transverse 3hp-22 transmission anyone familiar!???

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia sx auto
My Cars:

transverse 3hp-22 transmission anyone familiar!???

Post by xantia sx auto »

Hi Guys, I have a tough issue and its a job to know where to even post the topic!
I have just purchased a talbot camper with the pug 2.5 turbo diesel engine and an auto gearbox,,, yes auto!!! I have never ever seen another
The thing is the gearbox was used in bmw's and rear wheel drive pug 504 cars, but this can is a front wheel drive!! it is a 3 speed 3hp-22, its impossible to find any info or even pics on google of a transverse 3hp-22, the only car I have found so far that I think had this box in was a citroen cx ??
I would really like to find some information on the transverse version as I would like to know fluid capacity etc, the gearbox was rebuilt before I got the van but the owners said it leaked ever since! and the gearbox company got arsy with them when they took it back 4 times!
anyway It definately does not feel right to me, it seems ok when put in d, but when in reverse the engine seems to idle like it's being worked harder than d, and you have to rev a bit to get the van to move, is this normal for a 3hp-22 i've never had one!!
is there a method of checking the fluid? it has a dipstick but there is always a procedure! I actually prefer the 4hp20 method, just let it run and pump fluid into the level plug! does anyone know if the 3hp-22 has a level plug to get the level spot on? or the drain and refil capacity and procedure?
I need as much help as possible, the gearbox company wont answer me, Dont use express gearbox co in portsmouth they are awful
NewcastleFalcon

Re: transverse 3hp-22 transmission anyone familiar!???

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You could try this for a start there's a pdf manual to download

Its made by ZF and searching ZF 3hp-22 produces quite a number of results which may be useful. Not specifically in transverse form

Good luck

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

yes, but the transverse one is very different!! I need to find someone who knows all about them if I can and tell me what I need to know, I have spent days on google and there is not alot that's any use to me, the rwd one is totally different with regards to fluid level, sump plug etc, the one I have is on its side with the sump facing the rad!
cheers
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

yes downloaded the pdf but its nothing like the same,, why they have the same model number for fwd and rwd is beyond me, they are totally different!!!
NewcastleFalcon

You've probably exhausted google, but maybe the odd link may chase down the info you need.

There's a firm in Blandford Forum, who get a mention for offering autobox options on Peugeot/Talbot camper vans. Its probably a conversion job/engine gearbox transplant.

Delfin Designs.......who knows may have done the original conversion.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Also Automatic Choice in Radstock may be able to help. Look for them on the web www.automaticchoice.co.uk
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

There are about 5 pages of diagrams from this CX repair manual on the ZF 3HP-22 gearbox (293-297)

http://www.cxgti.com/resources/CX%20Manual%20S2.pdf

I wonder if there is anything in the Haynes Manual for the CX, There is usually an Automatic Gearbox chapter. May beworth a look.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

xantia sx auto wrote:yes, but the transverse one is very different!!
The transverse box can't be much different internally, the same spare parts listing covers both versions.
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

xantia_v6 wrote:
The transverse box can't be much different internally, the same spare parts listing covers both versions.
the main part isnt where the gearchanges happen, but the rest is totally different!! it looks like its from another planet to look at!
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

xantia_v6 wrote:
thanks Neil I shall have a read when i get home!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

3spd slush boxes are quite notorious for having to give a bit of revs to reverse. Especially going up a driveway.
My 4sp Jatco old school box was as slushy as the snow in June :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

what do you mean by slush box!!??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia sx auto wrote:what do you mean by slush box!!??
A term used with a lot of older automatic 'boxes to describe how the connection between engine and wheels feels as if it has a big lump of blancmange or treacle somewhere in the way... Or even wet slush.... :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

oh ok! so do you have experience with the transverse 3hp22? any idea how to check fluid?
the gearbox place put dexron 6 in it, to me that does not seem right. too thin?
NewcastleFalcon

If the Citroen CX has exactly the same transverse 3HP-22 box as yours, then you may start to glean the info from that angle.

The pages in the CX manual specific to that gearbox are in diagram form, but do show the basics of oil level checking etc.

The specified oil in the manual is be TOTAL Dex(t)ron 20-356, probably well superceded now.

Bearing in mind this is a google translate of a Norwegian site on the CX, this procedure when compared to the diagrams makes sense
AUTOMATIC-Oil Check

The car must be parked on a level surface .
The engine must be idling (800 rev / min) , hand brakes must be on and gear lever must be in position P.
Pull the dipstick out and wipe it with a paper.
Put it gently back and wait.
Pull it up again and read the oil level . It should be between the two measuring lines with cold engine. With hot engine , the level being a little over the top emphasized .
Is it too little fill with a little , is it too much tap out a little.
AUTOMATIC-Oil Change

With hot engine ; drain the oil ( approximately 2.5 liters ) .
Remove swarf from bottom plugs , clean and place them back with new copper top slices.
Wait until the engine is cold, start and let it run at idle speed (800 rev / min) . Hand brakes must be on and gear lever must be in position P.
Using a funnel, pour 2 liters of new oil.
Check the level : it should be between the two measuring lines .

Other info- there may be 2 bunnpluggers which I presume to be drain plugs, torque 40nm, overall capacity of gearbox etc 6.5litres but looks like a simple change extracts only about 2.5 litres via the bunnpluggers!

Of course if its black and smells burnt its not good news for the box, and short of a rebuild the only semi-effective remedy for auto box problems is fresh fluid of the correct specification.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey