I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by daviemck2006 »

Zelandeth wrote:Beat me to it on the GAZ, would have taken me a bit of digging to figure it out though!

One of the best cars I had in the snow (much to my surprise) was my Suzuki Cappuccino. The fact that it weighed nothing I think probably was the key. It was nigh on unstoppable in the snow I found provided you kept the revs down so the turbo kept itself out of the way. Saab also does very well (well, you'd expect that really wouldn't you). Unsurprisingly the most unstoppable things I found were my Lada Niva and Riva. You would expect the Russians to be able to deal with snow, wouldn't you...The only car I've seen where the heater was sufficiently effective that it had melted the grills on the windscreen demisters too.

My 107 I decided was downright dangerous in the snow, or even slight slush. That's speaking as someone who's grown up in northern Scotland so isn't un-used to dealing with the stuff either. I don't think that was any fault of the car, rather the utterly dire low rolling resistance tyres it came out the factory with. I still remember the sheer terror of coming up to a big, busy roundabout one day when there was a tiny bit of slush left on the road, at walking pace and then trying to stop, and the ABS basically deciding that it had other ideas. Plus I had absolutely no idea what was going on under the front tyres as there was just no feedback whatsoever. Luckily, about a day after that it snowed again and I couldn't even get the thing out of the car park, so I didn't have to take my life in my hands again, and the Cappuccino did front-line work until the snow was gone. I've not had to deal with snow in it since the tyres were changed, but I reckon it would be a good deal better now. The originals were "interesting" even in the rain, and the ABS in this car has always seemed rather over-zealous to me. The really annoying thing was that the original "plastic" tyres being such a hard compound lasted for ages!
I absolutely hated the continental eco tyres my 107 had when I bought it. It had 11000 on the clock and just went straight on at junctions or roundabouts. It was much better with 195 / 50 x15 budgets, and much better again with vredestien all seasons in the standard size. Shaun is quite I pressed with Falkens in the standard size on his 107, and only 28 quid a pop delivered, free fitting by his mate who works in a garage.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by CitroJim »

That's worrying, My C1 has those Contis fitted and so far they've seemed OK but then my driving style/skills hardly show up any tyre deficiencies!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Quick score assessment...

bumper haul there, maybe a bit harsh on the old xant :!:

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Very harsh on the Xant :evil:

It looks very tidy too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
Righty-ho, this one's for Zel to identify as I haven't got the faintest idea what it is - but I spotted it this morning outside the hotel in Kiev..... and I'm now safely back at home sipping a cup of tea (extra points for getting my priorities right ? :-D )
and from the whatsthisthen? thread you offered up what must be a Lada Riva, in a sort of green!

Surprisingly it does make the official I-Spy Classic Cars 120 at a standard 15, doubled up to 30 with the end of season offer!

But....wait a minute...The Pic was taken in Chernobyl bus station, presumably on your same trip which produced the GAZ M20 from Kiev.

Thats exotic enough for me to give the Lada a bonus of 70 for a 100 pointer.

Did a bit of google mapping-seems there is a very large lake with Kiev at the bottom end and Chernoybl at the top and ove 100km's between the two.

Did you take the bus?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
and from the whatsthisthen? thread you offered up what must be a Lada Riva, in a sort of green!

Surprisingly it does make the official I-Spy Classic Cars 120 at a standard 15, doubled up to 30 with the end of season offer!

But....wait a minute...The Pic was taken in Chernobyl bus station, presumably on your same trip which produced the GAZ M20 from Kiev.

Thats exotic enough for me to give the Lada a bonus of 70 for a 100 pointer.
I'm surprised <nay> amazed that makes it into the I-Spy book :shock: A nice 100 points are well received though :)
NewcastleFalcon wrote: Did a bit of google mapping-seems there is a very large lake with Kiev at the bottom end and Chernoybl at the top and ove 100km's between the two.

Did you take the bus?

regards Neil
TAKE THE BUS ???????? Do you think I'm mad ?????? :rofl2: The taxi trip from the airport to the city centre was nearly enough to cure me of my atheism :shock: We had a driver/guide who picked us up from the city and took us up there for the two day trip - he had borrowed the car from a friend so his driving style was merely mildly upsetting as opposed down right dangerous like most of the others out there. It would seem that the only thing that matters when driving over there is that if you get to your destination without technically hitting anyone/thing, then it's been a roaring success :shock:
We did spot an old Merc being casually driven towards the city centre sans two front wings :lol:

......And no - no part of me is glowing blue and my hair hasn't fallen out.... yet !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

That's the immediate predecessor to the Lada Riva, which made far more use of the traditional Fiat 124 fittings. Hard to say which model beyond Vaz 210x as they all looked essentially identical.

Is it truly wrong that I would really love a Lada Riva 1500 Estate to be part of my fleet?
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: Is it truly wrong that I would really love a Lada Riva 1500 Estate to be part of my fleet?
No, not at all Zel, they have a character and charm all of their own as well as being hugely practical...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Probably not the exact models you would desire, but I'm sure thes combos would turn a few heads :-D

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well 30th Sept would be just about as far as a Classic Car summer season could stretch so

So, get your cameras/phones/dash cams whirring and clicking away, and post up any original pic taken tomorrow Wednesday 30th September 2015 of any car/bus/train/aeroplane/motorbike/scooter for us all to enjoy to close the season properly, anywhere on the scale from

1 Totally Boring
2 Boring
3 Bland
4 Anonymous
5 Beige
6 Grey
7 slightly interesting
8 Moderately Interesting
9 Brilliant
10 Excellent

There is an 11 heard uttered at City Hall after a Robin Trower Concert, just prefix excellent with a profanity of your choice :!:

Give it a go :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good job it's my day off tomorrow... I need a helmet cam for my bike :wink:

I shall do my best to get something...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Classic car summer season-What have you spotted-Grand Finale!!!?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Does a Model T Ford (Maroon) on a flat bed comming out of Fleet Services @3.20pm count as a spot ?

MGC (Red) and MGB (Blue) near Warminster and a respot on the Yelow (+ filth+ rust+broken plastic bits)

Merc 109E on the A303....nice clean silver one.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I've got one for you I'm currently driving, 1931 A series ford 35cwt truck

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
NewcastleFalcon

Stickyfinger wrote:Does a Model T Ford (Maroon) on a flat bed comming out of Fleet Services @3.20pm count as a spot ?

MGC (Red) and MGB (Blue) near Warminster and a respot on the Yelow (+ filth+ rust+broken plastic bits)

Merc 109E on the A303....nice clean silver one.

The MG's , standard 10's x 3 x 2 so 60 there, and I do like the subtle bonnet teardrop bulge on the MGC, to allow room for the carbs so take 100.

The Merc if its the baby one, 190E doesn't make it to the 120, but a spot on the "Highway to the Sun" (one of Jim's favourite documentaries-1 hour of a bloke in a Morris Minor talking about the A303) always worth a few bonus points.

So how about 150 all in for that lot :)

The Maroon Model T Ford is in the 120 at 30 points doubled up to 60.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

( with acknowledgement to Keepcalm-o-matic.com)
Deanxm wrote:I've got one for you I'm currently driving, 1931 A series ford 35cwt truck

D
There's a few points for that, 999 if you work for Buck Nasty's Moonshine :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey