auchon hypermarket, they were selling off all their glowplug sets for 1Euro a set. I couldn't resist buying a set for all three cars. Time will tell!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, and used Beru- the old ones I took out had been in for over 120,000 miles according to the service records, and were, guess what...yes...Beru!!!!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

np if you are saying it is the Halfords own brand that have only lasted 2yrs then that is pretty good for those, for some reason thet do seem to suffer a short life.
Well I'll grumble at you Marty for not replacing all the failed plugs! I accept what you say but in my experience from Nov to March a car with one plug gone chugs a bit for a few seconds and one with two plugs gone runs like a real pig for a bit longer.
As well as a starting performance that makes the car look like a bit of a dog I worry about the unequal load on the crank with a "misfire" at startup.
I see Citroen are doing a winter offer at the moment with OE glowplugs (to trade) at £4.47 +vat.
David
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

if only Carlsberg made glowplugs :-)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I shall leave them for now as the colder weather is here.Will do them if it gets to bad.Will stick some Beru in this time.