A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've just been all the way through this thread, some interesting stuff in there most of which I've had my spanners on at some time, Marinas and Allegros weren't really as bad as some think, they did the job they were meant for pretty well.

For a long time I ran the big BL stuff, A99s A110s in Austin and Wolseley models. I had an Austin A99 written off by a white van man who then ran away before the cop arrived. My favourite in the range was the Austin 3 Litre, a very comfortable car with good handling, Alexander self levelling suspension and The Austin C series engine as fitted to the MGC, despite weighing in at near 2 tonnes it would give a Zodiac a run for its money.

I asked my son in law to pick up a Maxi from the other side of the country, asked him what he thought of the fifth gear, he said he didn't know it had one and had driven it 150 miles never getting out of 4th.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: I asked my son in law to pick up a Maxi from the other side of the country, asked him what he thought of the fifth gear, he said he didn't know it had one and had driven it 150 miles never getting out of 4th.
Even if he'd have known he might not have been able to find it!!!

I had the same problem when I ran a V6 Xantia (4 speed auto) as my daily driver.. On occasion when I drove the Activa I used to forget it had a fifth gear... So used to the sound of only four gears I guess...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Or remember your in a manual box car and not your normal Auto just as you slow to a stop .......amazing how the endless flow of gossip/drivel from my passenger can send me to a strange far away place.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, I often remembered the Activa had a clutch only when the juddering became too severe to ignore when I drove mostly autos...

:roll: :twisted: :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

where is the OFF Button on an elderly mother ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:where is the OFF Button on an elderly mother ?
They don't have one Alasdair... No woman does. It is not age-related... :twisted:
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The comments about the Morris 1000 and Austin A35 surprise me, the A30/35 was a terribly cramped car, claustrophobic and gave you a blinding headache if you drove it more that about thirty miles.

In our showroom in Birmingham we had new A35s sitting around for months waiting for a buyer at the same time as there was a twelve week waiting list for the Minor1000s
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had a couple of Morris minor vans that I used for work, I fitted some nice comfortable seats and side windows, also some sound insulation, I loved them - then. Recently a friend of mine who was restoring a saloon asked me to take it for an MOT for him, it was dreadful, noisy, slow and uncomfortable - how cars have changed!

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:how cars have changed!
And our expectations of them too Peter!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Very true Jim, although I still don't think they have bettered the Citroen CX and that came out in the '70s, I ran them for 10 years or more, never driven another car like it.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote:Very true Jim, although I still don't think they have bettered the Citroen CX and that came out in the '70s, I ran them for 10 years or more, never driven another car like it.

Peter
Not sure how this one would handle.

I do like the "hub caps" and the colour of this one

and the blue interior of this one

and there's no need to stick to a just a one tone, or two-tone

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Very true Jim, although I still don't think they have bettered the Citroen CX and that came out in the '70s, I ran them for 10 years or more, never driven another car like it.
Driving my Activa over a fair distance last evening Peter, I had exactly the same thoughts precisely...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I like Neil's pictures except you wouldn't get that recovery truck round the corners here. My CX safari was one of those with a porous block which necessitated replacing the head gasket every 15,000 miles, I did over 160k in it, probably 10 gaskets and two heads, just gives you an idea of how much I liked it, mind you changing the gasket was a doddle compared to modern cars.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wind /Road noise.....that is what has improved over the last 10 years.

You should of had your block/head resin/Vac dipped....common fix for old Aston Martin V8 blocks.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:Wind /Road noise.....that is what has improved over the last 10 years.
So true but I think that's not a good point.
I drive an S60 regularly and you don't get any sensation of driving a bit fast until about 120mph when you've probably lost your license anyway.