Automatic Choice?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Automatic Choice?

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote:All of the Borg Warners up to and including the Model 35 require 'Type F' (F for Ford) fluid, which is a bit less slippery than Dextron, If you put Dextron into a BW transmission, and drive it gently, it feels like an improvement, because the up-shifts are all much smoother, but if you put your foot down, the bands start slipping, and eventually they are burned out.
A good demonstration of why using the specified ATF only is so important!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

ZF were one of the pioneers of Automatic Transmission and still going strong today offer

Oil Change kits for many of their boxesl

They also consider 80,000 miles as being the appropriate "oil change" time. ( correction about 50,000 to 75,000 miles read the 80,000 as miles when its KM)
from the horses mouth

How often should an oil change be carried out on a ZF automatic transmission?

Regular maintenance intervals will substantially increase the automatic transmission's service life. ZF recommends a regular oil change at between 80 000 and 120 000 km or after 8 years depending upon the stress.
Nice to know some manufacturers dont believe in the "sealed for life" philosophy :!:

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Nov 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Ah, but they only do oil change kits for 5 and 6 speed transmissions, and not for any PSA vehicles, so we are safe not to change the oil.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ZF's recommendation for the HP20 is 'sealed for life'. Their definition of 'life' being 100,000 miles or 10 years, whichever came first.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

With plenty of rain in the forecast, from personal experience it ain't a good idea to plough through standing water if you have an automatic gearbox. You may get away with it, but even with the faintest of possibilities that the flood water willl make its way into the box through the vent tube, its not worth the risk.

Maybe this Bentley has a one-way valve fitted, or a breather tube extension.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear :twisted:
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very, I would think