Insurance time again

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Insurance time again

Post by qprdude »

Can't quite accept the quote yet as it's only applicable within 30 days of renewal and I have 41 days left on the old policy. I'll try again in a couple of weeks.
Last year I paid £221 for Comprehensive insurance with Protected NCB and Legal cover.

This year, I have a quote for the same cover for £210.

I also have a quote for £225, to include Legal cover, Breakdown cover including home-start, Courtesy car, Protected NCB and EU cover.

Last year was SAGA but the renewal quote won't arrive until December 8th, by which time the £225 deal with "One Call" might not be available.

Other Insurers are quoting an extra almost £90!!!! for breakdown cover with home-start, although the AA offer it for around £50.

This is my first foray into research this year, but the "One Call" quote seems reasonable compared to last year.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Insurance time again

Post by Peter.N. »

Go on to 'Confused.com' or a similar site and you should find the lowest possible quote, if yours is cheaper take it.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Rick - I pay about the same £220-£250 with protected NCB, but I always run mine through Compare the Meerkats each year (I won't use the Go Compare site as the ads really annoy me to the point of switching channels), as I find it easier to filter out all the gimmicks and crap that I don't want and just leave the things I do want covered. I do look at breakdown cover both as an add-on and separately as with this the devil really is in the detail. Looking at what the breakdown gives you can be deceiving i.e. free for the first 30 mins of attempted repair then some charge by the hour after that! I was with the AA for breakdown for 25+ years but got fed up of ringing each year to get the quotes lopped in half, so left them after they got a bit tight last year. I find it amazing that some companies you have your insurance with will send you a renewal that is way over the price for the same policy and same company when re-quoting using a comparison site. So I always re-quote each year now and as they have all my details and it saves having to fill in all your info again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Been with Elephant for 10 years (? or thereabouts). No one else can get near the cover level at the price, and the renewal has always been close to last years. Maybe that's an age thing, apparently you're sensible in your 40s....! 307 which is FC/Protected NCB/legal (probably)/business use/15k a year is about £180 - C4 is a bit more, but <£250.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Seems similar - glad to know it's about right across the board. Did I mention I had 3 points :evil: but class 1 business and legal also.

Marc
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Had a phone call from Admiral this morning, even though I ticked the "no contact" box. :? ,com
SWIMBO answered and apparently their quote was £180 (without legal assistance or breakdown cover), but she said they could probably do it cheaper. ( Is there any point in putting a quotation on line, then phoning up to say it wasn't their lowest effort).
Oh well, I suppose I will be inundated with offers from now till Xmas.

I too am getting fed up with the annual AA quote. Luckily, I have free phone calls (their number isn't a free-fone one)
Started at £67 last year for basic silver membership. Finally agreed on £34. Called them last month to upgrade from single car, to any car that I am travelling in, Quoted £3 until the end of my year in June '16 . (needed it when I drove my sons BMW up to Aberdeen for him and for 3 quid I'm covered in the wife's car too) :-D
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have paid a fortune to the AA, been with them since 1958, get all sorts of freebes now but still expensive.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My AA renewals started rising each year but was around the £60-68 mark for relay and home start etc., then over the last 5 years started going up to £90 then finally £130! Never used them in the last 10 years. When I called up and told them to swing for it, they always dropped it back to the £70 ish mark. I said, if you can do it for that price, stop writing to me every year for renewal quoting ridiculous figures, wasting my time, as I only call you back to cancel and you put it back to last years' price! Then one year they wouldn't drop it back enough so I left them - their hard luck. They should of seen how little I use the service and now they've lost that revenue. Tough.

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

The urge to try a few comparison sites again is upon me.
8-[
Last edited by qprdude on 17 Nov 2015, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Used the AA once on the M5 . Had a quick look at my Rover 75 and decided that I was right in suggesting the fuel pump. Towed me to a garage and they changed the pump under warranty
Next time was for a starting problem with the C5, so over 10 years or so, I've called them out twice.
I think for many, it's the peace of mind that you won't get stuck on the motorways or in dark country lanes at night that makes it worthwhile, rather than the amount of times you actually use them. Just another insurance policy.
I'm a bit of a wally though, as I have two memberships. One of my own, and one through my warranty!. I thought my warranty roadside assistance was going to run out this July, so I took out my AA cover for another year from June. Then I was offered a free one year extension which lasts until July next year. No, I'm not mad, the AA cover came free with my AA car insurance and the other with the warranty.
When the first one (my own) runs out in June, I probably won't renew as the other one runs until July 23rd. After that, I'll have a think about it, as I might be looking for a warranty cover from somewhere. I've been pretty lucky with them over the years, especially the last 10 years with the Rover fuel pump, Saab springs, then suspension and steering stuff on the C5.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I had them out a few weeks ago, went to visit some friends in Cornwall and left my lights on parked at the bottom of a steep slope. Garage came out within half an hour and tried unsuccessfully to sell me a new battery but got me going.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They've really got some front. They're all after our money!

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote:They've really got some front. They're all after our money!
Why are you so surprised Marc? It's normal!

Sadly :twisted: :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Seems I've hit that magic age for insurance to be fun :^o

2 vastly different cars almost identical prices Xantia HDi or Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo both @ £200 mark (double excess on the Fiat)

Looks like I'm due a mid life crisis 8-[
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

£170 for the ACTIVA v6 via Brooklands, limited miles (10k), breakdown (5.miles+), agreed value, legal, 4 weeks EU, MUST be garaged at home
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting