Major Forum Upgrade *Now Complete*

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Major Forum Upgrade *Please Read*

Post by wurlycorner »

Eroe wrote:Hi, all good stuff, but can't find the 'new post' or post button on my dashboard?
I meant 'new posts' not 'make a new post'

When you have the list of threads open, towards the right hand side of each thread header, there's the icon with 2 white boxes (2 bits of paper top of each other) with a red arrow pointing to the right. If you press that it takes you to a new post at the end of that thread.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

Whatever you need to do Jim has to be ok, just as long as you keep the forum going, I for one would be lost without it, there's always someone who comes up with the answer to a question, so keep up the good work,
Cheers mate Bill =P~ :)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I would just like to say a huge thank you to all involved for the immense technical effort freely given to keeping the forum working properly.

I've been totally pre-occupied with other things over the several months and as the 'Green Lady' has just kept going without problems, I'm afraid I've shamefully failed to even visit the forum.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You have not been the only one busy with other things. You may have noticed that the upgrade is still pending, partly delayed by some issues with the new user registration system. We think that those are now solved, so just doing a bit of fine tuning, then we need to find time for the final upgrade procedure.

Watch this space.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

After months of testing and tweaking we are finally ready to install phpBB version 3.1.

The Forum software upgrade has now been scheduled for Wednesday 9th September 2015.

The work will commence early in the day (when Jim wakes up), and should be finished by mid-afternoon, give or take a couple of hours.

This is a major software upgrade and the forum needs to be off-line for several hours while the database is backed-up, the new software installed, the database restructured and the Forum configuration adjusted and tested.

Please try to ensure that your car does not break down on Wednesday, as you will be on your own.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So that means the forum will be off-line from about 04:15 BST on Wednesday Morning....

:-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is it possible the upgrades will lead you towards new demands (costs) of running the forum? Happy to tip in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Is it possible the upgrades will lead you towards new demands (costs) of running the forum? Happy to tip in.
Yes, We're going to have to pay the Admin team double what they earn now...

Still, double zero is still zero so we'll be OK..

Seriously, thanks for asking Adam but at this time it's just a software update to existing infrastructure so we remain OK. Currently the forum bank account is quite health...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

This is a final reminder that the forum will be off-line tomorrow, from about 4:30 am - for as long as it takes - to upgrade the forum software and make some other adjustments.

See you on the other side... [-o<
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

what the heck ?...Jim will go melt down...that's his mid-day :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Good luck with the upgrade folks [-o<
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Well the forum is back on-line running phpBB 3.1, still a bit of testing to do, so it may be up and down for then next few hours.

Changes:
Although we have tried to keep the look-and-feel of the forum unchanged, users may notice a few changes since the phpBB 3.1 upgrade:
  1. The forum now has better rendering on small screens, so can be used directly on phones without the need for Tapatalk (but Tapatalk is still supported).
  2. A new notifications system, similar to those found on Facebook or Google, can inform you of new replies to watched topics, posts quoting you, or new moderation activity.
  3. You will now see an Google Custom Search box on the navigation bar just below the header (not on small screen devices),
    and also near the top of the search page (also on small screen devices, but not tapatalk).
    The new search box performs a Google search of the contents of the forum and wiki. It is rather good. Try searching for C5 rear brakes corrosion in both the new and old search systems, and see which you prefer!
  4. On a forum index page, hovering the mouse over a topic title gives a preview of the first and last posts in the topic.
  5. Users may now upload their avatars from Gravatar (see http://www.gravatar.com).
  6. There is a new user profile field My Cars which shows beside each post (and in a few other places). New users fill in the field during registration, existing users may transfer the data from their signature if they wish.
  7. Various buttons and boxes at the top of the page have moved around
    The Active Topics button now works correctly on all sub-forums.
  8. There are many other changes inside the forum software which should improve reliability and security and make life easier for the moderation and administration team.
Note that if you have ad-blocking software installed on your browser, the Google custom search will only work if you unblock the "Google AJAX Search API" cookie. Gravatar avatars only work properly if you unblock the "Gravatar" cookie.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Mike :-D Many thanks indeed for all your hard work this morning =D>
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Shame, I wanted a Pink forum :(

:) GJ Guys
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Shame, I wanted a Pink forum :(

That'll be available in the next version :wink:
Jim