Resetting auto adjuster on clutch cable.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Resetting auto adjuster on clutch cable.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will need the following;

Lots of strong 30cm cable ties (at least 12, more would be better),
An assistant.

The cable itself is of a fixed length. It is the outer sleeving that changes its' length. Once the auto adjuster is free to move it pushes the sleeving apart, thereby taking up any slack in the cable itself. I think it would be difficult to reset the auto adjuster while it is in situ. As I have a spare cable (adjuster already loosened), I was able to try to reset it.

1, Fit two cable ties around the normal sleeving, one at each side of the auto adjuster unit (bellows included). Do not pull them tight yet, you are going to thread more cable ties through them.

2, To get the necessary length, connect 2 cable ties together. Make up several pairs (at least 4 pairs, the more the better). Thread these pairs through the two cable ties on either side of the auto adjuster assembly, and then close each loop. Make sure each loop is 90 degrees round the auto adjuster from its neighbours. Now tighten the original 2 cable ties from step one.

3, Anchor the cable at the pedal end. If you can pull the clutch end taut and anchor it, do so, otherwise maintain the load.

4, Slide the sleeving from the pedal end towards the clutch end until it stops. This will release the ratcheting system. Now push (NOT pull) the sleeving back towards the pedal end. All being well, once the sleeving hits the stop at the pedal end, the bellows should start collapsing. Keep the pressure on until the bellows have completely collapsed into their transit/fitting position, and then hold the sleeving tight.

5, Get your assistant to tighten up the cable tie loops evenly around the bellows. Once they are all tight, they should hold the bellows closed, and the cable can now be fitted or stored until needed. Once fitted, you just need to snip the ties that go around the cable, and the others should drop free.

The reason for so many cable ties is that the spring within the bellows is both strong and flexible. If it can bend out to the side it will, and the hard work is undone.

I am confident I have got this right, and explained it clearly. I will (when I can) post photos to help clarify what I have done.

EDIT; I did find that the spring pushed the bellows out to the side, causing the ratchet to take hold again. To overcome this, I re-did the job but fitted a cable tie around the point where the bayonet fitting is, and another around the bellows themselves. That seems to have resolved that problem.

Thanks to myglaren for posting the pictures, and to Trevor Worcester for being my assistant. Their help is much appreciated.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
percher68
New User
My Cars:

Re: Resetting auto adjuster on clutch cable.

Post by percher68 »

=D> =D> =D> =D> Brilliant post ,managed to do mine on the van ,just pulled it out off its clips and followed your instructions pushing and pulling ,all I had to do was take a bit off tension off the cable by clamping the clutch arm to the first cable bracket ,no cable ties needed [-X and also I did this laying on my back with the van only jacked one side :rofl2: taking all the usual safety precortions off coarse =P~ Thanks for post =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done, and I am glad that this post was able to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Whenever I have an auto adjust cable on a citroen or peugeot that won't pull out I normally lever the clutch arm back with a long bar and hook the cable on. Push the pedal and it should release once the pedal returns.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

James and Myglaren
With your permission, I'd like to add your post and pictures this to the appropriate wiki please.
Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Old-Guy wrote:James and Myglaren
With your permission, I'd like to add your post and pictures this to the appropriate wiki please.
Guy
Fine by me Guy, use anything that I have posted that may be of use.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is also fine with me.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
B11BOB
My Cars: 306 T16
205 gti x 2
205 Dimma

Post by B11BOB »

Hi,
Is there a way to remove the self adjusting mechanism?
Can i not just smash it and disable it ?
Why would you want a self adjusting cable what is the benefit does it last longer ?Or was it designed to put less strain on the cable by having a self adjusting mechanism?
I want to set my biting point where i want it not where the self adjuster wants it.I have tried but it just re adjust itself so route one is remove the mechanism totally if possible.
The other route is to get a custom cable made which due to the lockdown is not possible due to everything being closed.
Any suggestions?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Basically, as the clutch plates wear you would need a greater travel on the pedal, which could mean that, over time, the clutch pedal can no longer move the clutch far enough for it to work. In the past this was managed by occasionally making an adjustment, normally on the lever at the gearbox end of the cable. However, for people who were not mechanically minded this could mean that the car could not be driven until a mechanic came out and made said adjustment (charging by the hour plus call out fee). The self adjusting cable did away with the need for this.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
B11BOB
My Cars: 306 T16
205 gti x 2
205 Dimma

Post by B11BOB »

Ok now i know why this self adjusting cable was made Thank you.
Can the self adjusting mechanism be removed ?I have a paddle clutch and i need a precise biting point at present its to high which loses seconds on each gear change and it is not fun to drive hence i want to remove the mechanism if possible and set the biting point the old way.
Has anyone removed the self adjusting mechanism?