transverse 3hp-22 transmission anyone familiar!???

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: transverse 3hp-22 transmission anyone familiar!???

Post by CitroJim »

xantia sx auto wrote: the gearbox place put dexron 6 in it, to me that does not seem right. too thin?
No, definitely not...

An autobox of that age will want Dexron II mineral oil and will likely not like anything newer if the 4HP18 in the XM is anything to go by... Dex6 will likely be synthetic and whilst supposedly backwardly compatible that is open to debate..

As a general rule an autobox should only ever use the ATF it was originally specified to use.

Genuine Dexron II is still available and quite cheap. Don't be fobbed off with what the gearbox place wants to flog you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

.....This confirms Jim's advice.

Direct from ZF the manufacturer of your gearbox.

The link takes you to a PDF list of approved lubricants for their products.

http://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lu ... -ML_11.pdf

The full approved list appears on page 6 and 7.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

thanks neil, I couldn't work anything out from the pics! but the other bit makes sense, my fluid is a lovely colour but I just don't think dexron 6 is right for it, that's what I think the gearbox place has put in, but I can't work out if they mean 6 as in capacity or 6 as in oil type, they will not answer my emails or get back to me about it, they were really awful to the last owners,
I can see a few different plugs etc but not sure if I can see 2 drains, and I think the oil is in the final drive bit as well, or would that be seperate gearbox oil? I've done quite a few autos and had a lot of 4hp-20 boxes which often get slated but they have some good points!
now out of interest, would anyone know what 4 speed auto might fit without too many problems if i ever wanted to do that?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You might find http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... -in-detail interesting, the 4hp22 is the later version of the 3hp22 with overdrive added.

I doubt you will find another AT to fit your vehicle, maybe the 4hp18 if it has a removable bell housing?