I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

addo wrote:That black and gold Healey looks marvellous, but needs a pilot with the sartorial nous of someone like Bunny Roger.
Not exactly Bunny Roger-this is about as much sartorial nous you could hope for with todays Northumberland weather!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...some seem to enjoy it more than others....

.....and if you have an old Bugatti worth a fortune, you would expect appropriate headgear, but maybe not driving it up the tracks of Honister Slate Mine.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I love seeing these get used and enjoyed. Granted some deserve preserving in a museum but not all of them.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of my electronics tutors was very much into restoring Bugatti’s. A tiny fellow he could barely see over the bonnet when stood next to the car.
Excellent tutor and mechanic and a great personality, came from the Jolly family who ran buses in Sunderland.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Great pictures there, chap in the red car is pulling a face to suit the weather!
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote:One of my electronics tutors was very much into restoring Bugatti’s. A tiny fellow he could barely see over the bonnet when stood next to the car.
Excellent tutor and mechanic and a great personality, came from the Jolly family who ran buses in Sunderland.
Article here from the Sunderland Echo a few years ago Steve, about someone bringing the last Jolly bus back from Shropshire with plans to restore it. Its from 2009 so not sure if it has happened yet :!:

Nice two-tone livery cream and brown

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....talking about buses............double points offered for any classic bus spots as well, 999 points for spotting a specially built low top double decker

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

.....oh yes......and its classic motorbike Sunday too! Especially those that were originally consiidered totally uncool, but maybe generate a nostalgic glow now.

Not claiming anything for this but its the type of thing I mean, and spotted one today. Surprise surprise it was blue.

bonus points for a non-blue one

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Applicable in all Countries/ All Continents and specially for Bobins, triple points for any German spots with pictoral evidence :-D

regards Neil

Perhaps this should go in the "Whatisthisthen?" thread, but I'm desperate for the points so it's going in here. :-D Do I get extra extra for it being two-tone ? :wink:

It's definitely foreign..... but what is it ?

I did see a lot of other "classic vehicles" of 50s - 80s vintage, but as they were painted various shades of green and camouflage and some had pointy bits that go bang sticking out of them, I'm not sure they'd count in here ! :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
myglaren wrote:One of my electronics tutors was very much into restoring Bugatti’s. A tiny fellow he could barely see over the bonnet when stood next to the car.
Article here from the Sunderland Echo a few years ago Steve, about someone bringing the last Jolly bus back from Shropshire with plans to restore it. Its from 2009 so not sure if it has happened yet :!:

Nice two-tone livery cream and brown

regards Neil
Duple Dominant II, being a Bedford of that era, probably a YNT chassis.

...in other words, the coach I'd be after if I won the lottery. Volvo B58/B10M is better in every way...but I like the Bedford better. Always loved the look of the Dominant II, just a shame they are so prone to rust around the step and the rear end framework. That's what wrote most of them off.

Didn't *see* any classics today - but heard a heap of very vocal V8 engines bellowing their way down the A421...so something must have been on somewhere...

Finally, not going to cheat and check my photos folder to compare, but I reckon that's a Gaz 21 in the last post...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:.....oh yes......and its classic motorbike Sunday too! Especially those that were originally consiidered totally uncool, but maybe generate a nostalgic glow now.

Not claiming anything for this but its the type of thing I mean, and spotted one today. Surprise surprise it was blue.

I had one of those in Cyprus :evil:

It does not bring back a nostalgic glow! Quite the opposite...

I'll tell the tale one day :roll: :twisted:

Awful bloody things :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Zelandeth wrote:
Finally, not going to cheat and check my photos folder to compare, but I reckon that's a Gaz 21 in the last post...
I reckon Zel wins the coconut there

I was thinking it looked a bit Renault Fregate-like

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
Perhaps this should go in the "Whatisthisthen?" thread, but I'm desperate for the points so it's going in here. :-D Do I get extra extra for it being two-tone ? :wink:
Wel its definitely a 50 pointer on its own if its a Volga GAZ-21...never even heard of them, but definitely a nicely restored one.

Then presuming its a German spot with a picture then the triple points offer has to be honoured....thats 150 so far.

And a Brucie bonus for a two-tone but ordinary or special that is the question. Maybe not the most unusual of two-tone combinations so a definite double but not quite a triple.

All in all 300 points :!:

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

addo wrote:..spotted a home-grown item Friday evening, 1978 Ford Falcon hardtop in yellow with Cobra trimmings. Parked (of course!) in Kings Cross...
......something like this?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

That's rather cool...

Regarding the Gaz, being a Lada enthusiast therefore familiar with many motors from behind the iron curtain I guess I had a bit of an advantage. The instrument panel was the real giveaway though. Eastern Bloc cars have a certain rugged charm that is entirely their own thing.

I can quote from experience over five years and nearly 40K miles (at 10+ years old) that when properly maintained that a Lada can in fact be 100% reliable! Niva too, so the complicated bugger with full time AWD, and fuel injection just for fun. ...in hindsight, it was probably one of the most reliable cars I ever owned so far. We had a couple of "interruptions in progress" but she never failed to get me home - even when the rear propshaft rotoflex coupling detonated one day. Solution? Unbolt rear prop shaft, engage diff lock, and drive home in FWD only...

Saab is a close second with one recovery - but that wasn't the car's fault as it was due to the wrong part being fitted (catalogue error on Intermotor's part)...so I don't hold it against the car.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.