Blood Pressure Question?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Blood Pressure Question?

Post by CitroJim »

Every week I weigh myself and check my blood pressure, having had a history of both being very high...

I've noticed that over the months the trend has been downward and today, measured during moderate activity (housework) I recorded a score of 102/63 at a pulse of 55 bpm :shock:

This seems a bit lowish but I'm feeling great :? No obvious symptoms of hypotension (i.e. ight-headed/dizzy/faint)...

Weight is 60.5Kg and this gives me a BMI of 18.6 which is borderline... NHS Choices says it's OK though...

Question is, is this blood pressure reading OK and just a result of my fitness and healthy lifestyle (strict home-cooked diet with no additives, very low fat and semi vegetarian) along with a good couple of hours of physical training/workout a day or should I go and have a natter with the doctor?

A bit of additional information is that even when really going for it exercise-wise my heart rate is always on the low side. I really, really have to try hard to hit 85% MPL...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Blood Pressure Question?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is just an average (that the NHS uses). For example, my cousin Ailsa (who lives on the Isle of Wight) has a lower than normal temperature (about 3C lower than most other people). This can cause her problems if the doctor is not aware of this; it certainly caused problems at school. It took a doctors note to the school before they would accept that 37C for her was running a temperature (and when they checked her on a 'healthy' day her temperature was around 34C).

However, I would still have a natter to the doctor. I would rather check something to be told there wasn't a problem, than to leave it until it is too late.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 26 Aug 2015, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds good to me Jim. As with cars, if you working OK I wouldn't worry about it 8-) I was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 years ago, at that time my blood pressure was 140/90. I was put on medication for the diabetes and I was also on blood pressure pills. As a result of cutting down on sugar and other things I lost a couple of stone, my blood pressure is now 130/80 and I am fitter than I have been for a long time which is not bad for a 76 year old, and with no blood pressure medication. My diabetes is improving and my medication has been halved. I'm due for another check up in a couple of weeks so will be interested to see how its going.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Well done, Peter! =D>
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, that really is excellent :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Now we know how the bugger gets 80MPG in his cars - he's lighter than a feather filled with Helium. :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Now we know how the bugger gets 80MPG in his cars - he's lighter than a feather filled with Helium. :twisted:
:rofl2: :rofl2:

To me a C1 is a BIG car Adam :twisted:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re:

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

addo wrote:Now we know how the bugger gets 80MPG in his cars - he's lighter than a feather filled with Helium. :twisted:
With an auxiliary drive system in the C1. Bike pedals and a chain drive (that is how he gets some of his exercise!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good idea James!
Jim

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

CitroJim wrote: my heart rate is always on the low side.
Mine likewise. It's a thing I've never worried about - until I went to the docs with a swollen ankle. The young locum thought it might be a DVT so sent me to A&E. I had an ultra-sound and it was quickly diagnosed as not being, and I expected to be discharged. However I wasn't. Instead I was given several ECG's throughout the evening and kept in overnight. By 10am the following morning I'd been visited by a consultant and his team. He told me my pulse rate was much too low. I told him I'd never felt better. He told me I needed a pacemaker. I was shocked - but finally I let him talk me round. It was fitted the same afternoon. That was three years ago. Now whether I'm resting or exerting, it's always around 75.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

John, that's amazing and a not a little shocking too...

Robyn, my student nurse daughter is coming round this evening with her blood pressure gauge to compare against mine...

She'll no doubt have researched it too...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Re:

Post by Peter.N. »

I still weigh 13 stone and I used to be 6'0" tall :(

JohnD

Unusual to have a very slow pulse and feel OK but probably just as well you got it sorted. My pulse rate is below 60 when I wake up but speeds up a bit during the day.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mine spends an awful lot of time around 50... Such as now...

No problem to get it up to 120-130 or so when heavily working out on the cross-trainer or the bike mounted in the turbo trainer and I can also feel my heart going at a fair pace when swimming too..

Good this is I can hold 120 whilst bike riding on the turbo trainer against a fair old resistance for as long as required without problem. Likewise I can swim 1500m without stopping and in well under an hour. Took me 50 minutes to cover that distance this morning...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You're a lot fitter than me then Jim, I'm worn out after fitting a new oil pump to the Rayburn. :| Mind you I have spent some time practically standing on my head.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds a bit like a job akin to a Xantia clutch clip Peter if it involved standing on your head!!!

I want a Rayburn so badly but my little 70s semi could never accommodate one sadly... I reckon if I had one my baking would be an order of magnitude better and the house would be warmer for sure! Rayburns cook the most fantastic bread and cakes :-D

I have childhood memories of an aunt and uncle with a Rayburn in an otherwise bitterly cold cottage but the room the Rayburn was in (their living room!) was always gorgeously warm and welcoming...

As was the kitchen where they still cooked on a proper kitchen range... Both Rayburn and range burned wood from their own woodland. Truly free energy! In fact the Rayburn used to burn anything vaguely combustible... They had no use of a dustbin at all... All went in the Rayburn...
Jim