A VW or BMW in my future?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: A VW or BMW in my future?

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:We took the same BMW for another drive today. I liked it more, Louise thought that rear visibility was a problem for parking, but it is better than many cars, and has parking sensors. I noticed a couple of creaks from the roof when going over bumps, but proably just due to dry and dusty rubber seals.
Some BMW Gummi Pflege will sort those squeaks out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Vanos, valvetronic, petrol engines with vacuum pumps, seat occupancy sensors, handbrake shoes and drums, timing chains at the wrong end of the engine. What wonderful German engineering while it works.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

To bring this to closure...

We drove the BMW 325i yet again, I liked it even more, but Louise liked it even less (too masculine??? and not a 308 CC), so it got ruled out.

As an aside, I discovered why I think the 325i Coupe Cabriolet was never sold new in NZ: The CC version was introduced in 2007, with the N53 direct injection engine, which requires low-sulphur fuel, which at that time was only available in Europe. For LHD markets (e.g. USA), they fitted the earlier N52 (indirect injection) engine, but they did not do the retrofit in RHD, so RHD Coupe Cabriolets were only sold into the UK. NZ got low sulphur fuel by 2011, and this particular car was not imported from the UK until 2012, so it would have been OK, but something to be aware of with grey-market cars.

So we were left again with an empty short-list of cars to buy. Then on Friday evening, a Mazda dealership in Nelson listed a white 308 CC THP, so I phoned them on Saturday and put a deposit on it. Yesterday I flew up to pick it up, a 35 minute flight up and 5 and a half hours drive back mostly on scenic twisty mountain forest roads.

I will start another thread on the 308 shortly.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

5 and a half hours drive back mostly on scenic twisty mountain forest roads.
must of been awful in that car.....on those roads.... in that country.....with so little traffic....how did you survive ?

:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looking forward to seeing some pictures Mike and in my opinion, well bought. I like the 308CC a lot having travelled some distance in one. They look good and are a bit different from the ubiquitous Beemer... They have a bit of French flair about them and that's no bad thing....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Stickyfinger wrote:
must of been awful in that car.....on those roads.... in that country.....with so little traffic....how did you survive ?

I did forget to stop and rest, and in retrospect I missed a number of opportunities to photograph the car in stunning scenery.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:

I did forget to stop and rest, and in retrospect I missed a number of opportunities to photograph the car in stunning scenery.
Lovely! Jealous :mrgreen:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...