Insurance For Younger Drivers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Insurance For Younger Drivers

Post by CitroJim »

My daughters' insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month. Until now they've bern on my multicar policy but now I want to put them on their own..

I need some recommendations as to good firms for them to try.

Robyn is 23, Sian is 20, both been driving since 17 and both have clean licences...

I'm leaving multicar policies as I only have the C1 to insure now as the Activa is on its own classic policy...

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Insurance For Younger Drivers

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Quote Me Happy on the C5 estate was under £400 (fully comp), but as I am over 50 I don't know if this helps.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks James, we can see if they will make the girls happy! If they were good for you then who knows...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would maybe wait until Sian is 21 before you do that switch, it makes quite a difference I understand.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Alasdair... Maybe that might be for the best..
Jim

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Use the 2 big comparison websites and see what they turn up, is the quickest way of seeing what's out there and saving the biggest wodge.

You could then spend a lot more time potentially saving a bit more by ringing round places that aren't on them, but it's very very much the law of diminishing returns...

Just remember to check the details and small print in the policies before choosing one to take up.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I would do the big comparison sites also. And wait until Sian is 21. It made a huge difference to Shaun. He was nearly £800 for his 107 last year and was going to be just over £300 this year. He was less to insure his fabia VRS with mods than he was for the 107 last year!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Just when you're using the big comparison sites to get initial quotes for the love of all that is holy, use a bogus or disposable email address and mobile number...then go to the respective insurer directly with real details.

Worst mistake I ever made with insurance was giving GoCompare my details a few years ago, I still get utterly bombarded with rubbish both by phone and email every year when my insurance starts to get close to renewal from dozens of insurers (irrespective of whether they were actually originally offering me quotes!).
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zel, thanks for the warning about the comparison sites...

Can you not opt out of them sending you piles of crap as nothing in the world annoys me more than that! I get enough as it is :evil:

If not then they can go and swivel...
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have found that the UK comparison sites usually honour the "don't send me stuff" checkbox on the form. The French sites however send stuff regardless, for years.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good to know Mike.

I find some ebay sellers are bad for sending junk regardless of expressed wish.

To fully guard against it I'll set up a disposable email address and use one of my reserve mobile numbers...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use 'confused.com' every year and end up changing companies most years although I have been with Rias for two years as their quote wasn't much dearer than last year. Mine has started going up now as I am past 75 but I am still only paying about £150 for fully comp on my C5 estate. I would think it would certainly be worth putting your details in and looking at.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Remind me, what are the main comparison sites?

I know them only from vague recollections of adverts featuring some furry toys and a yank in a big 'ute, some bloody irritating opera singer and a prat dancing around half-naked following some deal he's made...

All are so downright idiotically inane and condescending they put me right off using them let alone making a mental note of who they actually are...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I just use Confused.com and use my real details and never have bother with spam from it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good to know Davie [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] which irritating advert goes with that one then? [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
Jim