DVLA Direct Debit - A Cautionary Tale

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

DVLA Direct Debit - A Cautionary Tale

Post by DickieG »

This will be of interest to anyone paying for RFL with DVLA using direct debit, I recently sold a car on which I had been paying for RFL via direct debit, thinking that as long as I had informed DVLA that I was no longer the keeper that would automatically cancel the direct debit, especially as the very next day the car was shown as untaxed, wrong as this month they have continued to take payment. Today I phoned the DVLA and had a decent cat with a helpful chap there who stated that they are unable to refund overpayment over the phone or via email, I'll have to write in on paper, great as recent experience with a few friends is that they appear to be experts at losing paper mail.

To avoid similar problems it's essential to cancel your own direct debit to them as soon as you sell the car, this experience leaves me wondering just how much money is being incorrectly taken from bank accounts by the DVLA and not being refunded for various reasons this is the last time I'll be paying for RFL by direct debit.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: DVLA Direct Debit - A Cautionary Tale

Post by Stickyfinger »

I always do....Gas companies can do the same ....ask how I know :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I will add to this, if I may. I part exchanged my Xantia on 30th June, and the DVLA was updated. I got a letter from then advising me of this, and that I should receive the Road Tax refund (after their checks) 4 to 6 weeks later. Well, I didn't, so I chased them up on this. I received the cheque 17th October!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The DVLA are living up to their reputation for bumbling incompetence, on Thursday I received a rather unpleasant email from them stating that I had cancelled the direct debit for a car registered to me and that I must declare SORN blah blah blah etc. The fact that they've sent me acknowledgement that I sold the car a month ago and that I retained the relevant registration and received the certificate of retention three weeks ago appears to be irrelevant to their system's, not impressed but sympathetic to the poor souls having to answer the phones and explain/apologise for the errors to the disgruntled public, how frustrating must it be for them?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Shocking isn't it Richard....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...