Interesting Forum Response,,,

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Interesting Forum Response,,,

Post by DickieG »

This evening I've been doing a diagnostic session on a neighbours Peugeot 5008 which is in limp mode and having obtained a few codes I then did a Google search on one of the codes and clicked on the following thread started by a new forum member, reading down the replies the third one is as follows;

"If you'd put as much effort into sorting out the problem as you do registering on here simplky for the purpose of bending our ears (for something which is not the fault of any of us) then this would have been sorted 2 years ago.

Now go away and come back when you're ready to take some responsibility for sticking up for your own consumer rights instead of being happy to keep a car suffering fault after fault after fault."

Nice welcoming response to a brand new member, the best bit for me is that a number of other forum members supported the above comment [-X

Hmm,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Interesting Forum Response,,,

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wow....who sat on a red spider this morning ? ....that's quite "outback"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is why I like this forum. Experienced members treat questions from new members with the consideration and respect they deserve (they have a problem, they have tried to find a solution, they have asked for help). OK, we take the mickey out of each other at times, but it is good humoured banter. Any forum that gave me a reply like that in the OP would get a VERY sharp response, I would warn others of their attitude, and I would leave.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm absolutely shocked :shock:

What a way to treat someone :evil:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:That is why I like this forum. Experienced members treat questions from new members with the consideration and respect they deserve (they have a problem, they have tried to find a solution, they have asked for help). OK, we take the mickey out of each other at times, but it is good humoured banter. Any forum that gave me a reply like that in the OP would get a VERY sharp response, I would warn others of their attitude, and I would leave.

In my book, precisely how any forum should be. May the FCF always enjoy this ethos and as long as the current team of admins and mods are on the scene that will be our goal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I have to say that FCF (Friendly Car Forum) is just that and one of the best. As observed, many of the other forums I am on are becoming more and more like that. I'm sure there is a great research project in it for someone. I think it comes down to those that have been on the forum for a long time/ posted a lot getting fed up (as they see it) of answering the same question time and time again forgetting that it isn't one person asking 1000 times but 1000 people asking once.

Long may FCF remain as it is.
Last edited by rory_perrett on 28 Aug 2015, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sadly, I think it probably reflects the personality of the person involved. I noticed this tendency on another forum some time ago but the offenders seem to have gone quiet now. Forums are here to help people, if you don't want to do that there is not a lot of point being on them.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Every problem is a new one, most are common.

I see no reason to worry that new members ask old questions.

New (ish) members can then assist the new posters and keep the load off those who we all need to help us out when things get more complicated.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Wiki project that Xantia_V6 is setting up is there to try and answer the most frequently asked questions and give exhaustive details on how to tackle problems.

It is only to be expected that the same questions will crop up frequently and as said above it helps no-one to be ratty with new members asking a question that has been asked many times previously - where possible a link to a thread covering that problem will be more than satisfactory until the Wiki is properly established.

We have all been in a position where we have a problem that is new to us but are far from the only ones to experience that problem.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There are some people who do seem to enjoy (for want of any other descriptive word) wallowing in a negative sentiment. I'll be honest and say that yes, I can be quite short with some of them. It's not about burying the negativity, but putting it in perspective and using that as a lever to gain traction with the remaining problems.

If you want another classic forum response, read Post #2 here: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeo ... -mi16.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:mrgreen:
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

That's not some idiot being rude, that's just an excellent sense of humor, brilliant. Would have me doing that starter swap with a smile on my face.

The guy from the pug forum is just a bit of a nob, there are a lot of them around.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

This underneath the post explains a lot :- If if doesn't increase acceleration, improve handling or bring me sexual gratification then I'm not interested!
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The guy on the pug forum is not just a bit of a nob, he is a grade 1 exceptional nob. He thinks he is someone special because he works for the police, in a civilian admin role AFAIK. He is an admin on the c1oc which I frequented when I had the 107, and the young guys on there hero worshipped him. I thought he must have had worse backache than me the amount of time he had his head up his own asre lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You mean there's a C1 Owners Club and forum Davie?

Gosh :shock: I guess I'd best not go there... :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Yes, his user name was Bernard there, and since you are happy with a bog standard c1 vt and you don't want dustbin exhaust, dodgy air filter, silly paint schemes, big alloys, go faster stripes, black windows etc etc and have a c1 that is faster than all BMW and audis on the motorway, has a top speed of 130 mph, and do 78.4mpg all at the same time I would suggest for you not to join it [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2